Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SeaFoam? Good or Bad...

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
CircleHeartX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SeaFoam? Good or Bad...

Just wondering if any one has use the sea foam stuff in there car???

Its supposed to be good for your car?? every (10000 miles)?

Or is it just worthless..

http://www.mediabaron.com/blog/wp-co...31_seafoam.jpg
Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Mr. CF

I've used it before on my integra way back in the day....smoked like a mother and "cleaned" it out I guess. I'm assuming it would also "work" on the Z as well, i've never tried it though.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
johndoesdamage

did it on mine with 35k and then did other half a week later when i installed tp
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
CircleHeartX

Originally Posted by johndoesdamage
did it on mine with 35k and then did other half a week later when i installed tp
hmmm...Yeah i just herd about it today..
i Just ordered torboxs tps..
should i do it after install??

Any buddy else that have experience with Sea Foam...

Appreciate the knowledge.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Do a search, it's been discussed here before. Good example...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...2-seafoam.html

People use it to remove gunk and free gummed up engines that have been sitting for years. A new engine with regular oil changes hardly fits the profile.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
krnzzang84

I tried on my friend's integra and improved idle (140k on odo)
man those stuff will create a crazy crazy white smoke!!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Gingervitis526

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know all the guys on the ranger forums are crazy about it. Just get it in the brake booster line and watch the smoke pour out. I suggest that you change the spark plugs soon after, theyre gonna be fowled bad
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
johndoesdamage

the second time after tp it smoked so bad neighbors came out looking at my car lol
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 AM
CircleHeartX

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Do a search, it's been discussed here before. Good example...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...2-seafoam.html

People use it to remove gunk and free gummed up engines that have been sitting for years. A new engine with regular oil changes hardly fits the profile.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 AM
CircleHeartX

My car has 75,000 miles
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
+1. I used it on my 97' Eclipse, once it had about 150kmiles. It made the car idle smoother...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
gldgremlin

Originally Posted by vo7848
+1. I used it on my 97' Eclipse, once it had about 150kmiles. It made the car idle smoother...
It helped my 99 ranger [95k miles] with the idle as well.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
danbuh

i seafoam'd the other day with my friend ... the Z loves seafoam, at least it sounded like it. my friends acura sounded like it was about to stall 3-4 times and my Z just rev'd higher. didn't see much results wise, only 48k miles.

basically you take a 10 minute drive. to heat up everything

slowly add the seafoam. don't plunge the vacuum line into the bottle cause you can hydrolock your engine by doing so. instead put it in a half cut off water bottle and slowly let the vacuum line take it in.

wait for 15 minutes. and then start it up and let it idle for a minute or two until your car sounds normal. then take it for a drive keeping the rev's pretty high and shifting at 5k rpm so everything gets and stays pretty hot. should clear out in a matter of minutes.

the only way seafoam can hurt your car is if you add it to the oil and then don't change it right after the drive
Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
CircleHeartX

Originally Posted by danbuh
i seafoam'd the other day with my friend ... the Z loves seafoam, at least it sounded like it. my friends acura sounded like it was about to stall 3-4 times and my Z just rev'd higher. didn't see much results wise, only 48k miles.

basically you take a 10 minute drive. to heat up everything

slowly add the seafoam. don't plunge the vacuum line into the bottle cause you can hydrolock your engine by doing so. instead put it in a half cut off water bottle and slowly let the vacuum line take it in.

wait for 15 minutes. and then start it up and let it idle for a minute or two until your car sounds normal. then take it for a drive keeping the rev's pretty high and shifting at 5k rpm so everything gets and stays pretty hot. should clear out in a matter of minutes.

the only way seafoam can hurt your car is if you add it to the oil and then don't change it right after the drive
^ thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Gingervitis526

I remembering hearing that if you rev it too much it can melt part of your injectors or something like that. Once again this was on the Ranger forums though...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember reading that when you add it to your oil, your car should only be @ idle for like 5 minutes after pouring it in (not driving/in park) because it thins the oil. Then drain the oil n do an oil change. This stuff is strong. YOu can tell it thins the oil because when you drain the oil it runs like water.

One of the above posts indicated to use 1/2 of the bottle for the brake boost vacuum line. But from what i remember reading, for V6 n V4 engines, one should only use 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the brake vacuum line, n the last 1/3 in the gas.

I had sticking valves on my '96 chevy truck n everyone told me i either have to get a new engine or rebuild it because if i had only worked on the top end, my bottom end will eventually blow out because of the difference in compression. Long story short, i wanted to try this stuff before i forked over the money for the engine. And man did it save me money. It got rid of the sticky valve issue, but created an oil leak. They say to be careful with this stuff because its pretty strong n you may have crap in the engine that is preventing a leak in the first place. Im one to vouch for that.

So please use this product with discretion.
I personally would be affraid to use it on my G because i wouldnt want it to eat up any of my gaskets.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 AM
CircleHeartX

Yeah might not be the best thing for a Z or G..should only be a last resort the way i see it now....Ower cars are not old at all so i think they should be fine...IMO

Last edited by CircleHeartX; 04-27-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
three.five

Old thread, I know.... but i just seafoam'd my car this weekend (intake through brake line). Seemed to have worked great, got lots of smoke (not sure this is an indicator that it worked well, but whatever). To me it seems to pull a little more evenly through the entire band. I would not say there is a huge performance gain, but a little smoother excel.

Only problem now is that my "service engine soon" light is on indicating an emissions issue. I wonder if i made an O2 sensor freak out. I am going to bring it into the dealer as i am under the emissions warranty still.

If you put it in the crankcase, make sure to change out the oil WITHIN 150 miles. The sludge it gets off of the walls of will very likely clog up the oil filter that you have...

Doing it in your gas tank will help with injectors and cleanse that system. I do a bottle with every oil change on every car i have had through the years. Seems to really help with longevity.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by three.five
Only problem now is that my "service engine soon" light is on indicating an emissions issue. I wonder if i made an O2 sensor freak out. I am going to bring it into the dealer as i am under the emissions warranty still.
If the mods in your sig are true (HFC), then you have no warranty. They will likely laugh your *** out the door.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Works great. I used it on my Z twice now, and once on my fathers old 01 Altima that was having issues which were resolved by using half a can of that in the tank and half into the intake system.

Originally Posted by CircleHeartX
Just wondering if any one has use the sea foam stuff in there car???

Its supposed to be good for your car?? every (10000 miles)?

Or is it just worthless..

http://www.mediabaron.com/blog/wp-co...31_seafoam.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SeaFoam? Good or Bad...