Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Anybody Know to Access the Trunk light to change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
hoanga515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Know to Access the Trunk light to change?

Title explains it all. I bought an LED to replace the stock trunk light but i simply can't get to the damn thing. Before you flame and respond saying how easy it is... go and try for yourself. Its easy on the coupe version but the roadster is a *****! I can take pics if needed. There is a plastic, half circle "shell" or cover that is in front of the bulb and its attached quite strangely. I have tried removing all of the plugs and pulling back/out the liner but that proved much harder than expected because it is glued in many spots and connected to the floor in such a way you can only pull the liner away by ripping it away from glued spots. Im trying to avoid this obviously. Hopefully someone who has already been able to change their light can help me or someone more competent than me can figure it out. Thanks guys!

Last edited by hoanga515; 10-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um. It's ez I done it like 25 times. Use flat head Shove it in the long end squeeze gently and push out.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
jduet

It just pops out in the coupe using a butter knife etc.

not sure about the roadster
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM
hoanga515

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Um. It's ez I done it like 25 times. Use flat head Shove it in the long end squeeze gently and push out.
I'm trying to understand your instructions... but i can't. Like that doesn't help me whatsoever. "shove it in the long end"? what long end. squeeze what gently? sorry but i can't picture what you're explaining
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
cubs4worldseris

Take a thin, flat edged object (I also use a butter knife) and gently wedge it in between the clear lens plastic and the black plastic body panels of the trunk. Toggle it back and forth carefully until it pops out (carefully pry out). Replace the light while trying to avoid touching the LED diodes. Verify the light works. Pop the clear plastic light lens back into the hole it came out of.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MUZZY
This is a roadster forum....the roadster is different from your coupe!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
dahitter38

Default roadster trunk lamp

So did anyone ever figure out how to replace the roadster
trunk lamp. I know it's not the same aspace coupe. Please help. Mine has a circle lens
Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dahitter38
So did anyone ever figure out how to replace the roadster
trunk lamp. I know it's not the same aspace coupe. Please help. Mine has a circle lens
I actualy just did this.. Need to do some yoga first, then get a little flat head screw driver and turn and twist to look up at the light and use the flat head to pop loose on the side, good luck be patient and Dont pull your back.

Was gonna photo this but after finally figuring out how to do it without touching my paint, I said to hell with it.

Last edited by 350zchad; 04-26-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Zhu Tou

^^^

So, lemme clarify...

After yoga, I use a flathead screwdriver to "push" the bulb aside, then shove the screwdriver further up to pop the bulb out of its socket?

Sorry, but I can't understand what you mean, and it sounds like this would not be a good idea.

I'm having the same difficulty with the Roadster trunk light and have Googled it to death.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

No need to do yoga

There is a small clip on one side that you can push in and the plastic cover will pop off. It's on a hinge so the whole cover won't come off.

If you can't get to the clip with a flat head or butter knife, simply remove the 4 plastic rivets holding the top of the carpet liner on. After removing them, you can pull down the liner and have easy access to the cover.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Zhu Tou

^

Sorry guys; either I'm misunderstanding, or we're still getting responses that are applicable to only the coupe. What we're trying to get done is change the trunk light on a Roadster, which does not have a rectangular plastic cover over the bulb.

Instead, the Roadster has a round bulb that is not covered by any cover, and popping that bulb out has so far been near-impossible.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Zhu Tou
^

Sorry guys; either I'm misunderstanding, or we're still getting responses that are applicable to only the coupe. What we're trying to get done is change the trunk light on a Roadster, which does not have a rectangular plastic cover over the bulb.

Instead, the Roadster has a round bulb that is not covered by any cover, and popping that bulb out has so far been near-impossible.
Yeah, buddy. My post was for the Roadster. I did this on my '05 this last weekend when I had the truck open for an extended period of time and I didn't want to drain the battery.

If you don't have a round, globe-shaped plastic cover over the light, then it is gone and someone either removed it or broke it off. If the bare bulb is the only thing you see when you look at it from below through the opening in the liner and you can't pull the bulb out, I would recommend removing part of the liner (via the plastic pop rivets, previously mentioned) so you can get your hand in there and pull that sucker out.

Pull down so you don't shatter the bulb.

Let me know if you still need some help and I can try and post some pics when I get home after work.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Zhu Tou

Fantastic, thanks!

I monkeyed with the rivets on my first attempt, but the liner is glued to the body in some areas, so I'll attempt popping the round plastic again this evening, then make an appointment for the chiropractor.

Last edited by Zhu Tou; 04-30-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Zhu Tou
Fantastic, thanks!

I'm going to tackle this again this evening, and make an appointment for the chiropractor.
Good deal. I'll probably post some pics up anyways so others will find this thread useful and also to avoid this reply, lol:

Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Heel Til I Die

Snapped some pics to help out.

A pic of the plastic bulb cover. That evil culprit You can see the little notch/clip.

Here's what the liner will look like once you remove the 4 plastic pop rivets. It separates from the rubber surround and you can access the bulb cover easily. I know, my trunk needs a vacuum.

Here's a pic of the plastic cover opened. The bulb is already removed. You can see the little clip that needs to be undone to access the bulb. This may help if you want to dig in there without taking the liner down.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:49 AM
RichV

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bringing up an old thread, because this one helped me a lot.

I just replaced my trunk light bulb with an LED bulb last night and my carpet was also glued, so taking the clips out didn't help me. But after seeing these pics I was able to use a small screw driver and unclip the round cover easily. At first the cover did not want to flip down because the carpet was holding it up, but I just needed to pull on it harder and it opened up. I popped out the bulb and replaced with an LED bulb that is tons brighter.

Worked perfect.

I am changing all my bulbs to LED and got all of them changed out on the rear of my car, accept the turn signals, yesterday. They look great. Changing my headlights out to the black 06+ Depo headlights tomorrow.

I love this forum. Thanks for everything!