Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear Squeaks When Going Over Bumps

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM
sconosciuto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Squeaks When Going Over Bumps

Ok, I've searched the threads for similar issues but really haven't found much about the issue I'm having. If it's been discussed please point me in the right direction.

I started noticing in the morning when I go over speed bumps and such I get a squeak coming from what sounds like the passenger rear side of the car. I've seen other threads where people are talking about the sound coming from the shock on the hatch but really don't think that's the source. It was really faint and only happened in the morning at first, now it happens at any time of day and when I go over the smallest crack in the pavement. My car is an '08 so it's still under warranty but maybe someone can point me in the right direction before I take it to the dealership and they start telling me 10 different things that have nothing to do with my issue. I'm pretty sure this noise is coming from the shock or suspension??? Anyone with a similar experience?

Much appreciative of any help!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be anything from a control arm bushing to your shock going bad. If you want to know what it is, you're going to have to look.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
ni$mo350

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Z. Clicks/ticks/squeeks/rattles is all apart of ownership and the sooner you're content with it the sooner you will start enjoying the rest of the car. Unless it's an abnormal amount of noise like shoes in a dryer then just turn up the music and ignore it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of stuff moves when you go over bumps. Simple things like shocks should NOT make metal to metal contact.

You can do crazy troubleshooting like get under the car with a buddy in the drivers seat. Your buddy jumps up and down. Believe me members have done it.

You can also do "WD-40 troubleshooting." Spray WD-40, for example, at the top and bottom of the spring. If the noise subsides, you have identified the culprit.

Make your life easy. Let Nissan fix it.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Lee R

Someone on here had a squeak and it turned out to be the foam in the rear bumper rubbing a funny way.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I know this thread is a month old, but I had a similar issue a few months back on my '08 and was able to resolve it. For weeks, I thought the squeak was coming out of the rear, but through a bit of luck, I realized that it the driver's side seat cushion making the noise. I pulled out the seat (really easy to do), turned it upside down and shot some lithium grease out of a spray can on every spot where metal meets metal. I also took some electrical tape and made a quick gasket on the four points where the seat mounts to the floor. Voilla! The squeak is gone.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
sconosciuto

In my case I don't think it's the passenger seat. Over the past month it seems to be getting worse. I'm almost certain it's the hatch (or something on the hatch) moving around making the squeak. It's either that or a squeak in the strut or spare tire or wheel jack or spare tire cover, etc........

I think I'll have the dealership look at it since it's under warranty and I don't think they'll be able to refute the problem at this point.

Does anybody have a midget I could borrow to put in the hatch area and diagnose where the noise is coming from?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM
J. Dub

I've stripped my interior in the rear. I still have the noise over any bump or crack in the road. It's just louder now. I'm freakin out I can't find where it's coming from
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I've stripped my interior in the rear. I still have the noise over any bump or crack in the road. It's just louder now. I'm freakin out I can't find where it's coming from
I would get it in the air and look at all the bushings/suspension parts.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

is your car lowered? im dealing with the same thing, but its my rear shocks going bad since im on stock shocks and lowered springs. you might wanna take a shock out test it, replacement is fairly cheap and its a nice diy
Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 AM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by Brett@AwesomeZ
I would get it in the air and look at all the bushings/suspension parts.
Thanks! I'll check that out next
Originally Posted by kno
is your car lowered? im dealing with the same thing, but its my rear shocks going bad since im on stock shocks and lowered springs. you might wanna take a shock out test it, replacement is fairly cheap and its a nice diy
stock suspension not lowered. I have 59k miles on the car. Guess shocks are bad.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM
captfantastic76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

Make your life easy. Let Nissan fix it.

Hahahahaha!!!!! Good luck with that.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
alzatea

Hey Sconosciuto if you are sure that is not the stucts or anything to do with the suspension your problem is in the trunk. Is the little thing that it was driving me insane aswell. If you look in the trunk where the little trunk struts are locate you will find a screw where the trunk door will sit when is close. In that screw head there should be a rubber cover if its missing you will find yourself enjoy the noise.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
HaGioan1

I had a similar problem like this with my 08 Z too. Everytime I hit a nook and cranny in the road, the car would squeak like an old bed. I finally got rid of the noise when I was examining the rear of the car one day and just randomly pushed my palm against the right backside of the exterior. Pushing my palm against the rear panel of the car reproduced the same annoying squeak so I pressed it real hard with my palms. Now the car is silent like a mouse. It was probably a loose panel or something. Hope this helps.