Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Finished Smoothline Hardtop with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 AM
laurentj23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my top today after ordering nov of last year. Im not impressed and the quality of the product is not up to par with the price.

The top is not sealed properly. A lof of wind noise coming from the side window. The instruction stated that the body shop need to glue in the rear window and the side stripping. When i got the product, both side stripping and windown is already glued in.

The instructions come with 3 hooks. They only provides with 2 instead.

Im gonna wash the car and see how bad the water leaks.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Spider Monkey

That does not sound like it will end well.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
switchgears

Well, this was a blast to read. I guess its a love hate relationship with this. I want to get one, but im terrified of it being a failure and thats a hefty amount of money to drop for that.
Wind noise any1 can deal with. How ever leaking? No. Overall it looks good. But the problems you select few who took the risk to buy it are stating kinda makes man triple think.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
scruggyj

Thankfully my Z is not my DD so I have no leaking issues because I only drive it on nice days..etc However, I don't think I would have an huge leaking issues if I did. I have been caught out in the rain a few times and other than a little drop or two from the top of the window moving at high speeds on the hwy I had no issue.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Drove my car at 12Xmph, no wind noise.

Getting the top to seal correctly is difficult. Sorry I couldn't help you out better lauren

Even drove her in light rain before I tore her apart, was fine...

I think the key is in the heat cycling process and making sure you put the rubber in the right spot. If you're not comfortable with installing it yourself, take it to a shop! I cut a bunch of my oem rubber grommets...

Last edited by Resmarted; 03-26-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Sue Smoothline

Default Class Action against Smoothine

If anybody else has had a bad experience with Smoothline, I have created a face book group called "Smoothline Hardtops". Perhaps we can club together for a lawyer before these crooks rob someone else with their shoddy products.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM
NissanZguy

Looks good, everything else is questionable though.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
ProChargedZR

Originally Posted by Sue Smoothline
If anybody else has had a bad experience with Smoothline, I have created a face book group called "Smoothline Hardtops". Perhaps we can club together for a lawyer before these crooks rob someone else with their shoddy products.
I want to start off with stating that I have no affiliation with Smoothline, I don't know anyone that works there, nor do I intend on buying any of their products, but good luck getting much traction. Especially when you create an account for the explicit purpose of bashing a company.

I doubt you will get anyone to label any lawsuit again them as a "Class Action" for the simple fact that I doubt there has been over $75,000 worth of "damages".

If you are so disappointed with their product, you should have immediately returned it or refused delivery. Also, just because you feel the product is "shoddy" doesn't mean that they are liable for anything. I have, throughout the years, purchased many items that ended up being low quality. Unfortunately unless you have incurred any damage to properly because of bad engineering, I doubt they will be compelled to do anything.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Smoothline
I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time with them. I was disappointed by their service and felt like I paid too much for my top, although I do like the top a lot.

I recommend contacting the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and telling them what happened. They handle consumer affairs etc and will get you much further than trying to string a team together to buy a lawyer.

For everyone else: I'm going to be contacting shine auto and see if they would be willing to create a hardtop.... Probably won't hear much about this unless they actually want to do it!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 AM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone want's to sell their used Smoothlines top let me know. I don't care about color, I'ma Plastidip it. If I could get one prefinished from the factory for under 2k shipped I would do it but they are very expensive when all is done.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM
laurentj23

Pre finish for under 2k? Lol!!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:08 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks far better than the soft top which in my mind just doesn't suit the car at all. It makes the rear look far too long.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laurentj23
Pre finish for under 2k? Lol!!
No biggie. I put my top down almost 2 years ago, left it there, and just spent the money I saved on a New Mustang that I drive if it looks like it might rain or if it's below 40 degrees outside. Similar performance (it's just a V-6) so I'll be okay. Oh yeah, it also has a real trunk that can carry a bike among other things. My 04 350Z is about to turn 34,000 miles soon.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Ricer_Z

I was looking to do the same to my Z but couldn't find a hardtop where did you get that one?