350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Need help with top installation- Fifth bow support wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need help with top installation- Fifth bow support wires

Any help here would be appreciated.

I just about finished installing my Robbins top last night, but it was bulging at both sides of the rear glass. I found that the stiff guide wires that stick up from the fifth bow and go into the pockets on either side of the glass had escaped their pockets and were sticking in toward the glass. I just re-removed the weatherstrip, drilled the rivets and release the fifth bow motor cover so I could rework them.

My question is about the guide wires and the pockets they go into:

Are the guide wires supposed to just sit in the pockets, or should I push them all the way through so the hook on the end comes out and hooks over the end of the pocket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping to knock this out today, but I don't want to rivet it back together and end up having to take it apart yet again.

TIA

Edit:

This wire:

Need help with top installation- Fifth bow support wires-2nrwltd.png

Last edited by patrickoneal; 11-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, I think I got them in correctly. I ended up just putting them inside the pocket, not all the way through to let the hook grab. It didn't seem right to let the hook snag the outside edge of the pocket.

Another question:

Is it normal to have a slight bump beside the rear glass when the top is closed? There are still two bumps on either side of my rear glass, from the wire supports pressing on the top. If someone doesn't mind taking a quick look at their top to confirm this is normal, and to reassure me that I've got the support wires in correctly, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Shell0623

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! That is the exact same problem that I am having. Did you remove the rivets to slide it back into the pocket? I'm hoping that once I can get them back in there, I can close the top.