Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, Headlight condensation

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, Headlight condensation

I was outside just now getting something from my car and noticed my left headlight has water inside it. I know people are afraid of opening up their headlights due to condensation, but is this something I should get fixed right away? I don't know how long this has been happening, but what kind of damages can occur if I don't get it fixed? Im going on a trip soon, and have to leave the car, so I wanted to know if I should let it be till I get back, or try to fix it now. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
DB350

Nothing really damaging, just humidity inside of the headlight. Look for cracks before you decide to pop it open, because if you did open it and there was a crack, it would still build condensation, and your seal might not be as good. It will be fine if it's just sitting there, and when you're driving it will reduce vision slightly.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Condensation is something to live with. The headlight is NOT sealed, and water vapour will get inside. Temperature changes will form condensation on the inside lens. In fact attempting to seal the light will only exaggerate condensation.

Water inside the headlight is different. The lamp should not leak water. This is the time to take it apart and seal it or buy a replacement.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

ok sorry, would like to clarify. Not leaking water, but as stated, condensation. Yes I know condensation will form when there are differences in temp, but I thought the headlight was supposed to be completely free of this? Why else would members on here be so afraid to open up their headlights and attempt to seal it so well after opening them? And the weird thing is, my right side is completely fine. There is frost outside the headlight, but inside its clear and free of any water. The left however, you can see condensation and little dots of water.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

I was outside just now and my left headlight has a lot of water inside it. There is no condensation. Its not that cold outside, my bumper, right headlight, everything is still warm, and there is no water ON the left headlight, but a lot of water inside. Not just condensation, but as if someone sprayed water inside. What should I do about this? Who do I ask to fix this? I already tried opening the headlights before, and couldnt do it, maybe I did open it enough for air to seep in?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
abo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste another minute. from personal experience. i caught mines at the last moment. you need to take your headlights down. disconnect all the wires. remove the ballast and bulbs from the headlight. the water is probably reaching your ballast connection now which is probably why its not turning on sometimes. when you take the headlight down and remove the back cap in the back you'll notice a lot of the condensation will be gone. i used a hair dryer and a lot of time to take out the rest of he moisture before putting it back. be sure that all the connections are cleaned and dried up. at the bottom there is a small hose. i removed the small sponge in the hose. ever since i cleaned out all the connections its never came back. good luck with the fix. if you need help let me know.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...densation.html
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
abo

i just copied and pasted my reply to another member... the headlight not work might not apply to you.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:38 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

My main bulb went out today, due to all the raining probably. I didnt check this thread till now, could have saved my headlights. Everything else works, the top led's, city lights, except for the main bulb. Will it still work if I take the headlights out and dry them? Should I even attempt to dry it now with all this rain? Or should I just wait it out and do it when the rain stops?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Can you tell me what sponge you are talking about? I took out the headlight today and tried to dry everything. There is water inside the ballast. Would I still be able to use it? Haven't tried putting it back in till everything is completely dry.
Originally Posted by abo
i just copied and pasted my reply to another member... the headlight not work might not apply to you.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
CarbonZ08

OP I had the same problem you are having and the only way you can fix this is by taking the headlight off the car, clean it and make sure there is no standing water inside. The ballast and everything should be/work just fine after that. You HAVE to reseal your headlight because water is coming in thru the seal. You sound just like me when I was having that problem. Good luck!

P.S. I began having that problem after having someone work on my headlight to add demon eyes. Resealing the headlight is the only fix.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
POWUH
Banned

Just fixed mine this morning , you have to actually remove the headlight and open the ballast wiring to see the water. I dried it with a blow drier and resealed it with some sealant. I didn't need a new lightbulb but im stuck with one cause my friend told me it was that. If you want to drive to my house this weekend ill do it for you , I even have a spare lightbulb just incase you need a new one. My headlight works like a charm now.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:39 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

i completely sealed my headlights...i dumped silicone all over the cracks, can't even see a single dot where water can get it, and yet, there is still condensation in my headlights. Even in day time, when the temp is warm, i can see water drips in my headlights. What is wrong?