Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My 03 350z won't start randomly

Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM
fr0ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 03 350z won't start randomly

Usually when it gets hot out, my 350z will not start when I turn the key. I'll have to sit there for like 10 minutes and keep trying over and over for it to finally crank and start.

When I start it, I hear the gas pump turn on, the lights on the dash go on, the radio goes on, my voltage meter says good battery, but the car doesn't start as if the battery is dead.

I'll change gears and keep playing with the clutch/throttle and after 5-10 minutes it finally sputters to life. Other times, the car turns on just fine. I have no idea what this is and have brought it to the attention of the dealership twice now, and they can't find anything wrong with the car.

What do I need to replace?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, i changed my last car(altima) for a Z for just about this issue....
First of all dont Crank the motor for more than 15 secs without waiting for the starter to cool.

When u start the car, drive to autozone or something and have then check your SES light to find the codes. From my experience, the Crankshaft Position sensor and Crank position sensor ( if bad or burned) can and will cause your car to not turn on.

If your car is manual u may be in luck. You can try to put the car in 5th or 6th gear, and crank the motor so the crankshaft moves, so the sensor can "see" a new section. Same goes for the Cam sensors. Nissans always have issues with these stupid sensors, the crank sensor will shut off your car mid driving if its bad so :/

Other things U can test, take out the sparkplugs and coils( with a small cable, wrap it around the base( the thread area) of the plug and ground that wire, point the spark plug connected to the Coil-on-plug and point up so u can see it though the windshield when u crank the motor.( if you are alone working on it)

Ideally spark plugs should be tested in a compression test tube, but as long as you see spark you "should" be good.
Another thing you can test if the Fuel PSI, and Your air intake and or Throttlebody. Your MAF and throttle position sensor( usually located next to the throttlebody).

anyway the last things i mentioned, only test if the car is really not starting, since they are most intensive. ALSO remember to perform the RELEARN procedure on the Throttle sensors, if not your motor will start to rev like a honda with a vacume leak.

Umm, anyway just check your SES codes and go from there.
BTW dont do any of these things if you arent mechanically enclined...last thing i need is you to short your ECU or something...

GL
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 AM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the clutch switch?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
fr0ng

Originally Posted by skakemokid
did you check the clutch switch?
yeah, it's not the clutch switch. i think it's the starter or something electrical..but wanted to hear your guys' input as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only way to tell if its the starter, is to test it. Hope it is the starter, cause its cheap, and easy to fix.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skakemokid
only way to tell if its the starter, is to test it. Hope it is the starter, cause its cheap, and easy to fix.
Dude i dont mean to be a "d#@$" but next time try to provide just a little bit more information on your issue, and or car and or what you have experienced. year, milage, etc

If its your starter, when you turn your key you SHOULD NOT be able to hear your starter engaging.

starters are like 200 bucks so its not exactly "cheap" but its "cheap-er" than other fixes if its worse.

your starter wont usually "randomly" work, it usually either works, or doesnt, not really anything in between.

Again GL and Pm me if you want any other help
Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM
fr0ng

So it was acting funky again and I pushed the little button by where the clutch is in and played with that for a minute, and then it turned on fine. I think I've finally isolated it.