Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

4-point harness in a Z Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
mg350ZR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-point harness in a Z Roadster?

Is there a way to attach 4-point harness in a Z Roadster, without using a harness bar and only utilizing existing seatbelt attachment points and/or existing roll hoops?

Has anyone done this?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be scared to do that. Having a harness only assures your head becoming a pivot point during a roll. A cage might be a better idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
XenoJC

Originally Posted by istan
I'd be scared to do that. Having a harness only assures your head becoming a pivot point during a roll.

+1 on the cage, they look awesome too!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 AM
iStan
ZR

I think besides some drifters (forsberg), BamBam may be the only fully caged ZR
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istan
I think besides some drifters (forsberg), BamBam may be the only fully caged ZR
BamBam kit he has is great. I don't think it's track legal at all tracks. But not everyones car is as fast as his. But for everyday driving, for you never know what can happen out there, would really come to your aid if something bad were to happen.

I've been around this car alot and have been all threw it. The cage he has is nice, but causes a little issues of getting in and out of. For me that is no issue and would be all for it. Some others might not like that at all. I guess it depends on what your looking for?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
iStan
ZR

^I nEEd it. haha. Luckily I haven't come across any ZR flipping stories, but it is always in the back of my mind. If I roll, Duck or Die.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
mg350ZR

Thanks for your replies.

Don't really need a cage, as I am not planning to track my Roadster. I simply wanted some seat belts that would help keep me in a seat in a more secure way compared to the OEM seat belts.

Currently, with leather touring seats and OEM belts, it seems like I slide forward a little, especially under braking. Although the belts do lock under moderate/hard braking, they stay loose during lighter brake application, and I have to push myself back in the seat.

I am hoping that having non-retractable 4-point fixed belts would alleviate this problem, and help with keeping me in a seat in a fixed position.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
iStan
ZR

Look into a CGLock. It should provide what you are looking for.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
mwest300zx

Four point harnesses are no longer used. For track events only a 5 or 6 point is used. The 4 pt. won't keep you from submarining and sliding under the harness. Also, if the shoulder straps are going over the top of the seat as in a stock seat and not through the seat as in a racing seat the straps are uselss in the event of an accident and may actually cause more injury. If all you care about is the look of it then I guess it does not matter, but other wise the harness is useless.

You can get cam locks to use on your oem belts, they would help keep the belt more secure and limit some sliding around that the standard belts permit.

Last edited by mwest300zx; 11-15-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure, but I understood there were 2 DOT approved 4-point harnesses. These had large easy to use central unlock buttons and one of the shoulder straps has an expansion section built in to prevent submarining..
I beleive Schroth is one of them.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
mwest300zx

BamBam, I am not familiar with the harness you are describing. All I know is none of the groups I run with permit the 4pt harnesses anymore. PDA, PCA, NASA NorthEast, SCDA, CART. They all went to 5 and 6 pt. harnesses. Also, if he does not have a racing seat with slots for the shoulder straps to run through the harness is almost useless from a safety standpoint.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, I went and checked their site and I notice the DOT approved statement was removed, but now it says these are recommended for street if you can not go with a 5 or 6 point.

http://www.schrothracing.com/product...m/profi-II-asm

As you said, it mentions not using stock seats with a submarine strap but appears to say it is OK for this setup? I am not sure. I have aftermarket seats and a harness bar/cage myself.

I completely agree with you MWEST, if he is just looking for something to keep him more firmly planted in the seat for 'spirited' driving on the street, the best option would be the something like CG-Lock http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

Good luck and stay safe guys.
--B
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM
mwest300zx

BamBam,
That's an interesting set up. Thanks for including the link to their sight. I guess they should know what they are doing. Without a harness bar it looks like this would be complicated to install in a 350 roadster. I agree the cam lock would be a much more practical alternative for use on the street.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Phreakdout

There's a company in Japan that makes a bracket for the harness in a Z. Keep in mind that the photos are for a RHD.

www.prostock.co.jp

The website is a pain to navigate. Products / Exterior - Interior: You will see these pic. It appears to be about $170.

You could have it made cheaper.

I have no idea what it is screwed to behind the panel. I assume this works if you don't have a sub. You get the idea though. The panel is slit so it could still be removed. I'm sure something could be fabricated.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Dr. Venture

^ see thats a great idea. But in a serious crash i just wonder if the welds would hold up.

got me thinking of designing something like that.

I personally wanted to do a 3 point, and i think a neat design would work better for that in the Z with this idea.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Phreakdout

In Z Magazine, I saw many of the race prep cars using what appears to be a screw in eye bolt. If the metal is solid enough, yes it should hold just fine. Keep in mind that you want the ability to remove it should you need to remove interior panels.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Dr. Venture

What i was thinking of doing was making 2 sides that bolt in somewhere, and a steel bar going across the back right under the lil speaker. And use a 3 point harness. That way the harness can move side to side along the bar.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 AM
callia6

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
There's a company in Japan that makes a bracket for the harness in a Z. Keep in mind that the photos are for a RHD.

www.prostock.co.jp

The website is a pain to navigate. Products / Exterior - Interior: You will see these pic. It appears to be about $170.

I have no idea what it is screwed to behind the panel. I assume this works if you don't have a sub. You get the idea though. The panel is slit so it could still be removed. I'm sure something could be fabricated.
NEWEST FROM CALLIA6: Where can I get those brackets now for my z? @Phreakdout
Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout

www.prostock.co.jp

Before anybody gets too excited about this harness bracket, let me be the first to say that mounting the harness belts in that manner is both DANGEROUS and INEFFECTIVE. Every harness belt maker out there will tell you that the harness should be mounted at a 90 degree angle to the shoulder line, with as little belt "slack" as possible. In the event of a shunt, even extremely tight belts will stretch slightly and that one will stretch like a SOB. Worse, the angle of the mounting will tend to provide spinal compression fractures to the wearer.

You're better off using the OEM belts than that piece of crap!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by iStan
^I nEEd it. haha. Luckily I haven't come across any ZR flipping stories, but it is always in the back of my mind. If I roll, Duck or Die.
They can, and do, happen:

Last edited by dkmura; 02-27-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 4-point harness in a Z Roadster?