Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Has anyone besides me ordered the smoothline hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM
na_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scruggyj
The hardtop has arrived - I had it shipped to my body shop as shipping to a business was cheaper. I got some quick pics.

Looks pretty good except for the very back under the window seems kind of thin. Some small stress cracks I guess from shipping. I hope putting the window in will help make it a little more sturdy.

the shop can't fit me in until May 23rd. So at that time I will test fit and have them paint and assemble. Would hope to have it back by the end of that week.

I just ordered the base top with the primer finish. The interior is just like a charcol carpet glued to the inside. However, you could upgrade that if that is what you want.

Once I get the top done and installed I will take pics and start a new thread and put a link to it in this one.

Any updates yet on finished product? I set up a reminder on my phone too check this thread
Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
scruggyj

It is at the body shop now. I know they are test fitting. I am going to try and swing by tomorrow and see whats up. Maybe snap some quick pics.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
na_350z

It is at the body shop now. I know they are test fitting. I am going to try and swing by tomorrow and see whats up. Maybe snap some quick pics.
Awesome... I'll check back in a few days to see your progress. Have a good one bro.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM
RodgePodge

I look forward to seeing it and to getting a real review from someone in this community
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
scruggyj

Default test fit pics

I went by the body shop and got some quick pics. Overall I think it looks pretty good. This is just a quick test fit so once I get it painted and intalled all the way I can give a better review but for now here are some pics.

I plan to have it painted red to match the car - now it is just a primer flat black.

Can't see it too good here but there is a section that goes over and a section that goes under the windshield to hold it down. There are no latches for the front.

This is one of the side hooks. It hooks in by the seatbelt under the spring loaded door.

This is the back hook.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
RodgePodge

Looks good!! Not sure how I feel about those hooks but I like the way it looks! Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

carbon fiber for the win btw.....

otherwise.. its a coupe, yet even smaller now.

Dunno.. im 6'4.. could never fit a convertbl anyways.
props to a one of a kind so far tho.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
driftk1d

looks smooth. how exactly do the hooks work? is it difficult to get on and off? weight? sorry for all the questions lol
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
na_350z

I went by the body shop and got some quick pics. Overall I think it looks pretty good. This is just a quick test fit so once I get it painted and intalled all the way I can give a better review but for now here are some pics.

I plan to have it painted red to match the car - now it is just a primer flat black.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Can't see it too good here but there is a section that goes over and a section that goes under the windshield to hold it down. There are no latches for the front.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is one of the side hooks. It hooks in by the seatbelt under the spring loaded door.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the back hook.
[IMG][/IMG]
Wow it looks good. Thanks for the pics. We actually have the same wing. It gives it a different look from their test car. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Would look better if they made it look more like the Mugen S2000 hardtop with the character lines flowing past the top of the windows.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The top looks a lot better on your car than the mockup z. But those hooks are so ghetto - looks like smoothline ran to home depot and raided the hardware aisle for some threaded rod, washers and a few lock nuts. Doesn't even appear to be grade 8 or they would be slightly gold in color.

Did you get the glass window with the defroster, or the plexiglass?

Good luck, and I give you mad credit for being the guinea pig, but IMO that top is $800 tops, and very disappointing. Sorry but no way in hell am I paying 2 grand for that.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 AM
scruggyj

Originally Posted by driftk1d
looks smooth. how exactly do the hooks work? is it difficult to get on and off? weight? sorry for all the questions lol
It only weighs like 40lbs. I should not be too difficult to put on and off but best with two people.

I modded my spring loaded doors. There is a lip on the top of the door that catches on the top cover lid. I cut those lips off so I could lift the door with the top cover down and not have to lift it everytime I wanted access to latch that hook.

The back hook goes down in the existing hole and screws down. Here are some pics from the install instructions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015218@N06/5767714307/http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015218@N06/5767714307/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/58015218@N06/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015218@N06/5768258692/http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015218@N06/5768258692/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/58015218@N06/, on Flickr
Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM
scruggyj

Originally Posted by myork
The top looks a lot better on your car than the mockup z. But those hooks are so ghetto - looks like smoothline ran to home depot and raided the hardware aisle for some threaded rod, washers and a few lock nuts. Doesn't even appear to be grade 8 or they would be slightly gold in color.

Did you get the glass window with the defroster, or the plexiglass?

Good luck, and I give you mad credit for being the guinea pig, but IMO that top is $800 tops, and very disappointing. Sorry but no way in hell am I paying 2 grand for that.
The hooks are all behind you and you won't see them just getting in and out from everyday driving.etc You have to be looking for them.

I got the regular plex window I did not upgrade that.

I needed a new top. I mean a whole new cage/frame and softtop so it was either replace all that or buy the hardtop. since this is a toy car for me I opted for the hardtop.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by bmccann101
carbon fiber for the win btw.....

otherwise.. its a coupe, yet even smaller now.

Dunno.. im 6'4.. could never fit a convertbl anyways.
props to a one of a kind so far tho.
I'm 6'5" and I fit just fine bro.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider Monkey
I'm 6'5" and I fit just fine bro.
I'm not sure how you are 6'5 and fit just fine. I'm also 6'4 and was uncomfortable with the sitting position and leg position in the convertible.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by marques1
I'm not sure how you are 6'5 and fit just fine. I'm also 6'4 and was uncomfortable with the sitting position and leg position in the convertible.
Not sure bro. I just sit in the seat and drive. There's really only one position with the seat all the way back and its pretty much like every other driver's position...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
TURBOROADSTER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marques1
I'm 6'0 and with the seat all the way back and reclined all the way back , it is a perfect fit . I could not imagine being any taller though , it probably would be uncomfortable .
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
murders

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Would look better if they made it look more like the Mugen S2000 hardtop with the character lines flowing past the top of the windows.
I hear ya.....we mentioned in the concept stages. If they did this then im sure it would have been a hot item,

If i had the resources i would jump on replicating that style for us roadster owners and we would be happy !

I think the top should have come back a little further towards trunk, less rake.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
RodgePodge

Does it help diminish highway noise? Have you gotten to drive around with it?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
scruggyj

Originally Posted by RodgePodge
Does it help diminish highway noise? Have you gotten to drive around with it?
Not yet. I will give a full report next week when I get it back.

Quick Reply: Has anyone besides me ordered the smoothline hardtop?