Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZSpeed Undershroud vs. eBay Undershroud

Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ZSpeed Undershroud vs. eBay Undershroud

Since I already had a ZSpeed undershroud on my 370Z I decided to purchase one for my 350Z. So I called up Joe at ZSpeed and ordered one (Version 2). A friend of mine wanted one too for his 350Z, but he decided to purchase a slightly less expensive (and non powdercoated) aluminum undershroud from a vendor on eBay. We purchased the undershrouds on the same day (a Saturday). Mine arrived on Tuesday. His arrived a week later on the next Tuesday. Last Friday we finally got the chance to compare and install them. The ZSpeed version is powdercoated and the eBay version is not. The ZSpeed undershroud also comes with new hardware and has built in spacers/bushings at specific mounting points to help reduce noise and vibration. The eBay version does not come with either.

Here are pictures of the two undershrouds. The ZSpeed version is black and the eBay version is silver.

Both undershrouds came in similar boxes, but the ZSpeed version was much better packed and the shroud itself was even wrapped in plastic.

The ZSpeed undershroud also has cooling vents. Overall it's just a much better looking and a better made product. Both undershrouds fit fine, but the eBay version was more difficult to install because it came in two pieces and had to be put together as you mounted it.

I definitely recommend the ZSpeed version over the eBay version.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much was the ebay one? I love my zspeed shroud, great product and fast service. always get comments from my oil change guys!! I think any aluminum undertray is better than the plastic crap.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed the Z speed piece is very solid.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I need one of these.... I'd go with the Zspeed for sure
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the review. I've wondered many times the differences between some of the ebay items and the "real stuff" and wish that there were more posts like this as opposed to the "ebay is crap" blanket answer.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM
flecko28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The zspeed one looks so sexy...had my eye on it for a while.

on a side note, how do you like driving with those pilotis? also have had my eye on them
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

ugh 200 bucks....no thanks..
Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by suprasam
How much was the ebay one? I love my zspeed shroud, great product and fast service. always get comments from my oil change guys!! I think any aluminum undertray is better than the plastic crap.
The eBay undershroud was approximately $175 shipped. Not much less than the ZSpeed version and it wasn't powdercoated.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by flecko28
The zspeed one looks so sexy...had my eye on it for a while.

on a side note, how do you like driving with those pilotis? also have had my eye on them
Love driving in my Pilotis. I actually have three pairs. If you shop around you can usually find a good deals on them too. The last pair I bought I only paid about $35 for.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

FWIW, I have the Z-Speed version 1, and bought it as a prototype before powdercoating was an option. If I had to do it again, I think I'd still buy the bare aluminum version, as mine has some minor scratches from removal/install. I think the scratches would look worse if it was powdercoated, and as careful as I am, scratches are bound to happen.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Zspeed undershrouds on my Z33, Z32 and my Z31 I just sold. Each of them fit so well! I hope he gets into making more stuff for the Z33's, maybe a diffuser?
Attached Thumbnails ZSpeed Undershroud vs. eBay Undershroud-z-pics-046.jpg  
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the review. I've wondered many times the differences between some of the ebay items and the "real stuff" and wish that there were more posts like this as opposed to the "ebay is crap" blanket answer.
You are welcome. I agree with you too. It's always good to have a realistic opinion or comparison that someone can use in evaluating a product. That's the main reason I posted this thread. When I purchase products for my cars I often look for how others liked or rated the product before purchasing it. The availability of that information is one of the best things about car forums.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Joe as well, very smart and helpful guy. He worked 2+ hours on my clutch for FREE just because I had bought a slave cylinder from him, and was having some clutch issues...and he wanted to make sure things were perfect before I left...Ton of help!

Spending the 200$ for the zspeed undershroud gets you absolute quality, so you get what you pay for...Will definitely be picking up one of these within the next couple of weeks...

+1 on the diffuser!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you could make your own for ~$60

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-easy-diy.html
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
flecko28

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Love driving in my Pilotis. I actually have three pairs. If you shop around you can usually find a good deals on them too. The last pair I bought I only paid about $35 for.
Sweet! I will be looking around - thanks!