Notices
370Z Maintenance & Repair 370Z upkeep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP! My Z is BRAINDEAD!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
redwolfmendoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My Z is BRAINDEAD!

So my brand new 2009 370z has had some trouble starting over the last few months. It's failed to start twice and I have jumped it successfully twice. But last monday night I leave work rather late (10pm). Car started fine, but in the middle of a slight left, my car jolts forward and then my HUD and trip computer flicker and then nothing. I attempt to crank while coasting, nothing.<br/><br/>
Called a buddy who swung by with AAA (saved my ***), but AAA couldn't wake up my Z. So I park it and walk home in the rain. Next morning I attempt to jumpstart with another car. 15 minutes, still no pulse. Trip computer, odometer and HUD turn on, cranks but does not start.<br/><br/>
So I call this place Tip Top Tow to get it into a dealership (both big mistakes). Flatbed shows up, winch has issues. The tow truck needs a tow truck, tow truck guy loses keys, etc but we get it to the dealership nonetheless.<br/><br/>
Once I get there, Service Advisor said it was probably the battery or ECM/ECU, either way they would "proceed under warranty", but that I had to pay for the tow.<br/><br/>
WTF?! WARRANTY COVERS TOWING.<br/><br/>
I fight it, tow truck driver leaves with paperwork.<br/><br/>
Tuesday, service advisor tell me it's not the battery then says he'll call back.<br/><br/>
Wednesday service advisor says "there is no measureable oil in the engine" (I'm like "O RLY? Then shouldn't have drivable last 5k miles, not to mention I had my last oil change at the dealer and have paperwork").<br/><br/>
Friday, walking to work, the service advisor calls and says they can't get a signal from the ECM/ECU and that it was gonna run me some serious time and coin.<br/><br/>
I SWEAR I ALMOST THREW MY PHONE AT A PASSING COP CAR. So pissed.<br/><br/>
The ultimatum was he wanted me to authorize an Electronic Wiring Diagnostic for $585 -OR- I could have it towed and not get anything done. Also he stated that the diagnosis may or may not verify that anything is covered by the warranty. Nevertheless, he needed me to decide by end of day Friday because they needed the space. So the decision is this: 1) Tow the car back to my place, and pay for both tows. Car still broken. Or 2) pay for the diagnosis, worst case scenario can't be fixed cheap and I still pay for tow under the warranty exceptions (what is not covered) and still pay for the tows.<br/><br/>
BUT THE WARRANTY SAYS ALL LABOR, PARTS AND DIAGNOSTICS ARE COVERED! FML!<br/><br/>
So I called Nissan's Consumer Affairs hotline. I'm told someone is looking into may case, awaiting good/bad news today (knowing my luck it's gonna be bad). The only thing that might hurt me is that I have aftermarket Stillen G3 intake kit (which my old mechanic says does not void the warranty).<br/><br/>
Anybody out there have any advice? Anything like this happen to anyone else? Should I call the BBB and/or EPA?<br/><br/>
Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're within the 3yr/36K mile warranty, why should you have to pay for diagnostics? At this point, everything ought to be covered.

I've never seen or heard of a factory warranty that covers towing. Your car insurance should/could.

I suspect in the end, there's a lot more to this story.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 09-27-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
duro78

Damn that sucks for a brand new car
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
hellsoldiers08

the only way they can cause for damage if any is if the stillin intakes are the actual cause of what is going on. In your case i honestly dont think so :/. also, ugh take it to another stealership because even if you get it done there under warranty they can mess it up and stuff just so that they can see you with out your car longer than what is needed.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Obviously you have to get the car fixed. Besides the he said she said charges have you given any money to Nissan?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. **** new cars.

another dealer attempted rape job. $585 diag? i would literally spit
on him when i had the chance. why is everyone @ dealerships human
waste?

document everything. that car smells lemony fresh.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM
alcorrea

I had those issues that's why I got rid of the "Z" nothing but problems.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to different Dealership.
Worked wonders for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
sandthepilot

Could be the steering lock issue some of us have been having
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

member since 2005, single post, cut and paste job with HTML formatting? WTF??

and 'brand new 2009 370z' is actually 2-3 yrs old...nothing really makes sense.

Search this Thread