Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

FYI: Knocking, clicking noise from front end suspension area -FIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FYI: Knocking, clicking noise from front end suspension area -FIX

For anyone who got any suspension knocking, clicking, growling noise from the front, this maybe a solution for you. My 04 350z was making these kind of noise during hard braking, moving from rearward to forward, turning the steering wheel for more than 1 turn, backing up. However, it did not happen on hitting bump or at high speed. At first, I thought it's my Brembo Brake swap(NO), aftermarket sway bar(NO), Sway bar end link(NO), loose suspension bolts (NO), none of these are causing the noise. After carefully inspected all the bushings, I found the compression arms bushings were broken. Even these bushings broke, they are hard to tell. You have to point the flash light directly on the bushings and check out the edges to see if they are torn. I know that it is a common problem for a heavier G35. I actually knew they were cracked few months ago, but they were not making any noise at all at the beginning, but it got worse. Also, they will throw away the alignment setting (caster), and causing unstable braking at high speed.

The part # for these bushings are 54570-AC70A (Left and right are the same) from Infiniti. Nissan doesnt list these as a replacement parts, only Infiniti does (Replacement for the whole compression arms are what they recommended, however it is not necessary). You still can get them from Nissan by telling them the part # tho.

Taking out the arms are very easy, however, you do need to have a shop to press out and install the bushings for you. I dont have any photos at the moment. I will try to take some later on. Hope this helps.

The compression arm is the one pointing to the right.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally have that f**king clicking noise man, and i havnt been able to find out what the hell it is.... clicking on breaking and slow speeds and cuts off over bumbs then starts again.

My god kind sir your services are appreciated, >>>Going to check...
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
jimpactmfsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a very faint clicking? i have very faint clicking that i notice when i pull out of my garage,cant hear it unless your listening closely for it,so what part is the bushing in that picture,ill probably check mines out

thanks for the info btw!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
pchio

No problem!

Originally Posted by jimpactmfsc
is this a very faint clicking? i have very faint clicking that i notice when i pull out of my garage,cant hear it unless your listening closely for it,so what part is the bushing in that picture,ill probably check mines out
You have to make sure if the clicking noise is from the front or the rear. A light clicking noise may comes from the rear axle. This is another TSB of the Z. Search around the forum and you will see. Removal of the rear axles and apply lubricant is needed for this problem.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:04 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by jimpactmfsc

thanks for the info btw!

Yes, its a very faint clicking noise...it kind of sounds like, um, like if you have a watch a little loose on your wrist with a metal band...flick your wrist around and that clicking noise you hear is EXACTLY what it sounds like. You can only hear it with little outside noise, windows down, radio off, and going slow.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 AM
jimpactmfsc

checked mines out this morning,the top of the bushing is blocked but from what i can see i cant find any signs of wear or tear ,heres a pic,sry its kinda low quality from my phone, am i looking in the right place?
Attached Thumbnails FYI: Knocking, clicking noise from front end suspension area -FIX-img00042.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
pchio

Borrowed this pic from other forum member, the shiny black arm is the compression rod. The pic is taken from the rear of the front wheel.

I do not have my old broken bushing now, but I took a pic of other bushing (from other car) as an example. The red circle is the area u want to look at.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
pchio

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Yes, its a very faint clicking noise...it kind of sounds like, um, like if you have a watch a little loose on your wrist with a metal band...flick your wrist around and that clicking noise you hear is EXACTLY what it sounds like. You can only hear it with little outside noise, windows down, radio off, and going slow.
This might be your problem, GeauxLadyZ. And does not related to the Front compression rod. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...rear-axle.html

Last edited by pchio; 05-21-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:49 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by pchio
This might be your problem, GeauxLadyZ. And does not related to the Front compression rod. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...rear-axle.html
Possibly...yes. But the noise i am hearing is def coming from the front....

HOWEVER....i do have a persistant clicking noise while the car changes gears...esp into reverse...but it only clicks loud once or twice as the gear changes and car jolts then it stops. THIS noise is DEF from the rear...but i thought i was trans or something. Anyway i wrote this in there wondering if was same problem but to less degree since it clicks on gear changes.

My f**king Z is clicking too much.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
sithlordsoup

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pchio

I do not have my old broken bushing now, but I took a pic of other bushing (from other car) as an example. The red circle is the area u want to look at.
My car is freshly starting to make the noise, which red circle area are you talking about?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 AM
ac419

i just had my front compression rod replaced with SPL ones, and my sound is still there. the sounds i have around from the front and they're clunking noises when i turn my steering wheel at LOW speeds it sounds like metal clunking
Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 AM
JackMcNASTY

Holy ****. I have this as well. Loud clicking when I turn my wheels. Especially when backing up. Have had 3 mechanics look at it and they can't find anything. I'm going to check this right now.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here. i have SPL compression arm bushings. Checked all the suspension bolts if they are loose, and bushings but clicking noise is still there. Also somewhere near front right suspension area creaks when i brake.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump...just changed my entire front bushings and clicking noise is still there upon braking/reversing/steering all the way