Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Does the ECU keep a log of the Odometer?

Old 06-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Type R Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the ECU keep a log of the Odometer?

If you were to put in a stand alone or a preprogrammed ECU (not a stock ecu reflash/program) does that mess with the Odometer?

I am wondering since the Odometer is digital and in most cars with a digital odometer the ecu is a backup for it.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:15 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a different ECU in my car and the mileage did not change.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 PM
zuff

It doesn't mean that the OEM ecu doesn't record the odometer either.

chances are that it does! It would be simple enough for it to do so. The question is whether the ECU can be fully erased.
I presume you're replacing an engine and want it to start logging from scratch? Either that or you're being a naughty boy!

Ask the TS guys if they know.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Type R Boy

Originally posted by zuff
It doesn't mean that the OEM ecu doesn't record the odometer either.

chances are that it does! It would be simple enough for it to do so. The question is whether the ECU can be fully erased.
I presume you're replacing an engine and want it to start logging from scratch? Either that or you're being a naughty boy!

Ask the TS guys if they know.

Kinda but kinda not. If I do all my bolt ons and then change the ECU and something goes wrong, just like any tuner I would return my car to stock as much as possible and put the stock ECU back in, but now the ECU and odometer does not match and boom Nissan says **** you and no warrenty. Get what I am saying?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:37 AM
zillinois

Ok, lets say the ecu IS a backup and records the mileage. As soon as I plug the stock one back in, it should backup and record the new mileage. Right? I don't know, but that would make sense to me. Hopefully, I never have to put the old one back in to find out.

Also, I just got a datalogger which senses what inputs are available on each car and odometer is not among them. I plugged it into a friend's Scoobie and it sense the MAP and several different inputs that mine did not have. So I kinda doubt that it does. But who knows. Sneaky little car manufacturers.

Last edited by zillinois; 06-17-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id guess its seperate, reseting the ecu by disconnecting the battery or peddle doesnt erase it either. ecu might reference it for its own purposes; but I think its stored seperate.

mileage is mileage on the car not the engine. so swapping an engine isnt a worthy reason to reset it. you just log when the swap was done and subtract to get the mileage on just the engine.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Type R Boy

Originally posted by ares
Id guess its seperate, reseting the ecu by disconnecting the battery or peddle doesnt erase it either. ecu might reference it for its own purposes; but I think its stored seperate.

mileage is mileage on the car not the engine. so swapping an engine isnt a worthy reason to reset it. you just log when the swap was done and subtract to get the mileage on just the engine.

Thats not the reason why I am asking. If I were to one day run all the bolt ons or whatever and a standalone, and say teh tranny goes. First thing is to take off parts so they cant blane my other mods (which they technically cant but will give me a hard time) but if the milage is diff from ecu and odometer then I am screwed. Get what I am saying?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:59 AM
noahbuddy

You're also assuming the service guy is even compentent enough or motivated enought to even try matching them up. I don't think that procedure is mentioned anywhere in the service manual, so chances are they wouldn't even think of doing it.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Demolition Man

you also forget taht the car has an imobilizer. the "stock" ecu is the only one matched to the engine. you can't replace it with another one.

and i guarantee that the tech ain't going to pull the ecu and compare it to a stock one
Old 06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
John@Victory

the ecu doesnt hold the milage on the car....that is a myth....it is what service calls burned into the circut board in the back of the gauge cluster......i am not saying this as a guess...it is fact...i order new odometers every day at the nissan dealership im a service advisor at....ecu has nothing to do with milage what so ever
Old 06-18-2004, 04:03 PM
ChrisMCagle

The Odometer information is stored in a chip on the Instrument Cluster itself, not in the ECU.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:59 AM
dfw350z

Originally posted by tonylittell
the ecu doesnt hold the milage on the car....that is a myth....it is what service calls burned into the circut board in the back of the gauge cluster......i am not saying this as a guess...it is fact...i order new odometers every day at the nissan dealership im a service advisor at....ecu has nothing to do with milage what so ever
Can you provide the part number needed for a 2003 G35c to swap out this chip, so once I change my motor I can replace it.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

the actual gauge cluster its self holds the mialge.... when that is change, they only way it can be changed legally, is by having your mialage logged at your dealer, car remainging at the dealer until the new cluster is installed that is pre-programmed with your mialage...
Old 06-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

so new gauge cluster = in warranty for ever?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM
John@Victory

no....as jason and i have both stated the milage is burned into the circut board on the cluster...the dealership orders the board and submits the milage to the cluster manufacturer...the milage is burned into it and then shipped to the dealer....car must remain at dealership until new cluster arives and is installed....

hope this helps
Old 06-19-2004, 10:00 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by tonylittell
no....as jason and i have both stated the milage is burned into the circut board on the cluster...the dealership orders the board and submits the milage to the cluster manufacturer...the milage is burned into it and then shipped to the dealer....car must remain at dealership until new cluster arives and is installed....

hope this helps

hmmm...this is what I hear

"Find wrecked Z with cluster with xx miles, replace your cluster that has xx+10k miles.....the ECU doesn't know about it, your car for all intents and purposes has xx miles now"

This of course depends on service, registration, inspection mileage jiving.

--wes
Old 06-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

if that really happend he needs to have his odomoter reprogramed... i wouldnt stand for that... he shouldnt either.. getting an extra 10k miles.. not cool...
Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 PM
alininger2001

I think he means replacing the cluster to have 10 thousand miles less.