Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI procharger belt configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
blknblk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ATI procharger belt configuration question

I am currently working on a graduate thesis project related to supercharging my Z and had a question. I need to know the belt and pulley configuration of the serpentine belt on the ATI procharger kit? And what I mean by this is the actual locations of all the idler pulleys etc.. that come in contact with the serpentine belt. Figure 1 below shows the stock configuration. Figure 2 is a guess as to the ATI configuration. If someone can either explain it or use one of my figures to draw it and post it I would really appreciate it.
I already searched for pictures and found many but none of them were able to answer my question. Also tried to find an install manual online but was unsuccessful.
Attached Thumbnails ATI procharger belt configuration question-my350zdoc.jpg  

Last edited by blknblk; 01-31-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick post, what are you studying and how do I get in?

Looking, will update if I can find anything

Found one source, try the OP.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298249

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/329224-how-to-change-procharger-cog-belt-please-help.html

Normally I wouldn't stop until I found the answer, but I am way too beat tonight to keep searching. Someone in one of those two threads should be able to help. jonb and jay'z

nm, Answer ~> https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/296615-ati-procharger-sc-pulley-for-20psi.html

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...9&postcount=12

Last edited by iStan; 01-31-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 AM
blknblk

istan, Your the man, thanks for your help!!! I actually found those same pictures you found and thats how I came up with my guess on the belt configuration. To try and confirm my guess I emailed someone on one of the threads you recommended in hopes to get ahold of an install manual.

For a little explaination of why I need this information, im a mechanical engineer working on a thesis that involves the design and ultimately the fabrication of a variable speed supercharger. I need to fabricate a belt and pulley system that is able to handle the increased loads that the variable speed supercharger will require, compared to a normal fixed ratio supercharger. The variable speed drive I am designing is similar in concept to the older variable speed supercharger McCulloch made (the variable ratio planetary ball drive) which you can check out at vs57.com if your interested.

At this point im thinking that I might go with a belt and pulley configuration below, that is if its feasible. Wont know until I actually get my hands dirty. Ill have to replace the stock "ribbed" idler pulley with "smooth" idler pulley. I think this design provides a greater belt to pulley contact area compared to the ATI design and possibly handle greater loads.
Attached Thumbnails ATI procharger belt configuration question-my350zdoc2.jpg  

Last edited by blknblk; 01-31-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
booger

Im not sure what you are trying to find out [ scanned the post ] but ATI doesnt have its pulley system set up the way you picture it . I beleive it has a extra cog pulley that bolts on to one of the stock serp pulleys and that runs a cog belt to the blower
Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
blknblk

Originally Posted by booger
Im not sure what you are trying to find out [ scanned the post ] but ATI doesnt have its pulley system set up the way you picture it . I beleive it has a extra cog pulley that bolts on to one of the stock serp pulleys and that runs a cog belt to the blower
Your correct!! I am only concerned on the ATI serpentine pulley (and idler pulleys) and how it taps into the stock belt system. Sorry its kind of confusing to explain. But in the picture below you can see ONE idler pulley (on the left) and the serpentine pulley next to it. What im questioning is the existence and location of another idler pulley (out of site) thats possibly located to the right of the serpentine. I called ATI and they are sending me an install manual which will hopefully have pics of the backside of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails ATI procharger belt configuration question-my350zdoc3.jpg