Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

High oil pressure

Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 AM
AAKK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure

Hello everyone.

I have a 2003 350z touring with 91k and bone stock.Today as i was running a little bit harder than usual,i shifted a little harder, not racing, just enjoying a new car, i noticed that my oil pressure gauge went all the way almost to 120 psi for a little while and then went back to its normal position as it should be. It kept happening when i drove aggressively. When i got home, i checked the oil level and i noticed i was running very low on oil.
So, my question is the high oil pressure problem is because of the low of engine oil or there is something actually wrong with my engine ? I searched in the forum and some people have that problem because of the oil pressure sensor which i think does not apply to my case.
What would you think ? any input will be appreciated.
Thank you
PS: I will do an oil changing job by tomorrow anyway to make sure that i am not burning the engine.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AAKK
I searched in the forum and some people have that problem because of the oil pressure sensor which i think does not apply to my case.
The culprit is the oil pressure sensor. Not related to oil level. If it spiked once it will spike again. Will not fix itself. Only get worse.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is oil pressure sensor like stated, but id change the oil and change that at same time while ur down there..easy fix
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
OrleanZ33

Originally Posted by AAKK
Hello everyone.

I have a 2003 350z touring with 91k and bone stock.Today as i was running a little bit harder than usual,i shifted a little harder, not racing, just enjoying a new car, i noticed that my oil pressure gauge went all the way almost to 120 psi for a little while and then went back to its normal position as it should be. It kept happening when i drove aggressively. When i got home, i checked the oil level and i noticed i was running very low on oil.
So, my question is the high oil pressure problem is because of the low of engine oil or there is something actually wrong with my engine ? I searched in the forum and some people have that problem because of the oil pressure sensor which i think does not apply to my case.
What would you think ? any input will be appreciated.
Thank you
PS: I will do an oil changing job by tomorrow anyway to make sure that i am not burning the engine.
I see what the problem is...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
AAKK

No,today as i drove my car normally at 60,70 mph and outside temperature was about 75F, my oil pressure gauge needle moved hesitative, up and down. Usually, at 70 mph, the needle should be at 62,63 psi but today it went up to to 70,75 for a few second then went back to normal ? I am suspecting the sensor to be faulty. Do you have a picture or DIY how to replace it ?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

, are you letting it warm up or is your reporting during cold start and not allowing it to reach normal engine temp.......
Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM
AAKK

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
, are you letting it warm up or is your reporting during cold start and not allowing it to reach normal engine temp.......
No,it was already warmed up . When i was in local, it was normal but it started to act up in the freeway. BTW, i live in Socal and today it was hot
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

So while you were warming up its normal. You may need to change out the sensor.. Call Forged Performance and order one or get it done at the dealer.... Its your call..

Check your oil? what are you doing at idle? Whats your oil spec 5w30?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
AAKK

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
So while you were warming up its normal. You may need to change out the sensor.. Call Forged Performance and order one or get it done at the dealer.... Its your call..

Check your oil? what are you doing at idle? Whats your oil spec 5w30?
Do you have an idea how much the sensor costs ? And do you have any DIY how to replace them ? I am so short on money now therefore going to a dealer to order it and have them installed the sensor is going to cost me an arm and leg.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 AM
tylerxfire

dude go up to the search button andy type in oil pressure sensor, there is a million threads showing where it is..courtesy parts is where u want to order it, its like 67 dollars..very easy to change, it is right next to the oil filter...like i said use the seach button, davidv has put up a diagram all over this site numerous times and i have put the link up to courtesy a bunch of times also...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The sensor is more than likely the cause, it cost about $70 and is easy to replace (as previously stated). Mine went out at about 114K. Like they say it will only get worse and when it does you'll see that its is easy to diagnos. Mine actually started to show pressure before the engine was running, that made it very easy to figure out.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by davidv
The culprit is the oil pressure sensor. Not related to oil level. If it spiked once it will spike again. Will not fix itself. Only get worse.
i was gonna be nice and post up that diagram u put out a few times but i cant find it thru searching either, maybe u can post it up for him of where it is located next to the filter...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/25070-s...tml?cPath=714&

^^this is for 03-06, get the other one if ur year is different
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
AAKK

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i was gonna be nice and post up that diagram u put out a few times but i cant find it thru searching either, maybe u can post it up for him of where it is located next to the filter...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/25070-s...tml?cPath=714&

^^this is for 03-06, get the other one if ur year is different
Thank you so much for being so nice
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM
tylerxfire

na, there is a diagram somewhere that davidv has posted a bunch of times, but i couldnt find it while searching yesterday..if u search around it is a diagram showing where the sensor is, but really just get under the car take the splash pan off and look next to the oil filter it is there on pass. side, just clip the connection off and loosen the old one out of the block (a little oil will come out, nothing much but have a towel ready) then screw the new one in and connect it to the connector
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No Worries guys here's the exploded diagram. It may look a little intimidating but if you pull the lower cover off your car and look right next to the oil filter you'll find it.