Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Water leak after top replacement; real weahter seal not touching

Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak after top replacement; real weahter seal not touching

I recently replaced my top and there appears to be a problem on the back side, where the bottom of the top curves around and seals with the car (long u shaped weather seal under the back window). That u shaped rubber seal that makes contact with the car is not pushing down enough on the car to make a seal. If I close the top all the way but do not latch it in at the front, the seal looks to be fine. But as soon as I latch it in, it lifts that back part up just enough to create a gap between the weather seal and the car.

Is this just a matter of the top fully stretching out over time since it is new? Should I maybe buy some weather seal and attach it to what is there currently to give it some added extension?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
I recently replaced my top and there appears to be a problem on the back side, where the bottom of the top curves around and seals with the car (long u shaped weather seal under the back window). That u shaped rubber seal that makes contact with the car is not pushing down enough on the car to make a seal. If I close the top all the way but do not latch it in at the front, the seal looks to be fine. But as soon as I latch it in, it lifts that back part up just enough to create a gap between the weather seal and the car.

Is this just a matter of the top fully stretching out over time since it is new? Should I maybe buy some weather seal and attach it to what is there currently to give it some added extension?
I have the same problem. I replaced my top back in November, and had close to a quarter inch gap just as you described. I removed and reinstalled the top several times trying to adjust things, and took a hard look at how the tabs attach to the fifth bow cover. I had no luck. I pmed another member that mentioned the same problem, and he said his stretched out in a few days, but he did his top in Florida in the summer.

It's finally warmed up here in Virginia, and the gap is almost gone. I'll get a drop or two of water back there when I wash it, but that's it. I don't know what the convertible top shops do to stretch it, maybe steam or some hot work lights like painters use. They certainly wouldn't send it out like that and tell you to wait for a 100 degree day. It's getting up to 80f here today, so I'll see what mine does today. It seems like the gap almost closes up the longer I leave the top closed, but that's hard to do when the weather is nice. I'm not sure if it's better to leave it closed until it stretches, or if opening and closing it helps to stretch it out.

What brand is your top? Mine is a cloth Robbins top.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Patrick, as you have found many of the aftermarket tops are cut snug and must spend as much as two weeks in the hot sun to fully stretch and form to the car. On some of the Robbin’s budget tops they forgo the narrow panel that is stitched in along the sides just above the windows. They make the top-panel stretch around the side in a nice seamless way, but this does cause shrinking problems. (My friend had one of these tops installed on her Miata and it never stretched out)

As you will have noted the cloth top was somewhat thicker than the OEM and will have a little more trouble stuffing itself into the hatch when the top is opened as well as stretching out all the wrinkles when closed.

Definitely leave the top up (don’t open and close) in the hot sun until it fully stretches out. You can help it along a bit by using a hair dryer along the sides and rear. Be careful though, dryers nowadays are up to 2000 watts (for the girls with big hair). Keep it well back from the top material and use the diffuser if the dryer has one.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM
NewOrleans350z

I wonder if I buy some extra just generic weather stripping if I can attach it to what's there and just do that to be extra cautious?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

NewOrlands Z, what make/model top do you have, is it cloth or vinyl? Some tops can be adjusted a bit at the front header (first bow).
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM
NewOrleans350z

This is the top I have:

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/2004-2...20-350-016.htm

I think I will just buy some generic weather stripping and attach it to what is currently there to close the gap.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
This is the top I have:

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/2004-2...20-350-016.htm

I think I will just buy some generic weather stripping and attach it to what is currently there to close the gap.
I would worry that adding weatherstripping would prevent the top from ever stretching out as it should. If you plan to leave it there permanently, I guess you could do that.

As for the adjustment at the first bow, that wouldn't have helped me. I'm pretty sure I tried removing the fabric from the first bow and folding it back, and the rear still didn't quite make it. I did find that pushing up on the header/first bow when the fifth bow comes down made it easier for the motor to pull it down.

I think it will stretch in time, mine has gotten much closer since the last time I posted. I can barely see daylight through the gap now, it's a hair away. It also would "pop" pretty loud when opening until it started to stretch and relax, it doesn't do that any more.