Finished Smoothline Hardtop with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lgear080
so you neffy wrapped it? that's not bad at all

still want to see more...

resmarted - can you shoot it from a distance? without the bumper on the roof?
Ill see what I can do for ya. The car has a very nice side profile now. Give me a day or two and I'll have some better pics (Albiet without body parts on lol)

Convince your wife its a "smart buy" (this is the "primary" reason I got it).
Each motor costs 400$ minimum, without install. There are 5 motors. together thats 2 grand. Then the cost of the canvas top is at least a few hundred. So with ******** if so facto theory to replace the top it will cost at least 2.5k if you did the work yourself. (Now in reality the motors ALL dont cost exactly 400 but some of them are more, some of them are less, we are just finding reasons to buy the top here ).
Tell her that its cheaper to buy the top and use it than to wait for the oem one to fail/tear apart. That way you can have a top when it does finally let go, and the one you have now will last longer.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by dcains
No, not around the window. Between the body and top there's a pic showing light leaks, which of course mean water leaks. Do those get sealed when the top is fully tightened to the body?
If you see one of my pics you will see that the seal is much smaller than before, and as I have previously stated the top isn't fully sealed down.
I would expect the seal to be fully made once I reinstall the rear glass and fully tighten it down.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry but i am not digging it. thanks for the pictures though.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 PM
dvsone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It actually looks nice! Not sure I would want to chunk $2600 down the drain atm for one.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvsone
It actually looks nice! Not sure I would want to chunk $2600 down the drain atm for one.
^THIS^
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Resmarted

I saw it as a performance upgrade (remove motors etc) and its pretty much cheaper than me replacing the motors and canvas top (which more than a couple of motors died on me and the top started tearing).
Also it looks rather good.
I'd post more pictures but ive been busy, and the car has overfenders on it.... too ugly and unfinished to show off, and tooo far from stock to give anyone any better of an idea of the way it looks. I honestly think the cf+silverstone looks tasty.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

imo no like!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I kind of like the tops. I think for a price of $1,200 painted would be fair price.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Venom36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the only company making hardtops?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Venom36

I think it looks OK its a little akward. I think they could have done a better job I mean have you guys seen those S2000s hardtops. They are amazing. I kind of regret buying a Roadster and I just baught it a month ago.lol. When I finished paying it ima see if some old man would buy so i could get the coupe.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Venom36
I think it looks OK its a little akward. I think they could have done a better job I mean have you guys seen those S2000s hardtops. They are amazing. I kind of regret buying a Roadster and I just baught it a month ago.lol. When I finished paying it ima see if some old man would buy so i could get the coupe.
Yeah it's different but it kind of grows on you. In person you can see the slopes of the car kind of mesh nice on the rear better than in the pictures. I would kill for a spoon style roof on this car. honestly.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
laurentj23

Idk whether someone asked this before but does it minimize wind/road noise?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by laurentj23
Idk whether someone asked this before but does it minimize wind/road noise?
It was pretty quiet actually, gave the car a more cabin acoustic effect. Not sure how loud road db's are though compared to the soft top. Right about the same time I did the top I added R888's, but I'm pretty sure it cut down the noise quite dramatically; the exhaust I had was seriously less loud in car with the top (drone was still there but it was less piercing, the exhaust setup could set off car alarms regularly LOL).
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 AM
vtecsux

Great top BUT expensive!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM
RodgePodge

Any long term updates?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
scruggyj

Originally Posted by RodgePodge
Any long term updates?
I still really like mine.

I get some wind noise but that could be my car and not the top. I got the top because a tree limb fell and crushed my soft top. So that could have some effect on how the hard top fits if these was some bowing or anything due to the limb..etc.

Overall I still like it a lot and do not regreat the purchase at all. I also don't have a soft top either.

Last edited by scruggyj; 12-13-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
scruggyj

I have searched on the internet and have not really seen any others besides the test car, mine and resmart's. I though I would have seen a few others by now.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Phreakdout

Smile

Originally Posted by dfresh713
I kind of like the tops. I think for a price of $1,200 painted would be fair price.
I hate to sound cheap, but I'm kind of in the same boat on this one. Here are my thoughts on this:

1) Not sure if the larger window gets you anything. The loops behind the headrest obstruct your view more than the small OEM window. So I'd lean towards the same size window as OE.

2) For anyone who is looking to track day their roadster: This is an advantage. You may get past inspection for not having a roll cage. So you're advantage is that you can remove the 132# power top and motor assembly with a few bolts and run with a lighter hard top. Putting it back in is easy!

3) For those with broken motors or torn tops, This is an easy replacement. The top replacement is a serious job and motors are expensive.

I think Smoothlines did a good job. I seriously recommend they "or a volunteer car" attend ZdayZ next may sporting one of these tops. (I volunteer if you need one!) Let the Z community see it first hand and gage their reaction. Bring a 10x10 tent and set it up in the parking lot with the other venders. There are a lot of convertibles attending ZdayZ. It would make good PR photos for your website.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I hate to sound cheap, but I'm kind of in the same boat on this one. Here are my thoughts on this:

1) Not sure if the larger window gets you anything. The loops behind the headrest obstruct your view more than the small OEM window. So I'd lean towards the same size window as OE.

2) For anyone who is looking to track day their roadster: This is an advantage. You may get past inspection for not having a roll cage. So you're advantage is that you can remove the 132# power top and motor assembly with a few bolts and run with a lighter hard top. Putting it back in is easy!

3) For those with broken motors or torn tops, This is an easy replacement. The top replacement is a serious job and motors are expensive.

I think Smoothlines did a good job. I seriously recommend they "or a volunteer car" attend ZdayZ next may sporting one of these tops. (I volunteer if you need one!) Let the Z community see it first hand and gage their reaction. Bring a 10x10 tent and set it up in the parking lot with the other venders. There are a lot of convertibles attending ZdayZ. It would make good PR photos for your website.
Unless someone wants to pay for boarding and fuel, or I win the lotto no way I can trek 2,400 miles! I am planning on attending tx2k12 though!

Long term updates? None, car has not been running in months, lol!

Originally Posted by scruggyj
I have searched on the internet and have not really seen any others besides the test car, mine and resmart's. I though I would have seen a few others by now.
Word I thought the same. It is kinda cool though, we're in our own little club LOL

Last edited by Resmarted; 12-14-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Unless someone wants to pay for boarding and fuel, or I win the lotto no way I can trek 2,400 miles! I am planning on attending tx2k12 though!

Long term updates? None, car has not been running in months, lol!
LOL - We had a guy from Oregon attend ZdayZ last year. You wouldn't be the first from such a distance.

It's a bummer that your car has been down for so long. I'm sure smoothlines wishes you were out there advertising for them.

If they will pay to ship it there and back, I'd be happy to mount it up on my Z and setup a display for them. Just provide a good crate, ship it directly to Fontana Village. When ZdayZ is over, I'll put it back in the crate and smoothlines can ship it back. Include some flyers or materials to pass out.

Quick Reply: Finished Smoothline Hardtop with PICS!