Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
tblunt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked both links and the original as well as mine both worked so uhmm, dunno there man.
Best of luck to the guy doing his today, post pics and let us know!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
AKphoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first link takes me to the download page. But After I download it Adobe reader says the file is bad.
The second link just takes me to a black screen.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
bigbirdmodeZ

Talking completed

All finished!

Just snapped a couple pics during the whole thing with my Iphone. Its actually pretty straight forward, I barely had to look at the DIY. You can make it a lot rougher on yourself if you don't put the top into the right positions throughout the removal and install. I'd say the hardest part was right above the door handles. There is a a screw on each side and I couldn't figure out the appropriate top position to get it out and back on easily. A shortly Phillips was still too long. I ended up using a Phillips drill bit connected to a small socket wrench. One of those thumb screw drivers would have been perfect, but I didn't feel like going to go buy one.

I purchased a Robbins 2150 from Ebay for $689 including shipping. I bought it on Friday and it arrived on Wednesday morning. This top is quality, had ZERO alignment issues. It came with replacement bow straps, and rivets. Plus, the back glass is no longer stitched in (looks a ton better IMO).

It took me about 2.5 hours to get the top off while learning its assembly and then 3.5 hours for fitment. I went what I felt was pretty slow as well. All in all I would definitely recommend this DIY as apposed to paying a dealership 1k$ or a shop $600. Shame on them.

If anyone as questions let me know.

BG
Attached Thumbnails IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-img_1277.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-img_1281.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-img_1284.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-img_1290.jpg  

Last edited by bigbirdmodeZ; 10-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good. Anyone have a link they could reupload using a different server? I'm not able to access the files either.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Originally Posted by dfresh713
Looks good. Anyone have a link they could reupload using a different server? I'm not able to access the files either.
Everything I've found is a 5mb file limit. This pdf is 6.94mb. PM me your email and I'll email it to you.

BG
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
AKphoto

Nice work.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 PM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Awesome!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Tracktimeplz

God I had a horrible time doing this top... I had it off in less than 2 hours, but putting it back on took me 10... EZ-ON my *** lol

Blame it on the ADD, repeated several steps due to screwing up the order, and the horrible instructions that came with the EZ-ON top.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM
kasemodz

Hey everybody I bought a 2004 350z convertible (daytona blue metallic color) and its fantastic. I want to replace the convertible top. I got a few quotes locally and they are about 1500-1800 installed with cloth top.

There are quite a few members here with Robbins 2150 Cloth Top. How are they holding up? Did you guys select the cloth top or the vinyl? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
chidad1

Default Looking for the installation instructions for a new ragtop for my 2004 350Z

Looking for the installation instructions for a new rag top for my 2004 350Z. Does anyone have a detailed set of instructions or video to share? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chidad1
Looking for the installation instructions for a new rag top for my 2004 350Z. Does anyone have a detailed set of instructions or video to share? Thanks!
Check the first post in this thread. The Host 2 link has instructions.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha looks really good! i got the same top and i paid 600 for install haha..

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ
All finished!

Just snapped a couple pics during the whole thing with my Iphone. Its actually pretty straight forward, I barely had to look at the DIY. You can make it a lot rougher on yourself if you don't put the top into the right positions throughout the removal and install. I'd say the hardest part was right above the door handles. There is a a screw on each side and I couldn't figure out the appropriate top position to get it out and back on easily. A shortly Phillips was still too long. I ended up using a Phillips drill bit connected to a small socket wrench. One of those thumb screw drivers would have been perfect, but I didn't feel like going to go buy one.

I purchased a Robbins 2150 from Ebay for $689 including shipping. I bought it on Friday and it arrived on Wednesday morning. This top is quality, had ZERO alignment issues. It came with replacement bow straps, and rivets. Plus, the back glass is no longer stitched in (looks a ton better IMO).

It took me about 2.5 hours to get the top off while learning its assembly and then 3.5 hours for fitment. I went what I felt was pretty slow as well. All in all I would definitely recommend this DIY as apposed to paying a dealership 1k$ or a shop $600. Shame on them.

If anyone as questions let me know.

BG
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 AM
thomaskuhn

Default New Top Install Help

I posted this in the maintenance forum but I think adding here might be a better location...

I am 99% finished installing a new Robbins cloth top top on my 2006 350Z, and I have run into a big snag.

I used a combination of the my350z.com top install guide and the Robbins guide. When all was said and done, I realized that I can not get the rear of the top to close all the way. I notice that when the rear of the top closes onto the hatch, it is getting pulled down, and it seems like the hatch is getting pulled up a little bit. There is a gap of about 1/4" between the hatch and the gasket. Originally I could not close the front latch at all, but Now I can, but I have to pull a little. Everything seems too tight. The top is "Drum" tight The to I know that the Robbins instructions said on step #3:

"Align front edge of #3 Listing with rear edge of the plastic strip on #4 listing, make sure L&R ends are in alignment and then attach velcro together."

