Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Bluetooth Calls in the Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM
604.coast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Calls in the Roadster

So last night I managed to order up a new headunit for my ZR to replace the Bose unit that seems to like to skip when its cold out. I picked up a Kenwood DNX570HD which as far as I can tell does everything like Nav, Bluetooth calls, rearview cam, variable LED illumination DVD, CD, MP3, USB, A2DT, ATM, PIITB, brushes your teeth, shines your shoes, etc. I am pretty excited for it to arrive and to get to work installing it.

I know this topic is treading the line of probably belonging in the Audio section, but my question is 100% roadster related. Can anyone chime in on how taking calls via Bluetooth with the top down is? Obviously I'd roll up the sidewindows (the Convertible Rule notwithstanding ) but I'm trying to figure where best placement would be for the Bluetooth mic. A-Pillar seems obvious but I'm not sure if it would catch too much windnoise. Other ideas I've seen are in the maplight area, drilled into the waterfall beside the headunit itself, on the steering wheel etc. I'd like to get a consensus on which location works best for call clarity based on real world experience in the ZR.

Cheers

Last edited by 604.coast; 02-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:46 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

i use bluetooth in my ear windows up no problems.. unless the bluetooth you bought has noise cancelling mic it will sound terrible to the other party
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 AM
GOGOZ

I mounted my mic to my vent next to the cubby in the waterfall. With the top down, even on the highway, it comes in pretty clear on both ends
Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
bsydude1

Help...is there any pros or cons to wheel size if i go 19" or 20"
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by bsydude1
DAH FAWK??????

Wrong section, bud.......
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Did your mother drink while she was pregnant with you?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 PM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by Syner
Did your mother drink while she was pregnant with you?
..... OR LIVE UNDER POWER LINES?????
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Bama J

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So guys, which exhaust sounds best with the top down? (Just kidding)

Seriously though...If my Metra kit comes in, I'll be installing a Kenwood DDX470 this weekend, so I am wondering the same thing about the mic. All input is appreciated. I was intially thinking A-pillar as well, but the vent idea may be the ticket.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by Bama J

Seriously though...If my Metra kit comes in, I'll be installing a Kenwood DDX470 this weekend, so I am wondering the same thing about the mic. All input is appreciated. I was intially thinking A-pillar as well, but the vent idea may be the ticket.
It's hardly noticeable there, but it also keeps the noise down with it being right at chin level
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Bama J

So did you mount it inside the vent? If so, no issues with noise when the A/C is on and flowing through the vent? Thanks...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
GOGOZ

So did you mount it inside the vent? If so, no issues with noise when the A/C is on and flowing through the vent? Thanks...
Yes, I just tucked it behind the flapper (???) so I can still close the vent if need be. No problems so far..... I'm sorry, but it is tucked away for the winter or I'd post up a couple of pics. It's a very small mic, so it doesn't disrupt air flow at all nor does it create any noise for those on the other end when running the heat/air.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Bama J

Ok, awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
bsydude1

Default wheels

Originally Posted by GOGOZ
..... OR LIVE UNDER POWER LINES?????
LOL....no man, just a new member trying to learn the system. sorry for the mix up
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 AM
GOGOZ

LOL....no man, just a new member trying to learn the system. sorry for the mix up
No worries...... check out the wheels and tires section or just use the search function. There is an abundance of very useful info for your inquiries!

Welcome to the forum, and get some pics up in the New Members section!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM
604.coast

GOGOZ, do you get interference when the vents are on though? When I have the top down I usually have the heat cranked which I would imagine would create a ton of windnoise. Anyone know if the Kenwood Bluetooth mics are noise cancelling? I kinda think they might be.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
604.coast

Bama, nice unit you picked up. If I was in the States with your guys' unlimited data plans I would've definitely gone that route. Unfortunately Canada's mobile phone companies absolutely rape us even for 1GB/month plans. So I had to shell out the extra $$ to get the built in Nav.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
aspects

Hello there, I recently relocated the mic to just above the wheel and that seemed to cut down on the noise quite a bit, there is still some interference here and there, but mostly the people I'm talking to don't say it's unbearable, I don't think it's an eyesore but the mic I have is pretty small. hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 AM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by 604.coast
GOGOZ, do you get interference when the vents are on though? When I have the top down I usually have the heat cranked which I would imagine would create a ton of windnoise. Anyone know if the Kenwood Bluetooth mics are noise cancelling? I kinda think they might be.
Sorry for the late reply, but I do NOT get any interference from the vent at all- I'm pretty sure the mic has the noise cancellation function built in (Pioneer Double-Din) like most do.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Bama J

Originally Posted by 604.coast
Bama, nice unit you picked up. If I was in the States with your guys' unlimited data plans I would've definitely gone that route. Unfortunately Canada's mobile phone companies absolutely rape us even for 1GB/month plans. So I had to shell out the extra $$ to get the built in Nav.
Actually my Z has factory Nav, or I would have went with the same model as you did. The features of these units are amazing nowadays. Like you said, they pretty much do everything except brush your teeth, lol.

Now, if my Metra kit would ever get here I could install it. It's on it's way but it looks like it got slowed down by all of the snowstorms.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM
zamfield

I think if you just keep the mic away from the top edge, you'll be ok with it.
I would try to keep it away from the trans / floor area too... I like the Speedo pic above.
Looks like a good area that would catch the voice.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Calls in the Roadster