Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Treating my roadster top with 303 Protectant today

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 AM
chief3630

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Treating my roadster top with 303 Protectant today

I did some research on protectants for the convertible top (vinyl apparently) and came across 303 Fabric Guard/Aerospace and Raggtopp Protectant as the two top players.

I went with 303 because users reported easier application with a paint brush, which is harder with the Raggtopp because of the way the can comes as an aerosol spray. Apparently this stuff can be bad news if overspray gets on other parts.

So far I've applied two coats in direct sun as the instructions say. Left about 30 minutes inbetween coats. Application with a paintbrush and solo cup was simple and well controlled. I did small sections and worked it into the top with brush strokes both ways. It soaked in nicely and left a great sheen. I'm debating on a third coat. It is supposed to cure in the sun for 6-12 hours. Then I'll give it a water beading test.

I bought a 32 Oz bottle and I'm guessing I used 2-4 Oz for both coats combined. That bottle should last quite awhile! Amazon had the best price I could find. Note I used Fabric Guard which is incorrect for Z's, it should have been the Aerospace Protectant which is Vinyl safe! Live and learn. I'll be correcting that. Thanks myork!

I also bought 303 Aerospace Protectant for the interior for UV protection when the top is down. I haven't got to applying it yet.

After coat #1

After coat #2

Ultimately I'm hoping this gets me extended life out of the top. I'll update this thread with results.

Last edited by chief3630; 10-08-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Hopefully it works out, I just put a new top on my Jeep and have been looking at products to clean it/extend it's life, it sees a lot of sand/mud and is a PITA to clean.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:06 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI - OEM top is vinyl, hopefully you are aware of this and your top is an aftermarket canvas type.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 PM
chief3630

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
FYI - OEM top is vinyl, hopefully you are aware of this and your top is an aftermarket canvas type.
I consider myself an intense researcher and I still muck it up......

Thanks for letting me know nicely, myork. I went back and read the arguments on vinyl vs canvas tops on Z's. I will agree that vinyl wins, but boy it had me fooled that it was canvas. I didn't even consider checking if it was vinyl.

I'll be redoing it with the 303 Aerospace Protectant then! The Fabric Guard will get used in plenty of other projects. I changed my original thread as well to corrected information.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Suffolk350z

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using 303 vinyl for 2 years on top. I just spray it on carefully and spread work into top with a sponge, and quickly wipe off any over spray. It does look better but does where off with after washing car a few times and you can see what it does to windows after car wash, but overall a great product. I find one good coat is enough to much and it just comes off with hose or rain. Just saying this is my experience. Also works great on interior and all the plastic in the car.