Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

good places to buy suits?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
m0nkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good places to buy suits?

Looking for a nice suit to get, but don't really want to break bank. ($300-400 max??) Anyone have good places to shop for them? On top of my head, I can only think of Express, Men's Warehouse.

also, what would I look for in a suit? I'm very skinny so looking for one that's petite looking on me. Most suits look baggy or too wide when I wear it

and what are some good suit tailors recommendation? how much do tailors cost?

Last edited by m0nkie; 02-11-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Men's Fashion Depot...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
m0nkie

is it much cheaper? cause that's all the way in SD n im in LA
Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They usually have sales... It should be around 200-300 for a suit... and they sometimes throw in shirts and a tie or cuff links or even socks with their little sales... I've bought like three suits from there..
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 Day Suit Broker. It's either in Yorba Linda or Placentia, I can't remember. They're only open friday-sunday though. I'm not sure if they have that skinny style, but they have A LOT of different suits. They also tailor the suit for free if you buy from them.

edit: They do have slim suits

http://www.3daysuitbroker.com/slimfitsuits.html

Last edited by calin; 02-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
RRMikey

men's warehouse biaaaaatch...

i hate that stupid commercial on tv. annoys the crap outta me. hahaha
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM
IbarraZ33

the place is called

FIT WEL on ventura, location Studio City. i spend about 1g on my suit but i got alot of stuff !

Custom Fit right to your skin ! great place, friendly and knowledgeable.. when you get your suit (3-4 weeks made in hong kong) they call you in and have you try it on, not how you like it, they TAILOR IT FOR FREE !!! place is hooked up man, PM me for more details..

also to add in, they customize your suit how you want when you purchase it, such as initials on the cuffs, your name in the inside of the coat...

one word yo, LEGIT !

http://www.fitwel.com/

heres the link.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
fart_canon

something like this perhaps??

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by IbarraZ33
the place is called

FIT WEL on ventura, location Studio City. i spend about 1g on my suit but i got alot of stuff !

Custom Fit right to your skin ! great place, friendly and knowledgeable.. when you get your suit (3-4 weeks made in hong kong) they call you in and have you try it on, not how you like it, they TAILOR IT FOR FREE !!! place is hooked up man, PM me for more details..

also to add in, they customize your suit how you want when you purchase it, such as initials on the cuffs, your name in the inside of the coat...

one word yo, LEGIT !

http://www.fitwel.com/

heres the link.
damn that sound great.. but 1G is a bit much for a suit for me now.. haha
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by calin
3 Day Suit Broker. It's either in Yorba Linda or Placentia, I can't remember. They're only open friday-sunday though. I'm not sure if they have that skinny style, but they have A LOT of different suits. They also tailor the suit for free if you buy from them.

edit: They do have slim suits

http://www.3daysuitbroker.com/slimfitsuits.html
cool, I'll be sure to check it out. There's one on in City of Industry by my house..

Originally Posted by RRMikey
men's warehouse biaaaaatch...

i hate that stupid commercial on tv. annoys the crap outta me. hahaha
Men's warehouse gets expensive fast... I bought a suit for prom there in HS and it costed over 500$..
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
m0nkie

Anyone gotten suits from Express?? I know they are over priced and stuff.. but I have brand loyalty there. just not sure how "good" their suits are. Their price range is about 400$ without tailoring.

also, can ANY suit be tailored? or has to be made for tailoring possibilities?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 PM
calin
Banned

You should also check out ZARA. I don't think they have a very big selection of suits, but they have some very nice dress clothing. I'm sure you can find a nice shirt and tie to go along with the suit there.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he will spend over his budget at Zara.

