Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM
nachospizza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?

Guys I am having cranking problems lately and I changed alot of parts and it still having the problems! I read alot of info and it makes me think it is the cause of the NATS Antenna! Here my trouble where is it and what does it looks like? I mean what does it looks like as a part? Could you guys help me out or show me photos of how it looks and where it located? Do I need to have a computer to re-program it or can just replace it with the old one! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
NATS is part of the BCM. It's located behind the driver side kick panel (same area as fuse box; next to dead pedal).
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM
nachospizza

I read a post saying the Antenna is located at the cylinder of where I insert my chipped key? I want to know what's the unit looks like and also is it expensive?

Originally Posted by meanz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
NATS is part of the BCM. It's located behind the driver side kick panel (same area as fuse box; next to dead pedal).
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 AM
meanz

the piece that the key goes into looks just to be the amp. cant really find much info about this
Attached Thumbnails NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?-nats.png  
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NATS antenna is in the ignition switch cylinder. Figured it out during my ST800 install.

Last edited by dmroberson; 03-09-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:19 AM
nachospizza

How big is the NATS antenna and is it expensive? After I replaced it do I need to re-program my remote keys or I am good to go?

Originally Posted by dmroberson
The NATS antenna is in the ignition switch cylinder. Figured it out during my ST800 install.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 AM
dmroberson

I think you'd have to replace the key cylinder. Didn't look like something that could be separated. Not sure how much it costs, off hand. But I'm pretty sure if you replace the key cylinder, you'll need new keys too.

Last edited by dmroberson; 03-09-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 AM
nachospizza

Thanks! That's freakin' suck!!!! So what you did to turn the NATS off? But if I just replaced the key cylinder not the BCM I still need new keys???

I think you'd have to replace the key cylinder. Didn't look like something that could be separated. Not sure how much it costs, off hand. But I'm pretty sure if you replace the key cylinder, you'll need new keys too.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 AM
nachospizza

Thanks means for the diagram!!!

the piece that the key goes into looks just to be the amp. cant really find much info about this
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 AM
dmroberson

When i did the ST800 install, I taped my valet key to the side of the cylinder, and that defeated the NATS system, so the push button start would work.

Yes, if you replace the key cylinder, you'll need new keys, because the ones you have won't be keyed for that cylinder. If you only have to replace the BCM, then you don't have to change keys or anything.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
nachospizza

Thanks for your info!!! But here's my problem now, is my Key Cylinder (Antenna) mess up or my BCM getting mess up that i have to replace??? Very confusing... no code throw... I can usually start my car fine first time but sometimes I cannot and have to crank two or three times to fireup!!! And sometimes when I fire up the Immobilizer will sometimes trying to stop me by giving me really low rpm at idle (300-400rpm) then all the battery, CEL...etc lights will blink and car will eventally died down and have to crank again to get back to normal!!!

When i did the ST800 install, I taped my valet key to the side of the cylinder, and that defeated the NATS system, so the push button start would work.

Yes, if you replace the key cylinder, you'll need new keys, because the ones you have won't be keyed for that cylinder. If you only have to replace the BCM, then you don't have to change keys or anything.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doubt it's a NATS issue. Sounds more like a fuel pump problem.

But if you just wanna try it out NATS can be disabled by an Uprev Pro tuner $300-$400 for the reflash at a certified shop.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
meanz

not to dereail this, still on topic of the Nats...im swapping everything out from my running z into a rolling shell. since im using my ecm from the running z, can i swap the ignitions and be able to start up? That way the key will still be with the same ecm..ive been looking into this but havent had much luck either. trying to save a trip and tow bill to the dealer to get programmed.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not to dereail this, still on topic of the Nats...im swapping everything out from my running z into a rolling shell. since im using my ecm from the running z, can i swap the ignitions and be able to start up? That way the key will still be with the same ecm..ive been looking into this but havent had much luck either. trying to save a trip and tow bill to the dealer to get programmed.
If you're using the same key you're fine. They key is married to the ECU.

But if you end up needing reprogram don't bother paying the dealer just get uprev reflash with NATS disabled.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
meanz

ok thanks, looks like i will be tearing out my ignition tomorrow. already have uprev..
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 AM
nachospizza

Ahahah.. that's what I thought so before so I end up spending US$600 including labor to change a new fuel pump!!! Then it still having problem cranking... and I have changed so many parts before due to this cranking problems... both side of the camshaft position sensor, crank sensor, both side of the oil return fuel line, new spark plug, new coil pads, new throttle position sensor... and not long ago radiator broke so get a new aluminium one and also change to the UR light pulleys... I was wondering if the light pulley causing this problem also but it's not... so after spending all the money change this and that... I think I came to a conclusion that it's gonna be the NATS antenna or the BCM problem... so next seems like I need a new antenna...

But the thing is my Nissan Fairlady is imported from Japan and I am not so sure if I should take the chance to just change the Antenna? Maybe I should try... so I want to be clear changing the NATS antenna I don't need to get a new set of key right because when I get a new second key the shop just look at my BCM and then plug that into his Key computer and make me a new remote control key! I seriously now think the immobilizer is causing me the cranking problem...

Originally Posted by djamps
Doubt it's a NATS issue. Sounds more like a fuel pump problem.

But if you just wanna try it out NATS can be disabled by an Uprev Pro tuner $300-$400 for the reflash at a certified shop.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow. This sounds awful. I'd have started looking into how I would set the car on fire after the 3rd failed attempt to fix it.
Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM
meanz

i just pulled igitions, if you need another antenna thats located with the ignition, pm me, only thing is if you change that out, you would most likely need to be reprogrammed from the dealer.

im guessing its this black box screwed to the ignition?
Attached Thumbnails NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?-img_0057.jpg  

Last edited by meanz; 03-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
nachospizza

Thank you for the photo could you please take couple more clear photos for me so I can take it to shops and ask around for price! Thank you very much are you also having my problem cranking the car up? I start to hate cars with these kind of Immobilizer or any of the electronic sensors or gadgets... freakin **** me off. Spent all the money to change parts that aren't actually the problem... I thought Japanese cars last forever...

i just pulled igitions, if you need another antenna thats located with the ignition, pm me, only thing is if you change that out, you would most likely need to be reprogrammed from the dealer.

im guessing its this black box screwed to the ignition?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 AM
meanz

no im not having any problems. i had 1 complete running z and bought a rolling shell to swap everything into. i put in my ecm from the running z and didnt want to have to take my car to the dealer to get the keys reprogrammed. So im using the same keys and ignition now that went with the ecm. I just wont know if this works for me or not till my supercharger comes back from vortech since my oil pan is tapped and if i try to start the car, i will lose all my oil. i can take better pics and send them to you, no problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?