Notices
370Z Maintenance & Repair 370Z upkeep and diagnosing/fixing problems

02 sensors and Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 PM
shadowoffair

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 02 sensors and Tire pressure sensors

Yup its my turn to beat the dead horse. I have the dreaded P1274 (rich a/f mix) and P1283 (lean a/f mix) codes and they won't go away. I have tried resetting the ecu numerous times and the codes return. Only mods I know for sure I have are k&n filter, test pipes and stage 3 clutch. I bought the car this way... I'm about to buy some ntk sensors online to save some $$ but I need the part numbers orjust general pointers so I buy the right ones. I will probably buy off of rockauto since they have the best prices. I have scoured the forum and my a lot of my reading came up inconclusive with a new plugs or an uprev tune.

On another note something weird is occurring with my 350z. I don't have the tire pressure light on during city driving but as soon as I hit the highway for about 30mi+ my low pressure light comes on. After I have reached my destination and stopped (engine on idling/resting or complete engine restart) for a while it goes away until I drive a distance again. I will be needing some new tires in a few hundred miles but I thought it was worth asking about.

I'm working on restoring this beauty to as close to factory as possible just short of high flow cats. I've only owned the car for about a week and a half and I'm enjoying it so I would hate to have a SES light come between me and my new baby. I've dropped some money on it so I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks for your patience guys. Cheers
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

I have no input on your CELs, but as to your tire pressure light, it's likely a problem with one or more of the TPMS units in your wheels. Have a local tire store with a TPMS reader check the signal strength of each unit and you'll likely find your problem. Keep in mind these small units have batteries that eventually break down over the years.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
I have no input on your CELs, but as to your tire pressure light, it's likely a problem with one or more of the TPMS units in your wheels. Have a local tire store with a TPMS reader check the signal strength of each unit and you'll likely find your problem. Keep in mind these small units have batteries that eventually break down over the years.
^^^ This.

TPMS monitors pressure in the tire and when it detects a 25% (or so) discrepancy in pressure (from stock settings), the TPMS sensor triggers the light. Sounds like you're only getting it at proper operating temperatures (hot tire) so it's most likely just a sensor.

As dkmura said, have 'em check the signal strength then based on that, have it serviced when you get the tires done. They can be "rebuilt" but it's just safer to install a new one.

In the meantime, your tire gauge is your best friend, keep it handy and use it often. You have checked for leaks, yes?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:16 PM
shadowoffair

To the best of my ability yes I have checked for leaks. I do a press check and fluid check at every refuel since I'm still getting used to this car. Does that mean I should buy 4 new ones and have them installed? I do plan on taking it to a Nissan dealer to see if it has any unfulfilled recalls.

I did notice that the valve stem cap on my front driver tire is so tight I actually needed pliers to take it off. Its made of aluminum. after about two super stiff turns on the cap I tightened it back in fear that the core is gone and only the cap is holding in pressure. But if that was the case I would get the light immediately on startup. I do hope I get new stems when i get new tires..

Some additional issue that just popped up is the driver window motor issue. I reset it once and it worked for 2 days or so then went funny again. I have the patience to completely disassemble the motor for a full cleaning and but I'm wondering if its a internal logic issue and not the motor???

I really hope new o2 sensors can fix my problem.

Last edited by shadowoffair; 03-31-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:26 PM
shadowoffair

I just realized i posted this in the 370 instead of the 350 section. Sorry guys could I get an admin to move it Please?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowoffair
To the best of my ability yes I have checked for leaks. I do a press check and fluid check at every refuel since I'm still getting used to this car. Does that mean I should buy 4 new ones and have them installed? I do plan on taking it to a Nissan dealer to see if it has any unfulfilled recalls.

I did notice that the valve stem cap on my front driver tire is so tight I actually needed pliers to take it off. Its made of aluminum. after about two super stiff turns on the cap I tightened it back in fear that the core is gone and only the cap is holding in pressure. But if that was the case I would get the light immediately on startup. I do hope I get new stems when i get new tires..

Some additional issue that just popped up is the driver window motor issue. I reset it once and it worked for 2 days or so then went funny again. I have the patience to completely disassemble the motor for a full cleaning and but I'm wondering if its a internal logic issue and not the motor???

I really hope new o2 sensors can fix my problem.
On the TPMS issue again, were the tires indeed low or were they within spec? If they were truly low then the TPMS system is working. If it's still doing it after tires equalized (and you've driven a little bit to let the brain clear/re-set) then one or more of the sensors is likely bad. Again, the shop (tire or otherwise) can tell you this by "reading" the sensors (on car).

I would just do the one bad sensor. They do go bad but unless you have 150k miles on the car, I'd think the others can wait.

Window motor. Ummmm, I'd say mechanical. Nissan isn't particularly well known for the longevity of the motors they sourced.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM
shadowoffair

I'll take it to the shop this week. and it looks like ill take the motor apart too then thanks!