Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2008 350z Touring vs. Grand Touring - Please Help!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
iPhoneGuaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 350z Touring vs. Grand Touring - Please Help!

Hi, I have been scowering the net, and can't get a straight answer. Can someone PLEASE tell me in detail, what the differences are between the 2008 350z Touring and Grand Touring trims.

1. I know they have Brembo brakes, but I also heard that they are just the calipers, and not the full after market brembo package with rotors etc, so essentially, You won't be able to tell the difference between the brembos on the GT and the stock brakes on the regular touring. Is that correct?

2. Someone had mentioned, the GT had a better suspension, others have said the suspension is the same as the Touring. Have struts, shocks or anything else regarding suspension in the GT been upgraded from the Touring?

3. I also know there is a spoiler and a chin spoiler. Does the chin spoiler make any type of significant difference in handling, or is it pretty minimal? Also, is this the same things as the undercar diffuser I keep hearing about? If not, what is that, and how significant a difference is it.

4. Finally, I know the wheels are different as well. What are the benefits to having a 19in rear wheel and 18in front? Is it just aesthetic or is there performance value, if so what?

So that is what I know about the differences, please let me know if there is ANYTHING else, and also please try and answer my questions above. Thanks so much!!

One final question, is all of this the exact same on the 2007?

Guaco
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
hellsy

People will welcome you well here..

https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leas...0z-models.html

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=253
Old 02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by iPhoneGuaco
Hi, I have been scowering the net, and can't get a straight answer. Can someone PLEASE tell me in detail, what the differences are between the 2008 350z Touring and Grand Touring trims.

1. I know they have Brembo brakes, but I also heard that they are just the calipers, and not the full after market brembo package with rotors etc, so essentially, You won't be able to tell the difference between the brembos on the GT and the stock brakes on the regular touring. Is that correct?

The calipers, rotors and pads are all different than the standard brakes.

2. Someone had mentioned, the GT had a better suspension, others have said the suspension is the same as the Touring. Have struts, shocks or anything else regarding suspension in the GT been upgraded from the Touring?

I have never heard that before.

3. I also know there is a spoiler and a chin spoiler. Does the chin spoiler make any type of significant difference in handling, or is it pretty minimal? Also, is this the same things as the undercar diffuser I keep hearing about? If not, what is that, and how significant a difference is it.

Both are equally worthless

4. Finally, I know the wheels are different as well. What are the benefits to having a 19in rear wheel and 18in front? Is it just aesthetic or is there performance value, if so what?

Same reason other car manufactures use a staggered set up.

So that is what I know about the differences, please let me know if there is ANYTHING else, and also please try and answer my questions above. Thanks so much!!

One final question, is all of this the exact same on the 2007?

Guaco
There is a ton of information on this forum. Search and 99% of your questions will be answered.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM
hellsoldiers08

i pust the track edition v2 rims on my car. I say they should of came with the car!. Get the car with the brembos and track rims and you be very happy! save you lots of money!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At least you attempted to do some research, JEKL gave you the rest.

Nice username BTW
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Its all about personal preference and what you can find. I ordered a GT because I wanted a fully loaded car. I love the factory brembos and the GT wheels have to be the rarest of factory wheels! I have since removed and stored my factory wheels in place of 19" Nismo's. And removed the factory rear spoiler for a Nismo V.1.
1. Here is what GT's have that Tourings dont: Brembo's, wheels, front chin spoiler, rear under body diffusers, and rear spoiler.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greddytwin350Z
Its all about personal preference and what you can find. I ordered a GT because I wanted a fully loaded car. I love the factory brembos and the GT wheels have to be the rarest of factory wheels! I have since removed and stored my factory wheels in place of 19" Nismo's. And removed the factory rear spoiler for a Nismo V.1.
1. Here is what GT's have that Tourings dont: Brembo's, wheels, front chin spoiler, rear under body diffusers, and rear spoiler.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the wheels on nismo Z's are the rarest.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
Actually, I'm pretty sure the wheels on nismo Z's are the rarest.
In terms of how easy the wheels are to find, you see the Nismo wheels for sale far more often. Between here and Driver, at least 5 sets have sold since November. You don't see the Grand Touring wheels up for sale often at all.

I have never seen production numbers for the GT, so I can't be positive, but I have seen a lot more Nismos on the road than GT models.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Amp'd_350

Originally Posted by JEKL
In terms of how easy the wheels are to find, you see the Nismo wheels for sale far more often. Between here and Driver, at least 5 sets have sold since November. You don't see the Grand Touring wheels up for sale often at all.

