Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My Kenwood DNX5140 install

Old 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM
vorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Kenwood DNX5140 install

I installed it on Tuesday and took a few pics of in case anyone is interested. Sorry about the poor quality and glare, but had to use my iPhone and since it has no flash, I had to park it outside to get enough light for it.

Like others have said, the 5140 is basically the upgraded, 2009 model of the 5120.

Overview:

I had to extend the holes on the OEM brackets to get it not to stick out, and might have got it a little too far back by a about a mm or two. I also decided to try to make the edges flush rather than the middle or splitting the difference. There are some slight gaps around the edges between the unit and the Metra face, but the are tiny as well. When I showed a buddy today the first thing he said was "Wow, you fit that perfectly", so I guess it's pretty good and should stop letting the OCD in me worry about it.

For the iPod connection I cut a hole in the middle back bottom of the cubby under the rubber mat. I made it just big enough to fit the jacks through. While this may seem like a weird way to do it, I decided to run the female USB jack up through it, then connect the iPod cable, run that back below the cubby and then the iPod cable come back up the top. This gives me access to the USB port on the unit without having to take the dash appart while at the same time not have a ton of cable coiled up inside the cubby. (The iPod cable is pretty long). Optionally I could have had the connection on hanging out the side of the dash in the floorboard, but didn't want any cords showing and this way they don't when the cubby door is closed.

[The mat is up a little on the side in this pic and stuff is moved around to show it all]

Today I decided to change the boot up screen from the Default kenwood one to the Z logo:

Below is the actual image I'm using, if anyone wants it. For whatever reason it's not perfect on the DNX5140's srceen and distorts a little on the circle, I think that can be fixed with some size adjustments on the image size though. If someone fixes it or makes a better one, please let me know cause I suck at photochop.

Also to change the bootup screen on the Kenwood DNX5140 you do the following This works on several other Kenwood DNX units as well, but please note that when I did this it cleared out most of my settings, radio presets, etc, so I recommend doing this BEFORE you go adjust the settings on your unit.

1) Connect a USB flash drive that has the image on it (See why I left the USB port accessible!!! )
2) Hold down SRC+EJECT while pressing the RESET Button.
3) A screen will pop up with two choices "Kenwood Image" or "OEM Image"
4) Select OEM image
5) Select whatever file from the USB drive you want to use and press enter.
6) Turn off the unit (Hold SCR) then power it back up (Hold SCR again).

Your image should now be displayed when the HU boots.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Nice. Excellent fitment and finish. It looks very professional. Your pictures are excellent as well.

--Spike
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
John H.

Looks great. I ran my iPod adapter and USB cable the same way.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Peteski

You did a very nice job! Congrats!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice does that have a video output?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
vorm

Originally Posted by MB33
nice does that have a video output?
Yep, it has a set of AV outputs on the back of the unit, so it could be hooked up to a 2nd monitor.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
StreetOC192

Nice job. Looks great......especially with the emblem as the wallpaper.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Dave_M

Hi Vorm

I've just installed the 5240 - UK version of yours, and can't seem to change the bootup screen. I can get to the choice screen of "Kenwood image" or "OEM image" - but there's no highlight around the OEM image button and it won't let me press it. I've got a USB drive inserted with the pic saved on it. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave
Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
vorm

Originally Posted by Dave_M
Hi Vorm

I've just installed the 5240 - UK version of yours, and can't seem to change the bootup screen. I can get to the choice screen of "Kenwood image" or "OEM image" - but there's no highlight around the OEM image button and it won't let me press it. I've got a USB drive inserted with the pic saved on it. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave
I had problems getting the unit to see images on the flash drive, and this may be why it won't let you select the "OEM image" because it's not finding any. What I ended up doing was taking everything off the USB drive except the images I wanted to use. Also put them in the root of the drive and not inside any folders. After I did this the unit saw the images and I was able to set them. Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
l2iceman

hey, where is the "reset" button? when I hit eject and SRC, the disc drive makes a noise and the unit turns off....that's it...when i press SRC to turn it back on, turns on like usual...i don't see any reset button...there is a pinhole on the front whice I tried poking with a paper clip, but nothing was there...just went through it...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
fizmixa

not sure if this works for the 5140, but this is for the 8120. it also worked for my 7120. apparently you need an additional file on the thumbdrive and the filename for the image cannot have any spaces in it. read through the thread for more info. hope it helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=15074372
Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
l2iceman

hey, ok it worked out, I was pushing the wrong "hole" for the reset button lol..anyway it worked fine, on the usb drive, i had the file on the root directory..I had mp3s and movies on the thumb drive...the mp3 read fine but the movie didn't(was avi)...but anyway, works great!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 AM
wylee

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I just found it through Google.

What Ipod cable are you using? Did you have to plug anything else into the back of the head unit?

I have the DNX5140 and just got an Ipod. I'm hoping to find a cable that will do everything though the USB plug but the cable Kenwood says is required (KCA-IP301V) also has 1 video and 1 audio plug that plugs into the back of the unit.

TIA

Originally Posted by vorm

For the iPod connection I cut a hole in the middle back bottom of the cubby under the rubber mat. I made it just big enough to fit the jacks through. While this may seem like a weird way to do it, I decided to run the female USB jack up through it, then connect the iPod cable, run that back below the cubby and then the iPod cable come back up the top. This gives me access to the USB port on the unit without having to take the dash appart while at the same time not have a ton of cable coiled up inside the cubby. (The iPod cable is pretty long). Optionally I could have had the connection on hanging out the side of the dash in the floorboard, but didn't want any cords showing and this way they don't when the cubby door is closed.

[The mat is up a little on the side in this pic and stuff is moved around to show it all]

Last edited by wylee; 10-27-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM
rumpzz

nice job were you able to wire bypass to emergency brake to view movies while rollin
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
bmxpert57

nice install..mine looks just like yours, from the Z logo down to the orange matching button colorIt sucks the dash has a slight curve and the kenwood face is flat. ugg the ocd
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM
DB350

Looks good man

Wish i could do that haha. I just throw the deck in with the dash kit
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM
njano07

Default Awesome!

Just got a DNX5140 for my '05 roadster, grabbed the last one off of Crutchfield for $595!!! Just wondering if you could elaborate on how you got it to sink into the dash more like that, your install is awesome but I'm nervous about making any mods without knowing what I'm doing. I've installed a ton of units in the past but never had to mess with the depth of the unit... any help would be awesome!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ You have to drill new holes into the factory bracket.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 PM
350zeemy

ok can someone help me out?? im holding src and the eject button.. then reset button.. nothing happens, it just starts up, its not giving me an option for the kenwood or oem image.. i checked usb, and i have image on the usb its not in any folders or anything.. help?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
psytropic

Did you have to drill holes in your cubby for the USB cable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Kenwood DNX5140 install