Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible Top Issue (watch video)

Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Mobi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible Top Issue (watch video)

ISSUE RESOLVED!!!! LIMIT SWITCH!

My problem is now fixed!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!

Watch my youtube video please!

Ive gonna through 20 pages on the forums and no one seems to have this problem!

Ive come to a conclusion that the Auto closure wire in the Tonneua cover will not stay in the motor. Anyone have a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated! THANKS!

The top is very stubborn when trying to unlatch and open. I have to repeatedly press the open switch 10-20 times. This is NOT a 5th bow motor problem. Eventually the 5th bow raises to let the tonneua cover free. As the 5th bow is coming down it goes further then it should and gets stuck (watch videos of properly working tops). The only way to move the 5th bow again is to unplug a gray switch and then replug it after the 5th bow rises. Once replugged the tonneua cover closes and then the 5th bow closes. A few unsuccessful things I've tried. 5th bow motor rebuild via 350z Forums. Cleaned only did not need rebuild. All motors seem to be working fine. Ive tried the service bulletin "5th bow will not close" where the lock mechanism in the tonneau cover is lubricated and the auto closure wire is twisted back into the motor (or "jumped using 12V" if it doesn't twist). Swapped open/close switchs with another Z. I did change the oem vinyl top to a cloth top but I can't see the that being the problem since the top worked perfectly fine for 2 months. Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Last edited by Mobi; 06-26-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Issue resolved
The following users liked this post:
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
mestisoZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some things where you just have to suck it up and take to the dealer.. It looks like your 5th bow is struggling and might be going bad.. (This is the windows motor) and the others already look shot. (Rest of the top) although I could be wrong.. good luck whatever you find. I am just sucking it up and taking mine to the dealer =\
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Mobi

It not the 5th bow motor (the one in the soft top itself). I just cleaned a 5th bow motor on my buddy's Z yesterday..didn't need a rebuild. Its running like new now. So I know what a sluggish 5th bow motor is and this is not it. You can clearly see the 5th bow going up and down without a problem once its free from the tonneua cover. Thanks for the reply and I'll hold off on the dealer for now. I know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum that can help.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM
mestisoZ

Originally Posted by Mobi
It not the 5th bow motor (the one in the soft top itself). I just cleaned a 5th bow motor on my buddy's Z yesterday..didn't need a rebuild. Its running like new now. So I know what a sluggish 5th bow motor is and this is not it. You can clearly see the 5th bow going up and down without a problem once its free from the tonneua cover. Thanks for the reply and I'll hold off on the dealer for now. I know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum that can help.
Any luck man?... When you say you cleaned your buddy's 5th bow did you just clean the black goop off with electrical cleaner? I am waiting for my brushes to come in to do a repair.. But if you say a quick clean worked for your buddy I might give it a try.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I am not mistaken there are limit switches which determine when each stage of the top operates, it looks as if one or more may be bad or need adjustment. Just the fact that you can get it to work by unplugging a connector leads me in that direction.
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Mobi

Originally Posted by mestisoZ
Any luck man?... When you say you cleaned your buddy's 5th bow did you just clean the black goop off with electrical cleaner? I am waiting for my brushes to come in to do a repair.. But if you say a quick clean worked for your buddy I might give it a try.
Nothing yet...I haven't messed with it in a while..im probably just gonna end up taking it to the dealership sometime this week. summers almost over ya know!...thank goodness for my 1987 bmw e30 and its manual top! lol...as for my buddies 5th bow motor..yup just give all the black carbon dust that comes from the brushes a quick clean with electrical cleaner..if your brushes are not completely worn you should be just fine.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Mobi

Originally Posted by myork
If I am not mistaken there are limit switches which determine when each stage of the top operates, it looks as if one or more may be bad or need adjustment. Just the fact that you can get it to work by unplugging a connector leads me in that direction.
Thanks for the reply! I too think its one or more limit switches...looks like a problem between operation 6 and 7 (and/or) operation 7 and 8. But when i noticed that the auto closure wire just wont stay inside the motor that's inside the storage led..that just threw me off. I think I just have one huge mess.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Mobi