I have never seen production numbers for the GT, so I can't be positive, but I have seen a lot more Nismos on the road than GT models.
That doesn't necassarily mean the nismo rims aren't rare, nismo owners are just swapping them out and looking for some easy money on the nismo rims. There has to be more than 1600 GT's out there.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
iPhoneGuaco

Originally Posted by Greddytwin350Z
Thanks Greddy. What exactly is a front chin spoiler, I don't see a difference on the front bumper of the GT as compared to the Touring, I only see what looks like a "front chin spoiler" on the nismo, where it's large and evident.

Also, what do the rear underbody diffusers do exactly, and do they really have a substantial effect?

Finally, I too would want to remove the rear spoiler if I got the GT, could you please tell me what all was involved (removing bolts? adhesive? filling holes? $$ ?) Thanks guys for the responses so far!

Guaco
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Amp'd_350
That doesn't necassarily mean the nismo rims aren't rare, nismo owners are just swapping them out and looking for some easy money on the nismo rims. There has to be more than 1600 GT's out there.
As I stated, in terms of trying to buy a set, they are easy to find. GT wheels are not easy to find.

Thanks Greddy. What exactly is a front chin spoiler, I don't see a difference on the front bumper of the GT as compared to the Touring, I only see what looks like a "front chin spoiler" on the nismo, where it's large and evident.

There is no difference in the front bumper on any '06+ models.

Also, what do the rear underbody diffusers do exactly, and do they really have a substantial effect?

On a street car, they do nothing significant.

Finally, I too would want to remove the rear spoiler if I got the GT, could you please tell me what all was involved (removing bolts? adhesive? filling holes? $$ ?)

Search in the Exterior section. There are several threads on how to remove it.

Guaco
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Originally Posted by Amp'd_350
That doesn't necassarily mean the nismo rims aren't rare, nismo owners are just swapping them out and looking for some easy money on the nismo rims. ""There has to be more than 1600 GT's out there."""
You may be correct, that more were sold on Track and GT coupes. Remember roadsters received 35th wheels. I will deffinitly say I have never seen another GT at shows! Alot of Base, enth, tourings, and even Nismo's. I know the dealer that ordered me my GT didnt sell another GT in 06! The salesman told me the owner wouldnt order a GT to keep on the lot in fear that it wouldnt sell! That most people in the market for a Z wasnt interested in a loaded car! As far as rarity I see alot more Nismo wheels Ebay and here. There is even a guy in Florida on Ebay selling them. I mean a wheel shop. He must be working out a deal with a dealer. Lets face it they are the same wheel except the color and one has 3 little dimples and the other has lines! But imo the GT wheels are alot rarer just because you hardly ever see them for sale.

Last edited by Greddytwin350Z; 02-28-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Finally, I too would want to remove the rear spoiler if I got the GT, could you please tell me what all was involved (removing bolts? adhesive? filling holes? $$ ?) Thanks guys for the responses so far!

Guaco

The front chin spoiler is a little black plastic piece that is held on with clips right at the bottom of the front bumper cover, cost around $70 bucks or so. I only know because before I went to a Nismo V.2, I clipped it on a parking curb and replaced it. The rear underbody diffusers work to help with the air flow that is coming underneath and down the back side of the car. Whether there effect is substantial, who knows? Without being in a wind tunnel I would be lying to say I could tell a difference. Plus I have never ridden in another z.
Removing the factory spoiler was a pain in the butt only to get the doublesided foam tape off the car! You remove the interior panels, replace shocks for heavier units, then carefully pry the spoiler up, there are 2 big white plugs on the spoiler that need to pop out. Once removed the whole backside had sticky tape to remove! Not easy when trying to not harm the finish. Then take the template and mark the 4 holes that you need to drille. Carefully set the spoiler down covering the 2 big holes left by the big white plugs. The spoiler comes with foam gasket covers for the two large holes left by the factory spoiler. I used some permatex gasket maker to seal it up better. Then tighen everything down and reinstall covers. I gave it a day then checked it for leaks. Taking you time maybe a 3 hour job!

Last edited by Greddytwin350Z; 02-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, and the other pieces that came with the Track model and GT as well I believe are used simply to lower the coefficient of drag. It takes the Z from like .30 to .29 or something if I remember correctly. Its not something you really need to worry about.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Took me almost 1.5 years to find a set of GT v2 wheels, searching this forum, craigslist and ebay daily.

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by JEKL

+1, i've seen a few Nismo wheels, but the v2 tracks are impossible.

Last edited by dfresh713; 02-28-2010 at 08:47 PM.