Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Wheel-set ordered for my Roadster

Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wheel-set ordered for my Roadster

Ship today and they'll arrive this Friday, maybe Saturday. Told myself I was NOT going to throw money at this ~9 year-old ride when I bought it but...already have a minor mod plan laid-out for 17' and this is step 1.

After a couple months and countless hours of research, hammering on wheel/tire sizing calculators, measuring, pic reviews etc. I landed on BBS RIA's.

Wheel/Tire setup;
  • (F) RIA 003 18 x 9.5 +22 (19.3 lbs), Michelin Super Sport 255/40
  • (R) RIA 006 18 x 10.5 +18 (20.2 lbs), Michelin Super Sport 275/40

Installing on a Nogaro red Roadster and I'm expecting the matte graphite to blend well with the color/trim. Will be putting some upgraded rotors behind them later in the year as well.

My SS's are already sitting at a local shop, along with some new TPMS. Not sure when I'll have everything installed, may hold until closer to the warm season.

Have some small stuff to do in the near-term; clear side-markers, matte black hood struts, new shift ****, etc. but I'm going to be focusing on a BILSTEIN B12 (Pro-Kit) install in late Q1 as well.

RIA:

The following users liked this post:
pyshin (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Congrats....

i am so happy that you figured everything out and got a dang near perfect size/offset combo. All too often people ask what size and offsets do i need.

post up pics when on sir
Old 12-27-2016, 09:55 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Post pics when you get them, I want to see
Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Nice!! First set of REAL BBS, NEW wheels I've seen going on a Z in a long time! Nice choice. In for pics.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
No_name

Will get some pics up as soon as practical. BBS called me back indicating could be "up to" Jan 3rd due to UPS ground holiday scheduling but...they are shipping out of their GA based center today. Along with the included upgrade kit and lugs.

Looked hard at various Rays, Advan, SSR, all the other usual suspects, including some semi-custom (e.g. Forgeline) and just couldn't find a style and offset I liked better than these (ran BBS on a Bimmer years back, been a fan ever since). Wanted forged, wanted a moderate to aggressive offset, wanted wide within reason, wanted great rubber and wanted to retain the default "engineered-in" characteristics and driving dynamic of the Z so...dropped a little coin and went with this setup.

I still need to do more research on alignment specs both front and rear. I'll let the pros do their thing but...I'd like to take some of the negative camber out of the rear when I install these wheels/tires, to the extent I can/should anyway, when I have the alignment done. I'l be revisiting this when I look to do the ProKit of course but...any advice for me at this point? Bone stock suspension and will be for 3-4 months, I'll take any good advice I can get on the subject.

Thanks fellas.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 PM
No_name

PS - It was 22 degrees F when I got my azz outta bed this morning. It was 62 around 1PM MT (60 right now). Pulled the cover off the ride, dropped the top and went for nice hour and half cruise along the CO front-range (twisties, no LE). Put down some miles while momma nature allowed.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by No_name
Will get some pics up as soon as practical. BBS called me back indicating could be "up to" Jan 3rd due to UPS ground holiday scheduling but...they are shipping out of their GA based center today. Along with the included upgrade kit and lugs.

Looked hard at various Rays, Advan, SSR, all the other usual suspects, including some semi-custom (e.g. Forgeline) and just couldn't find a style and offset I liked better than these (ran BBS on a Bimmer years back, been a fan ever since). Wanted forged, wanted a moderate to aggressive offset, wanted wide within reason, wanted great rubber and wanted to retain the default "engineered-in" characteristics and driving dynamic of the Z so...dropped a little coin and went with this setup.

I still need to do more research on alignment specs both front and rear. I'll let the pros do their thing but...I'd like to take some of the negative camber out of the rear when I install these wheels/tires, to the extent I can/should anyway, when I have the alignment done. I'l be revisiting this when I look to do the ProKit of course but...any advice for me at this point? Bone stock suspension and will be for 3-4 months, I'll take any good advice I can get on the subject.

Thanks fellas.
Might as well get yourself the proper alignment gear (and install it or have it all installed) when you get the Bilstein setup on. Once the car is back on the ground you can get it aligned properly and save your new Mushylins from the get-go.

With the ProKit, I wouldn't expect your alignment to go too far out of whack with the mild drop this setup gives (maybe -15mm or so). But either way, you will be able to get it aligned immediately.

Would suggest setting to stock THEN tune to your particular needs.

I initially set alignment to the exact middle of the camber range and stock toe and caster. Liked it a lot. Last alignment couple months ago with new wheels/tires, I had them set it at the farthest negative camber but still within range spec... off top of head, around -1.3 FRONT, -2.0 REAR and stock caster and toe angles (whomever's aligning will have this loaded on their alignment rack/system.) I like this setting a lot. Very forgiving at limit, tire temp very close to uniform (street/hills, not tested at track).

For a street setup with conventional shocks/springs, you will need front UCAs and for rear, toe adjustment arms/offset mounting bolts.

Do your research and take your choice of brands. I'm happy with SPC at the mid-price point; others will suggest Kinetix, Cusco (and others at the low-mid price point) and SPL at the upper end. Get what you pay for? Can't say for certain, sorry. Honestly, I didn't do a lot of research other than to see what others were running and of course alignment yields (to make sure I could get things set as I wanted); but for brand, relied instead on my chassis tuner's suggestions.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:53 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

If you wanna pick up some B14's lemme know.

I picked up a set and think I wanna run an adj damp coil rather than fixed damp. PM me if you're interested. Still in the box never installed.

Plan on installing them as soon as I get my turbo kit which is on order right now. So LMK soon if you're interested.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:33 PM
No_name

Thank you Mic, sincerely appreciate the input.

CK, "thank you" for the offer brother but doubt I'll go that route. Like my 4Runner suspension and other rides prior, I'm a "set it and forget simple-minded [old] fool."
Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 PM
No_name

Arrived today... diggin' the noticeable quality & graphite black. Will need some decent lighting to get acceptable 'outta the box" pics.

Now, need to figure out timing to get mounted, balanced and a test fit to determine if I'll need that roll or not.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:52 PM
No_name

Wheel & tire fitment is great, alignment next Saturday. Will get better pics later in the year (drop, clear side-markers, blackened door-handles and antennae mod pending)

Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Looks very nice. I don't recall ever seeing a Nogaro Red ZR.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM
kaustein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 08, just like this red one. New wheels too. Once I figure out how to post pics, I will
Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 PM
kaustein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No_name
Wheel & tire fitment is great, alignment next Saturday. Will get better pics later in the year (drop, clear side-markers, blackened door-handles and antennae mod pending)

Nice!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Looks very nice. Good choice on those wheels.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:46 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Awesome! Those should look sick when you pick up your suspension
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Very nice, had a BBS set on a Mitsu a minute ago. Loved them!

Search this Thread