With a caution note "Overlapping Velcro too far will make the listing panel too short causing a gap between the rear weather seal nd the deck Lid"

I am not sure is is screwed up because of this?? I got really confused about where the 4th Bow goes in relation to Velcro areas of the top. I am confused as to whether both 3 and 4 should be in the same loop. Should #4 have been in the other Velcro loop above the window? Please see pictures. There is a big velcro loop that I Think holds the the 3rd and 4th Bow, but what is the other velcro loop for?
Attached Thumbnails IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-top0001.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-top0002.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-top0003.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-top0004.jpg   IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-top0005.jpg  

IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-inst.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 03:10 AM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by thomaskuhn
I posted this in the maintenance forum but I think adding here might be a better location...

I am 99% finished installing a new Robbins cloth top top on my 2006 350Z, and I have run into a big snag.

I used a combination of the my350z.com top install guide and the Robbins guide. When all was said and done, I realized that I can not get the rear of the top to close all the way. I notice that when the rear of the top closes onto the hatch, it is getting pulled down, and it seems like the hatch is getting pulled up a little bit. There is a gap of about 1/4" between the hatch and the gasket. Originally I could not close the front latch at all, but Now I can, but I have to pull a little. Everything seems too tight. The top is "Drum" tight The to I know that the Robbins instructions said on step #3:

"Align front edge of #3 Listing with rear edge of the plastic strip on #4 listing, make sure L&R ends are in alignment and then attach velcro together."

With a caution note "Overlapping Velcro too far will make the listing panel too short causing a gap between the rear weather seal nd the deck Lid"

I am not sure is is screwed up because of this?? I got really confused about where the 4th Bow goes in relation to Velcro areas of the top. I am confused as to whether both 3 and 4 should be in the same loop. Should #4 have been in the other Velcro loop above the window? Please see pictures. There is a big velcro loop that I Think holds the the 3rd and 4th Bow, but what is the other velcro loop for?
I had that same problem when I first installed my top. It just has to stretch. It may take a couple of days. I put my car in the garage with the top folded over night and the next day I was able to close it all the way.

Also, try and leave the front unlatched until the rear is finished latching. Then you can pull on the front to close.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 AM
SHILOW

Name:  top1.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  28.0 KB
Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM
arke4031

I put my top on this weekend. I took my time and it seems to have gone on well. Unfortunately it rained today and I have a wet passengers seat. The water seems to be dripping from the weatherstrip/ front bow joint. I took off the weatherstrip of the passenger window and saw that the water channeled behind the weatherstrip and dripped down. I noticed that there was originally a sealant securing the weatherstripping to the stainless steel anchor channel. Does anyone know what sealant they used in this location?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM
wmj301

Default DIY Top Replacement? Read this FIRST!

Should you install your own top?

I purchased a top from convertibletopguys.com. Their website makes it sound pretty straight forward.. includes step by step etc.

They shipped me a top manufactured by Kee Auto Tops. The Kee website recommends having the top professionally installed. At the advice of the local Nissan dealership, I took the top to a local upholstery shop that has over 40 years experience - and does all the tops for the Nissan dealership.

The Kee Auto Top was ill-fitting to the point where the top would neither open or close without manually manipulating the top. It also had wrinkles in the rear left hand corner and the holes in the top didn't align with the holes in the car. There were some more issues but suffice it to say, it looked miserable.

Kee and convertibletopguys were of little help in resolving the issues. To be honest, there was virtually no support that was of any value from either of them. Despite what they claim on their websites - they were not forthcoming with any resolutions or credits toward a remedy.

The upholstery shop ordered a GAHH top for me and installed that top (of course - all at my expense... but they were fair). The GAHH top looks AWESOME.

A month and a half later, I got part of my money back for the top - but still was about $600 over budget on the whole adventure. My advice? Get a pro - and use a GAHH top (or one of similar quality) but stay away from Kee and convertibletopguys.com.

My conclusion was.. if I EVER do this myself... I'll at least start with a quality top.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Z_Me_Go

This Guide Was so helpful and made putting on the new top easier than expected...still took 5 hours though!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Z_Me_Go

Default New Burgandy Top

here's a pic
IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide-1150797_10200402633978191_850150731_n.jpg
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
crd00

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have the first guide that was uploaded? It says the file is damaged in adobe reader. I'm installing my top in the next couple of weeks and a DIY guide would help big time lol

Quick Reply: IT HAS ARRIVED!!! - The 1st DIY-350Z Roadster - Top / Canvas Replacement Guide