Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

manual roof operations, it ain't pretty.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
secarider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual roof operations, it ain't pretty.

hot wired tethered switchbox to work all motors and lock release mechanisms so top can be coaxed in and out ( open and closed ) ( or up and down ). Whatever you call it what I did to this beautiful car is a crime I'm sure , it is so redneck it screams Presidential solution. So here goes. I just can't believe someone else hasn't done it already, they may have and knew better than to share as i expect the "good natured" ribbing to begin as soon as i hit submit and no this is not intended as a how to , it is more of a look what i did. The fifth bow motor was weak so i did the rebrush procedure found elswhere on this site and although it did fix that motors performance issues , i still got nowhere with the factory button or procedure and although i drained the swamp twice there was too many alligators in there for my broke , impatiant , inpertinent *** , i had no more time but I do have other skills to fall back on so the box was born and the soft top controller got unplugged . I put up a short proof of concept vid here.
Roof open:

http://youtu.be/gse26CyyBmU
Same roof going other way: http://youtu.be/rmdIA5Wz-o0

Project box from radio shack.
4, center off , momentary , dpdt switch's. 1 momentary "n/o" pushbutton. 1 12v DC light as power indicator. 1 spst switch as power disconnect (u cant see it in the vid) so the switch box is dead when stowed. About thirty of those wire nuts (Marriott's I think they call em ) the ones I like have a little silicon up in em so they are naturally hydrophobic.

Last edited by secarider; 10-08-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Bravo, well done, with Yankee ingenuity like that, you don’t need no stinking trouble shooting procedures.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 PM
The MuscleDoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG! Come to Texas and help me do mine!!! I'm about to initiate a 5th bow brush change out and cleaning.