Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

gah! another top wont close thread, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
playaslk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gah! another top wont close thread, please help

Hey guys, bought a new-to-me 04 350z rag top. I have had it for 2 months and am having issues w the top. When I purchased it, obviously top worked but as it usually does, a month into it, it started being sluggish. At this point I got the top to mostly go through the close process, the back lid closes and at that moment the rest of the process stopped. I can not close it or reopen it from this point. Below are the pic. The last step doesn't fo and it seems stuck. I can hear the clicking of what I think are relay switches bit nothing else happens. Please help w diagnosis as i dont really want to.drop 1-2k foe dealer to tell me I have to replace the whole roof. thanks!

Last edited by playaslk; 07-26-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
playaslk

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...IMAG0173-1.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...y/IMAG0174.jpg
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 PM
playaslk

bump, any ideas?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM
F34RL355
Banned

5th bow motor, its not a cheap fix from what i hear
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM
F34RL355
Banned

or here is a diy on how to fix it hope it helps

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-photos.html

Last edited by F34RL355; 07-27-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM
playaslk

Originally Posted by F34RL355
or here is a diy on how to fix it hope it helps

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-photos.html
yes sir, that did it . I have never taken a motor apart before but now that i looked at it, it makes sense that it would go "bad" since you are using the brushes up. Thank you , now if i can figure out why my drivers window opens a bit every time i open the door...

it opens lets say 2 inches every single time the door is opened until its completely opened all the way down. What that means is i cannot go through car washes since people dont pay attention to something like that.
Any clue what it could be? (it doesnt fall down, it actually opens as if its meant to do that lol)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 AM
F34RL355
Banned

Originally Posted by playaslk
yes sir, that did it . I have never taken a motor apart before but now that i looked at it, it makes sense that it would go "bad" since you are using the brushes up. Thank you , now if i can figure out why my drivers window opens a bit every time i open the door...

it opens lets say 2 inches every single time the door is opened until its completely opened all the way down. What that means is i cannot go through car washes since people dont pay attention to something like that.
Any clue what it could be? (it doesnt fall down, it actually opens as if its meant to do that lol)
glad it worked for ya, nope not sure, my window goes up like 2mm when i close the door, think it maye go down a few mm when i open it but should go back up when u close it. sorry no ideas
Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both windows should lower a bit when you open the door and then go up again once the door is closed. I believe it is designed to do this to ensure a proper seal with the rubber molding on the top...or maybe to protect the window when you close the door<---that is just an educated guess. If your window is not returning to the closed position once the door is closed, it is not working properly. Not sure what is causing your problem, but the windows are supposed to lower when the door is open. The windows should also lower all the way down when you lower the top.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the window opens a little when you open the door and visa versa when you close it. This is to create a tight fit with the window seal, better water proof. Also if the window didn't do that then the glass would have streak marks etched onto the top portion of the glass well. It only goes down a couple of millimeters though. Couple of inches is a lot.

Last edited by juanl1999; 08-01-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it is to create a better seal, I think the window goes down to protect it from shattering when you close the door since there is no door frame around the window. The coupes do the same thing so it isn't just a roadster seal thing.

As to why your window goes down 2 inches and doesn't go back up, I would think the regulator is probably going bad and the window is slipping.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 AM
jhmolter

I'm not sure on 350z but on a new Mustang,Get in car and shut the door let the window down and hold your switch 30 seconds then push button to closed and hold Switch 30 seconds then run window up and down 5 times and this should fix it.Wish you Luck
Old 02-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts