Notices
370Z Brakes & Suspension 370Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

For those of you who track, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not anything you would have to worry about. As an everyday car the limits are high enough to keep even street hoodlums out of trouble. The problem comes in when you track the car. Tracking cars puts an additional strain on the car. Lap after lap your are heating everything up. Some components can take the abuse but the brakes will tend to have problems because they can't dissipate the heat quickly enough. In street driving there isn't much of a chance to overheat them, between safety and law enforcement you just can't push them that hard. But because this is a sports car, and let's face it, it is a "track spec" model so you would assume Nissan got these details sorted away. Instead they are hiding behind the fact that it is perfectly safe for street driving (which it is) and the brakes just weren't meant for track use.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
mymooser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Not anything you would have to worry about. As an everyday car the limits are high enough to keep even street hoodlums out of trouble. The problem comes in when you track the car. Tracking cars puts an additional strain on the car. Lap after lap your are heating everything up. Some components can take the abuse but the brakes will tend to have problems because they can't dissipate the heat quickly enough. In street driving there isn't much of a chance to overheat them, between safety and law enforcement you just can't push them that hard. But because this is a sports car, and let's face it, it is a "track spec" model so you would assume Nissan got these details sorted away. Instead they are hiding behind the fact that it is perfectly safe for street driving (which it is) and the brakes just weren't meant for track use.
GOOD TO KNOW!
But also a different story when trying to convince my hubby it's safe enough for me to get
I figured that would be the case. Bummer the 370 isn't making it up to par for track, which I agree is the whole damn point.
But, it's still super sexy, IMO and still the next best thing to the GTR or R8 of my dreams!
Maybe one day I'll be loaded and able to by myself one.
But until then, I'll look forward to my attempt to trade up for my new 370Z Roadster in white
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering these cars have been out for over a year now. The question that would come to mind is, those that track their cars and have after market bodykits on their cars, has the chosen modded kit increased the airflow to the brakes over the stock?? Or hasn't anyone noticed?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Zazz93

I think those who track their cars are "nursing" them, because they understand that looms in the background. I haven't noticed an aftermarket kit that is specifically setup to improve flow to the brakes. To do that I believe a basic pair of ducts, a couple of hours and mounting hardware would do the trick, which I have noticed on some dedicated track Z's.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Zazz93

I've also noticed a few dedicated track Z's (mostly 370's) limit the number of hot laps to a very small number. And they alway cite heat... however in the past I always assumed that was oil temps not "all temps" (oil, brake and water).
Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Chris_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazz93
I haven't noticed an aftermarket kit that is specifically setup to improve flow to the brakes. To do that I believe a basic pair of ducts, a couple of hours and mounting hardware would do the trick, which I have noticed on some dedicated track Z's.
The better aftermarket brake systems do a better job of thermal management. They also use curved-vane rotors that pump considerably more air than the OE rotors do.

Cars that are taken to the track more than once or twice a year should have brake cooling modifications done, for sure. This would be in addition to serious brake upgrades. Nothing increases cooling better than a good supply of air at ambient temperature. However, the Akebono brakes are not even close to real track brakes. There is only so much that can be done with OE equipment at the prices carmakers are willing to pay.

Chris