Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

noisy top latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM
mhembree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default noisy top latch

I bought a 2004 ZR last year and the top operates just fine, although the latch is a little noisy when it releases when opening the top. I thought that was normal until I opened the top on a 2007 and it was significantly quieter when the latch disengaged. Was that something that was improved upon in later models, or should mine be quieter? Is there something that needs greased in the latch mechanism on the roof, or the car?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

My 06 is pretty clunky sounding too. The silver handle turns a cam that engages to locking rods on the ends. Pretty sure you can remove the 1st bow cover to adjust and lube. Mine is wind and water tight after my diy top a while back so I let it alone.
Good luck!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure what constitutes "noisy" in comparison but, my 08' top is tight, solid and functions as designed with no offensive or unexpected noises. I do keep all [literally all] contact points front-to-back clean and well-lubed and I do it fairly often (basic maintenance in my view). As mentioned, maybe an adjustment issue. I expect it to "clunk with authority" to a degree when unlatching or latching.