Monkie, if you are slim, buy a suit from H&M. they have a very nice 'hi end' (for HM) suit line. very nice shirts as well. They don't carry this line in all the stores, so pick the nicer one to start at. It will be around 300 for a suit, and you will need the sleeves, and legs tailored at a minimum. if you are very slim, you might want the sides taken in a bit as well, depending on your should/chest size.

if this is your primary suit, buy a medium to dark grey one, not black.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Roger V

Kennedy line from Club Monaco.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

club monaco is expensive, and also not slim fitting for the most part. Kennedy is their classic fit.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Roger V

Originally Posted by Motormouth
club monaco is expensive, and also not slim fitting for the most part. Kennedy is their classic fit.
Is $400 for a suit considered expensive? Must be some really poor suits around here.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by Motormouth
he will spend over his budget at Zara.

Monkie, if you are slim, buy a suit from H&M. they have a very nice 'hi end' (for HM) suit line. very nice shirts as well. They don't carry this line in all the stores, so pick the nicer one to start at. It will be around 300 for a suit, and you will need the sleeves, and legs tailored at a minimum. if you are very slim, you might want the sides taken in a bit as well, depending on your should/chest size.

if this is your primary suit, buy a medium to dark grey one, not black.
Cool thanks. will look around H&M.

why with the dark gray?

Last edited by m0nkie; 02-11-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by Roger V
Is $400 for a suit considered expensive? Must be some really poor suits around here.
for us broke *** college students.. yes big chunk of income
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 AM
FairladyZX

my buddy works at FOX TV wears $100 suits from Chinatown and still get compliments from co-workers

Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Zhottie

Originally Posted by m0nkie
Looking for a nice suit to get, but don't really want to break bank. ($300-400 max??) Anyone have good places to shop for them? On top of my head, I can only think of Express, Men's Warehouse.

also, what would I look for in a suit? I'm very skinny so looking for one that's petite looking on me. Most suits look baggy or too wide when I wear it

and what are some good suit tailors recommendation? how much do tailors cost?
Hi Monkie!

Finally a thread I can help in rather than asking all the questions! lol

Ok, this is MY AREA so forget most of what you've read, though not all. DO NOT buy a suit from Zara, or H&M, or any huge warehouse suit place (unless cost is absolutely the most important thing regardless of look).

The reason the suits your trying look baggy or too wide is exactly why you shouldn't buy from ANY of the aforementioned places or type of place...they don't do good suits and the quality of the suit is WORTH the $$.

So what to do? I think your in LA? You need to head to one of your large department stores (such as Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales) or whatever higher-end stores you have in the US close to you. Go there, and get measured for size FIRST! They are pros and will measure you out and give you that knowledge to take away.

THEN, try on various suits in your size even outside your $$ range, so that you get an idea of how a quality tailored suit should hang on you. Since your skinny, likely you will like D&G or Hugo Boss contemporary or even Canali (has a boxier jacket that makes you look shapely).

Once you have that down, have a look there for anything in your price range! I STRONGLY recommend that if you can afford it in any way, you spend closer to $550 or $600 USD minimum on a suit. BIG difference to those who know clothing. Of course, nothing is ever clearcut, but above that range, you get into better materials and tailoring.

Ideally, I'd tell you to buy a Canali or Zegna and never worry about it again for years. But they are $$$!

However, I am very confident that you can find one of these top brand type suits at these retailers on sale, especially since you are skinny and your size is likely thus not in great demand! You can find top designers for the range I mentioned.

If not, then still avoid no-name wearhouses like the plague, unless they carry at the minimum low-end brands like Calvin Klein, Hilfiger etc. You will see that those types of suits will still retail around $400USD (I'm guessing from Canada here, but close I think) and yet you will clearly know the difference if you start at the top!

Lastly...no matter what suit you buy, don't buy anything that is not accompanied by FREE full tailoring. You will for sure need alterations in the shoulders, waist, and pant to have ANY suit fit you properly if you are really skinny.

OK, hope that helps and put up a picture when you buy!

PS: Brioni, Arnold Brant, Saville Row are some midgrade suit tailors who make good stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: good places to buy suits?