Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convertible top problem

Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
joepark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top problem

I was another recent post. I am having a similar problem. I tried to open the top, then windows went down but top stayed up. When I press the button it sounds like it trys to open but stops. Also, the light for the top came on. any ideas what is wrong?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 PM
koolboyztn

have you checked the fuse and relay yet?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 AM
skyhiguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joepark,

your symptoms sound exactly how mine starter out a short time ago. fuses were fine but can "reset / relatch" by pushing down on the rear of the top below the rear window ,what they call the 5th bar. If this works I highly advise lubricating all the moving parts..... see description on other thread involving top problems. That will help lessen the load on the 5th bar motor and may extend it's life otherwise you will wind up where I did:

Had / having similar problems. Top initially would not begin retract (open) sequence after windows opened and pax seat moved forward, I heard latches clicking in back but no top movement. This left yellow top not closed light on on console. Took to dealer and they pushed rear portion of top down relatching and all was well for a short time. I told them that was the effect of problem, not the cause, but could not duplicate further.

30 plus days later more top trouble. Failed mid opening sequence with hard cover open and soft top pointing straight up in the air. Manually stowed soft top and this allowed sequencing to hard cover to close over top so I could at least drive it. Several failed top operations later took to another dealer who is now trouble shooting.

Learned that top for this car has 4 motors - a left and a right for soft top, one for hard shell and one for the 5th bar - the rear portion of the soft top that opens first prior to hard shell. They feel this 5th bar motor is my problem.

I've passed along all the useful info I've just learned here and will advise final outcome.

Sure seems like alot of people are having similar problems yet Nissan acts as if it is news to them.

Result;Replaced 5th bar motor to the tune of $1300+ installed, out of warranty so out of pocket. So far Nissan feels no need to cover this expense and acts like no one else is having this problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
fakepopster

Hello. Regarding your 5th bow top motor. Do you know what the part number was and/or how to get to it? I have the same prob. I replaced both motors on the top...but did not know there was another one. I'm hoping they use the same motor. Thanks Scott
Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM
skyhiguy

fakepopster,

The 5th bar motor part number shows as 97100-CE41A with a list price of $691.31. They seem to be the weak link in the system, appear too weak in power to handle the load required.

Good Luck,

Bud
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
joepark

well spring is here so i decided to take the car to the dealership to get it inspected. they claim the 5th bar motor needs to be replaced. total cost $1100 installed. called a third party for a price and total price is $802 installed. Hopefully this fixes the problem. keep u updated and thx for the help all.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 AM
NJ350zr

I have only had my roadster for 1 year and 2 months (bought new) and I my top gets down and almost closes and stops.. I keep trying until it finally budges through

does anyone know if the top is covered by any warrantees?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
07roadster

Yea... if it is under factory warranty it will cover mechanical problems with the top...
Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM
chickenputo

I am having a problem after installing a Robbins top. The top wont sit perfectly down so lid never closes completely. anybody know any quick fixes for that?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Mike M

Originally Posted by chickenputo
I am having a problem after installing a Robbins top. The top wont sit perfectly down so lid never closes completely. anybody know any quick fixes for that?

A Robbins top?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:51 PM
chickenputo

its an aftermarket top maker...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM
doorpro

Default Same thing started here too

Hi all,

my wife's 06 has just started doing this and of course the car is just out of warantee.

If what i am reading here is correct I can surely extend the length of the motor life by servicing the top, its bars and motors, is this true?

Also i should add that because this issue has just started happening that she can make it work 9 times out of 10 if she closes the roof and starts over but i really dont want this to get worse being that the car is barely three years old with about 17k miles on it.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated
regards,
Doug.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
doorpro

Hello again,

on further inspection i found that the second bow which not only has the elastic attached at either end but a cover piece of vinyl which had caught up on something and the metal clamp that holds the trim in place was bent and the trim piece was out of its track.

I put the trim back in place and bent the metal back in place with vice grips and that did the trick, the roof now works perfectly

Now, i can only imagine that either the elastic didnt do its job properly or the joints may be drying up and in need of lube so i am going to either change or re-inforce the elastic and lube up all fittings and i expect no further problems.

I hope that this helps anyone else with similar troubles and I am also going to buy an after market warantee which is not only cheap at about $600 but will also cover the roof.

best regards,
Doug.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
DocJ

I had similar problem on my 05 zr. Started with 5th bow sounding sluggish & weak like motor was straining. Had several times where it wouldn't budge, but heard the latch in back "click" with top indicator light coming on. Sometimes with several attempts it would go. Finally got to where it wouldn't open, but windows & such would go down like normal early cycle. Turned out it wasn't my 5th bow motor, but some sort of regulator that controls all the different motors cycling at specific times. Luckily, I had purchased an extended warranty which covered most of the repair cost. Just fyi, may not be the 5th bow motor which is what I had expected to hear.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Blooster

Good information - thanks for posting!!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
chrisb111

Question

I recently had the same problem with my convertible top. It wont retract all the way back. I am currently getting price quotes from several dealerships ranging from $1500 for part and installation. I’m thinking about trying to see if I can find the part cheaper at another place. Does anybody know exactly where this motor is or do you have a picture so I can find this motor and attempt to replace it myself. Also has anybody replaced it themselves? If so, what is the skill level needed to replace this motor? Hope someone can help me out. Thanks, Chris
Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 AM
mrsfye

I just started having this problem with my 2004 350Z. Out of warranty. Told by dealership that they are aware of the problem but usually happens within the first few thousand miles so it is still covered. Has anyone contacted Nissan to see if they will do somethin about it?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Starchecker

Wow this is some scary stuff. I went to put my top up, heard a pop noise, like some mechanism caught but then released. Top closed fine. Then Opened fine. When it was about to rain and I needed to put it back up, it popped again and this time closed all the way, except the back end(part with window in it) wouldn't go down to close.

Went to check mechanisms and linkage and guess what? The freaking screw that ties the driver's side shock absorber mechanism and come completely out, so it was only connected to one side.

So now it doens't work I don't know if the imbalanced load from only the right side linkage being connected fried the 5th motor or what. I will update when I hear from the dealership.

What a bunch of crap. I just went out of warrany in middle of May.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 PM
ldnhhi

your cable is slipping. i had the same problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Starchecker

Well just heard back from Nissan.

One loose bolt cost me $661!!!

The popping noise I heard was the shock absorber/control arm getting caught between the metal top cover and the plastic behind the seat. This did a few things. It damaged the plastic part behind the rollbar(behind the headrests). That part alone is $171, but they might be able to salvage it. Both the control arms are damaged as a result as well as the bracket on the left side.

So total damage with tax and labor is $661, they gave me a 10% discount so really $595.

Beats replacing the motor, but I could have spent the money better elsewhere LOL.

Bottom line here is my PSA - CHECK THE CONNECTION ON THOSE CONTROL ARMS

I will do it from now on whenever I wash my car. Only time to check it is when the back part of the top is lifted up, just make sure they aren't coming loose where they can cause all kinds of grief.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convertible top problem