My problem is now fixed!!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
mestisoZ

My problem is now fixed!!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!
Hey bro i think im having the same problem.. can you post some pics with the location of the limit switches?
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 AM
bvitou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you talking about the control box behind the seats under the lid? I can't find any switches that are blue. I replaced the brushes on the 5th bow motor and it worked great for two days and now I have the same problem your had in your video. The elastic straps seem to be in good shape.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

the OP hasnt logged onto the site for over 4 years... prob wont get an answer from him

bvitou (08-05-2016)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Debra Blake

Default Help

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my soft top on my 350z after l had a new soft top replaced after a small tear now will not go down all the way and latch it sit about a inch of the latch. If we pull the glass toward the front of the car as the roof isgoing down it will then close and latch. Have taken to a few places but nobody can tell me why it wont latch ??? Need some help or ideas.
thanks Deb
Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 AM
bvitou

Default Your 5th bow motor is going bad.

Originally Posted by Debra Blake
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my soft top on my 350z after l had a new soft top replaced after a small tear now will not go down all the way and latch it sit about a inch of the latch. If we pull the glass toward the front of the car as the roof isgoing down it will then close and latch. Have taken to a few places but nobody can tell me why it wont latch ??? Need some help or ideas.
thanks Deb
Hi Deb. You can pay to have someone rebuild your 5th bow motor for about $50 plus shipping or over $1000 to have it fix at a dealer. Very low estimate. My dealer wanted $1200 to fix it. I fixed it myself for $3.50, (thats right.a little over 3 bucks). Need to changed the bushes in the 5th bow motor. Read the 5th bow motor thread to get details on steps.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Dennis Corey

Originally Posted by myork
HI I AM HAVING ISSUES
Can I ask where is this limit switch I hear so mostly about on the vehicle.
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:25 AM
gardelli

Debra Blake, Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem with my top. When I close it, it stops about 2" above the windshield. If I force it to closed the latch lets go as soon as I hit a bump.

Last edited by gardelli; 09-23-2019 at 06:28 AM. Reason: forgot to direct my question at a particular user
RedCherry96 (11-21-2021)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by gardelli
Debra Blake, Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem with my top. When I close it, it stops about 2" above the windshield. If I force it to closed the latch lets go as soon as I hit a bump.
dont hold your breath for an answer

Old 10-17-2021, 04:55 PM
sarah lopez

Default I have a 2008 350 z Nissan And the top won’t close I tried the release cables in

Somebody opened my top and now I can’t get it to close I tried pulling the release cables in the trunk I tried the button inside the car it makes no sound now nothing is working please help I can’t find the fuse box or the fuse for the top if somebody could please tell me where I could find the fuses so I could start checking it I’d appreciate it thank you
Old 11-21-2021, 07:04 AM
RedCherry96

Default Same issue top won’t close completely 1” gap on rear window with top cover

Originally Posted by mestisoZ
Hey bro i think im having the same problem.. can you post some pics with the location of the limit switches?
Does anyone know this “Limit Switch”?? My 5th motor is working perfectly and so is every motor. My spring inside top cover twists and is not stuck.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:34 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCherry96
Does anyone know this “Limit Switch”?? My 5th motor is working perfectly and so is every motor. My spring inside top cover twists and is not stuck.
Your limit switches are located below the driver side 8" struts. Look above the door striker, you'll see where everything is anchored. It's on the back of that, has a small silver blade.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:10 AM
jordan123030

Originally Posted by sarah lopez
Somebody opened my top and now I can’t get it to close I tried pulling the release cables in the trunk I tried the button inside the car it makes no sound now nothing is working please help I can’t find the fuse box or the fuse for the top if somebody could please tell me where I could find the fuses so I could start checking it I’d appreciate it thank you
is it the hatch where the top goes, if so, you’ll need to pull the cable behind the glovebox on the passenger side, then the one in the truck which should release the hatch, afterwards get a 5mm Allen wrench bit and put it on a socket and manually turn the motors, if I’m not mistaken the passenger side motor needs to be turned to the right and the driver side needs to be turned to the left