Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Is there a trunk release button inside the roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Gigi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a trunk release button inside the roadster?

Sorry I know this is a dumb question. The book is not clear. I can't find a trunk release button inside of the car and I have to take my keys out of the ignition to open the trunk. Does anyone know if there is a trunk release inside of the Roadster?
Thank you
Old 12-08-2003, 04:09 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trunk

You can

1) Push the button on the key fob. (with the key in the car is fine)

2) Push the button on the back of the car under the trunk lid. (feel around underneath the back of the trunk, there is a small rubber covered button)

3) There is an emergency trunk release behind the passenger seat hidden somewhere in the glove box area. You need to pry a little cover off. It is documented in the manual.
The following users liked this post:
kakaboy (05-05-2022)
Old 12-08-2003, 04:21 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently bought a momentary switch from radio shack for.... about $5 was it? i also bought some wire from there. some people on this forum talked about wiring into the rear switch and running the wires up to the front. i am not good with wiring, but how hard can it be? will try to do it later on this week. still not sure where to mount the button. radio shack didnt have a huge selection so, the one i got is a red square button. dont really want that thing to be too obvious. gotta find a good place to hide it.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Gigi

Thanks for the suggestions.
I find it strange that they never put one on the inside of the car. How could they forget about that? I wonder if the dealer could install something. I'm so not going to attempt it myself. I don't want to screw anything up.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Well you need to go to the back of the car to access the trunk anyway. If the doors are unlocked you just hit the button underneath by the license plate so a trunk release isn't really necessary.

I think it's because we're all so used to using a truck release button before walking to the back of the car that using an under-mounted button is a different paradigm and nobody is used to it.

Logically it makes sense.
If you're walking towards the car, you've got the fob in hand and can unlock the trunk that way.
If you're inside the car then you've got to unlock the doors to get out and when you unlock the doors it enables the trunk button. You have to go to the back of the trunk to open it anyway so hitting a button underneath isn't really a big deal.

The only scenario I see as a PITA is when you drop someone off and they need to get something out of the trunk. You simply can't "pop" it for them and explaining the button underneath might not work..

I think it's safe to say an Engineer thought this out and not necessarily an end-user. Durn Propeller heads..

Last edited by Paul_BB_Guy; 12-08-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
weiweiwei

no, it's because with the top down anybody can just go pop the trunk then!!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

With the top down anyone can unlock the doors and open the trunk using the button underneath.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Gigi

If the top is down and the doors are locked and someone tried to reach in and unlock the door...wouldn't that sound an alarm?

With my keys in the ignition...the key fob does not work. I just tried again. I have to physically shut the car off then take them out of the ignition, push the button and then it will work. Now I know what I have to do. I was just thinking that perhaps I was over looking something. Not that big of a deal just a little inconvienent.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

With your keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked... When you reach underneath the trunk and hit the button by the license plate, doesn't it open the trunk?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:26 AM
Gigi

Yes, it does! I didn't even know that button existed.

Thanks, problem solved.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
BIGDAWG75

Red face

Be sure to mention that to your salesman. That's part of delivering the car properly!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Gigi

I showed my salesman my car. He didn't know anything about it. It just came in and it was the first one Roadster they ever saw in person. He was trying to tell me that I had to keep the car in neutral to open and close the roof. I said no you keep it in park. I just figured that I would learn it on my own. I'll never go back to them anyway I just traveled there to pick it up.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D'Oh

Originally posted by Gigi
I showed my salesman my car. He didn't know anything about it. It just came in and it was the first one Roadster they ever saw in person.
Go back again and tell him that the COUPES have the same button and have since day one.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, gigi your salesperson is an idiot. maybe he is new or something. i hate it when they try make excuses.

about having to put the car in park or neutral... actually all you need to do is have your foot on the brake. it doesnt matter what gear it is in. i found this out by accident. i was at the red light and i was trying to hurry to raise the top because it started to rain. in my haste, i had forgotten to shift the car into park. try it, it might just be a fluke with my car. i thought i read somewhere that it had to be in park.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Gigi

Your right ragtop i figured that out also by mistake.

I have never found the whole car buying experience to be a pleasant one. I know what I want, I know what I'm gonna spend and I want out of there as soon as possible. No matter how much money I've spent on a car. I just don't trust them. I was just so glad to just get this car and not pay over MSRP. I bought three cars from one dealer (two new Nissans and a two year old Corvette). I thought he would cut me a break on the 350Z Roadster. Not a chance...called me back and told me he had one in and just wanted to let me know...I said how much he said I'll work with you...only $5000 over MSRP. Oh everyone else wants $10,000 over. Yeah right. I told him where to go. I've always been in sales and actually thought of getting a job at a car dealer just to learn their dirty tricks.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

My Saleslady was mint! She actually took the book home and read it the night before I picked up my car. When I came in the next day she answered all of my questions. She also mentioned that I was the first Roadster she had ever sold! THAT'S committment!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Gigi - If you want to learn the "dirty secrets" and the not-so-glamourous life of a car salesman read this. It's long but it's worth it..

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Gigi

Paul BB Guy, Thank you very much for the advice. I saved "emunds" in my favorite places and plan on
forwarding it to others. Great info. I like to be informed.
I appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

My Pleasure.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
mwest300zx

Paul, just read the Edmunds article you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up. Fairly accurate depiction.I own a company that services 300+ new car dealers in the NJ/Pa area. From what I have seen, for many of these guys; selling cars is the last rung on the ladder. But, there still are a few professionally run dealerships and a few well intensioned profession sales people out there.

Quick Reply: Is there a trunk release button inside the roadster?