Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
acharney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for HR

I was just browsing Stillen's website today when I noticed that after I put my '08 350z in the car selection drop down it came up with the available Generation 3 long tube intake. I didn't think the Gen 3 long tubes worked on our cars, but the site suggests otherwise. They even have a dyno which shows 20WHP gain, and they have a pdf showing installation.

Dyno: http://www.stillen.com/product_files/402845~dyno.pdf
Install: http://www.stillen.com/product_files/402845~inst.pdf

Notes on the page say "installation requires mild enlarging of core support" and that it "DOES Fit NISMO 350Z". Also "(Oil or Trans Cooler Req Custom Mod)". You will see this when you go to the page http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIDHIFLW03&c=PE and then select your car.

10/26/2009 Update: I just installed these intakes, go to fifth posting on page 3 in this thread to see my results!

Last edited by acharney; 10-26-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Tony07zebra

im so tired of reading about intakes for the hr. keep the stock ones and invest elsewhere
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20whp
Old 10-09-2009, 01:48 PM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injen is the way to go
Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
acharney

Originally Posted by redline06
injen is the way to go

Well, I tend to believe it is possible to make an intake produce more hp gains than the injens. I just talked to Stillen tonight and I think before anyone says anything we should give it a chance. Supposedly the dyno on the 350 HR was without a tune, and did show the most gains out of the three (g35, g37, and 370z). Who knows until it is independantly tried and tested. It is possible, and if it produces more hp than the Injens I for one am interested and all for it! :-).
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 AM
turtleboy

if they prove the more power to them, they did a good job
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

This is a brand new release for the DTB 350Z's, and I think our reputation on the Gen 3 Intake System speaks for itself on the other applications.

We look forward to an independent dyno.. as our dyno is always suspect.. but we get that, unfortunately there are others in the industry who do like to play with their in-house dyno numbers.

Last edited by Team STILLEN; 10-13-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added image
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
cosmec

Josh, what kind of work do we need to do to the support to make these intakes fit?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

The composite core support just needs to be slightly enlarged to accomodate the intake tube passing through it. It's a minor trimming, and can be done in a variety of ways. I've seen anything from dremels to sonicrafter's.. anything to make trimming easy.

While this customer really oversized the holes necessary for the install on this Gen 3, here's a youtube of the entire install so you can get a feel for the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKgTZoAyNQ
Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 AM
acharney

Thanks for the video Josh! I talked to Andrew at Stillen and am waiting a call back from him regarding my next question, but thought it might be useful to ask this question on here as well for others to see: What are the additional modifications that need to be performed on the Nismo edition as mentioned on the Stillen website?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
warmmilk

do you guys (stillen) use K&N filters for your intakes?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Checking on the specific differences in the Nismo 350Z.. the main reason we noted it is the Gen 3 for the Nismo 370Z will not fit, while the Nismo 350Z does.. As you know there are some differences in the front, not to mention the additional support bracing, etc.

Yes, we do use K&N filters for the intakes, and are specific to each kit.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Confirmed there is no difference on the installation into a Nismo 350Z, the only reason it's stated is because there can be some differences, such as the 370Z.

However an oil and/or transmission cooler will take some adjustments to all work together, but won't work with our bolt-in kits as is, just require some modifications.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
raz0rbladez909

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
Confirmed there is no difference on the installation into a Nismo 350Z, the only reason it's stated is because there can be some differences, such as the 370Z.

However an oil and/or transmission cooler will take some adjustments to all work together, but won't work with our bolt-in kits as is, just require some modifications.
I know on your website it says carb pending for this intake, is there any word on if/when it will actually be carb approved; and if so if one were to purchase before it was approved would they be able to get the stickers for carb approval down the line?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM
acharney

Ok, I am excited to say I just ordered the Gen 3 intakes, and also the 409 headers. I will hopefully be getting them both installed within a couple weeks and will also do before and after dynos (on the same day if I can). Wish me luck and I will be keeping you guys posted on the results. I also have Crawford HFC and Fast Intentions Intimidator exhaust already installed (and love them!). After the headers and intake are installed I will probably get an uprev tune in the very near future and be done for a (hopefully long) while (until the SC). ...famous last words.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

It has been submitted to CARB for approval, and the EO sheets are available online once they are approved.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
This is a brand new release for the DTB 350Z's, and I think our reputation on the Gen 3 Intake System speaks for itself on the other applications.

We look forward to an independent dyno.. as our dyno is always suspect.. but we get that, unfortunately there are others in the industry who do like to play with their in-house dyno numbers.

Great product. And such a true statement.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by acharney
Ok, I am excited to say I just ordered the Gen 3 intakes, and also the 409 headers. I will hopefully be getting them both installed within a couple weeks and will also do before and after dynos (on the same day if I can). Wish me luck and I will be keeping you guys posted on the results. I also have Crawford HFC and Fast Intentions Intimidator exhaust already installed (and love them!). After the headers and intake are installed I will probably get an uprev tune in the very near future and be done for a (hopefully long) while (until the SC). ...famous last words.
Awesome! I'm sure these guys will love to see your results. It will be interesting to see the intake response with those other modifications.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John@z1
Great product. And such a true statement.
Thanks John, we're excited to finally launch this missing application from the Gen 3 family..
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM
cosmec

i dont think id be up to dremeling my car for intakes. ill probably still go with the gen 2 intakes from stillen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR