Notices
370Z Engine & Drivetrain VQ37 Power and Delivery

ZSpeed Performance "CMAK" Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ZSpeed Performance "CMAK" Review

First off I am posting this in both the Hr & VHR ares for all to see.

So I got the CMAK installed from Z Speed Performance a few weeks ago.

More info about it here:
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...e-ZSP-CMAK.htm

The build quality of the system great. All brackets are zinc coated. The clutch fork is so mean looking. It’s not going to ever give up on you. Install Pics include.

So let’s start by giving you my current clutch setup:
Southbend Stage 3 clutches (NEW) and pressure plate.
Southbend Competition Forged Steel Flywheel.
RJM V2 Clutch pedal system.
Z Speed Performance HD CSC (old).

First let me say that the Z Speed Performance HD CSC has held up GREAT. Not a single issue. I would recommend it to anyone. I have beaten this thing over the 4 years with a number of track weekends.

On to the CMAK:

The install is simple if you have knowledge of removing the transmission. For us it’s about a 2.5 hour process in and out. We have done it a number of times on my Z.

As for adjustments. Not really any needed. Just make sure the Slave it centered on the fork. (Pic's 9, 10, 11) You can spot this by looking at the boot the Slave. I have a Pic show it wrong and one with it right. There is a little wiggle room for this on mounting bracket for this small adjustment.

Bleeding the CMAK external slave unit was EASY compared to the CSC. Took less them 10 min and we had a full pedal. We flushed the entire system. Let’s just say it moves some fluid.

First dive:

First off I notice the engagement point is Lower which I love. The OEM is Way high. With new setup it’s low but not on the floor. I am really likening it.

The pedal pressure was a bit less than the HD CSC and greater than the OEM (I have Stage 3 clutch and pressure plate). So it did lower the pedal pressure some over the HD CSC.

Driving I did a quick run up the street all the way up the 6th, then turned around. When slowing I did a 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2sd downshift each time. VERY Smooth. Whole new feel. The engagement point I really like. The pedal pressure just adds to the pleasure. Not a workout to push in, but also not a so soft you put your foot through the firewall. You get a feeling.

Over all 110% happy with this change. Looking forward to getting on the Track and testing some more. I would recommend anyone looking at upgrading their clutch system to do this along with it. Get rid of that OEM plastic CSC.
Attached Thumbnails ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-1.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-2.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-3.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-4.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-5.jpg  

ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-6.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-8.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-9.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-10.jpg  

Last edited by cdoxp800; 08-18-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-11.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-12.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-13.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-14.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-15.jpg  

ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-16.jpg   ZSpeed Performance  "CMAK" Review-17.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Pretty good review (despite grammar and spelling :P ).

I'm actually looking at this for my 2008 Z that the CSC just crapped the bed. I don't plan on upgrading the clutch or flywheel since there's barely 45k Miles on mine and I don't plan to add power to the car any time soon other than some ART pipes and tune. Would you recommend this over the HD kit or is it overkill for a stockish Z?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'd recommend doing the clutch cause not doing it is plain stupid
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I'd recommend doing the clutch cause not doing it is plain stupid
Just because the transmission will be out or why?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 PM
HRMoneyPit

Yes 100%

Why would you not spend the 500 to not have to do it anytime in the coming years? And do the work twice just cause
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 PM
NoQuestionZ

I was just having this conversation with my wife today actually.. upgrading while it's cracked open... I just don't even know what my future needs would be? I can't drive the car to its potential now so I don't see the need to add power (my opinion). And no more power doesn't justify a super grippy clutch.

OP, sorry to thread jack..... I'm still interested in the CMAK !
Old 08-27-2016, 09:29 PM
HRMoneyPit

Just get a normal clutch and flywheel from Z1. They have basic kits for under 700 and then you will be set for ever if you don't drive hard
Old 08-28-2016, 04:38 PM
NoQuestionZ

My only problem there is that this will mean the car is likely down until spring. That would take me from around $1400 out the door to 2k+ and it just bums me out to not have the car for 5+ months due to winter and this upgrade
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM
HRMoneyPit

I live in Cali so I don't know that problem lol

But it's worth my sanity personally
Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
I was just having this conversation with my wife today actually.. upgrading while it's cracked open... I just don't even know what my future needs would be? I can't drive the car to its potential now so I don't see the need to add power (my opinion). And no more power doesn't justify a super grippy clutch.

OP, sorry to thread jack..... I'm still interested in the CMAK !
You don't have to go into a "super grippy" clutch, We have clutches that drive much better than the jumpy/lurchy stock clutch and flywheel.

If your stock clutch is in good shape you could reuse it, At 45k it may be ok for another 100,000 miles. It may give up in the next 5,000 miles, Hard to judge that one. All depends on how it has been treated and will be treated in the future.

If you just need a clutch for daily use and don't plan on drag racing or adding a bunch of power our ZSpeed stage 1 Quiet Kit with CMAK would be a great option.

For a Quiet Style Clutch Kit, Replacement Flywheel and CMAK it is impossible to beat for the Price or Quality!

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSP...TG1-QD-FLY.htm
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I live in Cali so I don't know that problem lol

But it's worth my sanity personally
I daily drove mine for 3 years in San Diego- I know the "no winter" thing

Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
You don't have to go into a "super grippy" clutch, We have clutches that drive much better than the jumpy/lurchy stock clutch and flywheel.

If your stock clutch is in good shape you could reuse it, At 45k it may be ok for another 100,000 miles. It may give up in the next 5,000 miles, Hard to judge that one. All depends on how it has been treated and will be treated in the future.

If you just need a clutch for daily use and don't plan on drag racing or adding a bunch of power our ZSpeed stage 1 Quiet Kit with CMAK would be a great option.

For a Quiet Style Clutch Kit, Replacement Flywheel and CMAK it is impossible to beat for the Price or Quality!

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSP...TG1-QD-FLY.htm
I have my "must haves" saved for later use (either the HD CSC or the CMAK delete kit and the Wilwood master). I have considered the Quiet kit clutch and flywheel but I'm on the fence on if I should upgrade to lighter flywheel. I've had the car for 6 years and I still haven't driven it to its potential so I don't forsee any kinda power jump in the coming years. I've been saving for a BBK as my oems are trash but the CSC problem took a dump on those plans....

OP, sorry again to thread jack!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:38 PM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice write up OP. I'm upgrading to a southbend stage 2 daily and was planning on getting the HD CSC but recently learned about this CMAK and this answers a lot of the questions I had, but I still don't have clear understanding on how they differ performance wise and how much more reliable the CMAK is over the HD CSC. Luckily I still have a little bit of time to decide. Keep us posted on how it holds up over time.