Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Rolls down when I close the door/ AUTO up/down don't work

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
island03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Rolls down when I close the door/ AUTO up/down don't work

Cleaned my window motor because it was getting stuck down. Everything went pretty straight forward and put it all back together correctly. I go to do the window reset procedure and I complete it. I open the door to get out and the window cracks open like its supposed to, so I think all is well.
Then I close the door and the window rolls down almost all the way....WTF???

I test the Auto up/down function and auto down will roll it down about 5 inches and then stop. Auto up sounds like the motor engages for a moment and then changes its mind.

I've probably done the reset procedure 50 times the correct way last night to no avail. I thought maybe something is inhibiting it, so just to test it I did the reset procedure with a C-clamp on the door closed switch. Even though the door is open and nothing is blocking the window, as soon as I push the door closed switch, the window rolls down.

I've probably done the reset procedure 50 times in different ways (holding the reset switch down AND up....etc) that I could think of and nothing has worked.

I've researched that it might be the BCM but that doesnt make any sense because both windows would be acting up. The window motor works like a champ now so I know its not the motor...

It might be the regulator but I'm not sure what/where that is...

Anyone found a solution to this or have any ideas?

Edit: This is the drivers side window, the passenger side works fine. I also have the KP technologies window module but I've tried the reset with the module both plugged in and unplugged and its no different.

Last edited by island03z; 08-25-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
island03z

I just realized something...
Does anyone know if the window wire/cable has a coil spring or something that helps it roll the window up?

When I uninstalled the motor, the window was in the up position but then slid down....after I cleaned it I installed it while it was still in the down position, not to mention a couple turns of the motor without it connected to the window while i was testing it.

If there is a spring, could it be possible that the tension on the spring is fighting the motor causing it to think that theres something blocking the window and therefore rolling it down?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 PM
island03z

Nope...to answer my own question for anyone that cares, there's no spring on the cable coil....

went back into the door and took the entire motor apart....behind the round silver casing on the motor is a planetary gear set whose sole purpose is to translate the distance required to roll the window up into circular rotational distance about the circumference of the outer gear which presses an up limit switch when the window reaches the top of travel...

The window reset switch isn't even a switch, its just a little rubber piece that holds the outer planetary gear from spinning as the window travels down...

So the motor works fine, the gear set works fine, the uplimit switch works fine...so it can't be the motor....
Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
island03z

Figured I'd post some pictures for anyone wondering what the rest of the motor consisted of. Sorry about the picture quality it was taken with my iphone and I dont own a real camera anymore...

Picture of the "Window Reset Button" removed....you can see the outer ring gear that it holds down

Planetary ring gear set

The little black switch at the top of the rings is the uplimit switch
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM
island03z

Bump...anyone have any ideas why my window rolls down when the door close switch is pushed? anything really...I'd hate to have to start replacing parts blindly
Old 09-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Same **** is happening to me...... I just replaced the fawking motor too... Im going to return it and get a fawking new regulator.. See if that works.. Im sik of this ****..
Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
st8king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem like six months ago I took it to the dealership and they said a wire had simply come loose and they reconnected it and not problems since. Not sure if that is helpful hope that it is somehow. They only charged me the diagnostic fee since it was such a simple fix.

Rich
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by st8king
I had the same problem like six months ago I took it to the dealership and they said a wire had simply come loose and they reconnected it and not problems since. Not sure if that is helpful hope that it is somehow. They only charged me the diagnostic fee since it was such a simple fix.

Rich
If you tell me what wire.. It will be very helpful!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...just one of the three little nuisances in our beaZts!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
st8king

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
If you tell me what wire.. It will be very helpful!!
The invoice says "Found left door handle micro switch not connected reconnected and tested to resolve."

I hope that helps you.

Rich

Last edited by st8king; 09-16-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

I figured out my window AUTO roll down problem. First you should try cleaning it with electric motor cleaner as in the DIY thread.

I did that and it did nothing.. I bought a new motor, still nothing..

Then I had an epiphany and looked at the window switch Male prongs for the connector... I discovered 1 was bent and not going into the female side I then took some needle nose plyers to straighten the prong and cleaned the window switch prongs with Electric motor cleaner, just a slight spray and plugged it..... BAM!! Its perfect!! It lowers again when u open the door, and doesnt automatically fall when u close the door....

Im going to post this in all the window threads to people can check there connectors too.. It could be happening a lot... No need to pay a dealer 500 for bs....

Side note: I noticed where it did bend the prong that female hole on the connector is smaller than all the others which could deflect the prong easily if not careful.... Leading to our cars being ****ed up by dealers techs etc. Then we discover the problem later.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...AutoZone...
Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
island03z

Thanks for the reply Jay'z

I checked what your problem was but none of my prongs were bent. I even put my switches into another friend's Z and his window worked perfectly. I switched my motor into his car though and his window started doing the same thing so I knew then it was the motor.

I proceeded to take the motor apart and as soon as I took the shaft out there were a bunch of broken magnet pieces stuck to it. Apparently there is a magnetic ring on the motor and a sensor on the outside of the case that I'm guessing counts how many turns it makes to know what position it's in.

I doubt I can find a new magnet the right size anywhere around so I guess I'm shelling out the money for a new motor. For anyone doing the window cleaning, be very careful, that magnetic ring is very fragile.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Good, at least you didnt buy a new motor for nothing like me..... .. I never thought to check the darn connector/prongs...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 AM
Shiro

Well for what its worth the same thing is happening to me. I did the DIY clean thing on the drivers side and it worked perfectly for 4 months now back to the same thing. Slam the door to get it to go up.

UGH so for the passenger side did the DIY thing and the motor just wouldnt work so I replaced the motor with a new (reman) one from AutoZone or one of those. worked well for a while then the auto-up quit working. started doing the same thing it will bump down when it gets to the top! the motors eve re-manufactured are like 115 bucks or something. What to do?!?!?!