Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

UPRev in MA // Passing inspection

Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Traininvain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPRev in MA // Passing inspection

Has anyone with an UPRev tune in MA had an inspection done recently? I've been hearing from all over that I'm not going to pass - going to get kicked to a MAC, etc.

http://www.*******.com/tuning/55815-...ev-mass-3.html

Anyone pass in the last month or so with UPRev active in MA? Did you do it with stock map / with tune? What shop did you go to?

Mines up as of tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do. Don't want to get kicked into the MAC system or w/e and have to put it all back to stock.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Elite 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed inspection the last 2 years with my UPRev tune (inspection done in June)

I get my inspection done at Mobil in Methuen on Haverhill St. That is where i go every year.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the MD HFC? You may not pass... I was tuned with uprev but that was with HFC's. I have since removed for Art pipes(post inspection)

Tune is not the problem, moreso the emissions from lack of cats..

Look for a "friendly garage"..
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
03Tour6Spd

No CEL and you should pass no problem. No one checks for cats... Unless your exhaust is loud if they are ****** they can fail you for that.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Traininvain

I've passed with it fine previously (I have MD ART's, it doesn't throw any codes). The link I originally posted was from t-h-e-3-7-0. Apparently there was some change to the process in MA around Feb. of this year timeframe?

Some people that had passed before are getting kicked to MAC, speculation seems to be it's because the flash alters the ROM ID code or some such. I'm not really educated in the area, but apparently the issue is real enough that Dent Sport has a warning on their site and is only tuning UPRev per special request?

Maybe I'm being paranoid
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 AM
03Tour6Spd

Hmmm that is quite possible. If they did they never made the inspectors aware.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 AM
rich2342

This is what i have found: per mass.gov info

Learn more about vehicle emissions and their effects on our environment: visit the Air & Climate home page of the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) website.

What is readiness?
A vehicle’s on-board diagnostics (OBD) computer monitors engine, transmission, fuel system, and emissions control performance. Up to eleven “readiness monitors” or software routines continuously or periodically check these major systems and components under specific operating conditions. If enough monitors have not completed their checks by the time an inspection station connects to a vehicle’s OBD system for an emissions test, the vehicle is “not ready” and will not pass its inspection or re-test.
To pass the emissions test:
  • 2000 and older model year vehicles may have a maximum of two (2) “not ready” non-continuous monitors.
  • 2001 and newer model year vehicles may have a maximum of one (1) “not ready” non-continuous monitor.
  • If the vehicle failed the emissions test with a catalytic converter-related diagnostic trouble code, the vehicle’s catalyst monitor must be “ready” to pass the retest.
Certain common repairs or maintenance procedures can temporarily interrupt power from a vehicle’s battery to its OBD computer, leaving monitors “not ready” for an emissions test because the power loss has cleared all diagnostic results from the computer’s memory. After power is restored, the computer needs to monitor various driving conditions long enough to run the required number of checks again, determine whether emissions-related systems or components are performing correctly, and store this information to be “ready” for a state emissions test.
Until the computer is “ready” for OBD emissions testing, the vehicle will fail its initial inspection or be turned away from a re-test. There may be nothing wrong with the vehicle; the computer simply needs to complete its checks. One week of combined highway and city driving is normally enough to reset the system and provide an accurate reading of vehicle performance.

Motorist Assistance Centers
Massachusetts has established a network of Motorist Assistance Centers (MACs) to help vehicle owners and their repair technicians diagnose emissions problems with vehicles that fail their initial inspections. MACs are conveniently located across Massachusetts.

Your vehicle may be referred to a MAC if:
  • The emissions test analyzer identified something unusual in your inspection that should be verified before you spend money on repairs;
  • Your vehicle is having repeated problems with readiness that indicate you may need additional assistance;
  • Your vehicle has been selected for a program evaluation inspection; or
  • You have a specialty vehicle, such as a kit car.
If your vehicle has been referred to a MAC, it will need to be evaluated there before you can return it to an inspection station to complete the inspection process. If you want to apply for an Economic Hardship Failure Extension or a Waiver of Emission Standards, your vehicle will need to be evaluated at a MAC to confirm that it meets the requirements. Call the Motorist Hotline at 1-866-941-6277 for more information or to make an appointment at a MAC that is convenient for you.
Motorist Assistance Center Locations and Map
BeverlyBourneBraintreeFall RiverFitchburgFraminghamHyde ParkMedfordPittsfieldShrewsburyTewksburyWest Springfield (Reopened at a New Location)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
UpAtSevenFive

I had my car inspected last Jan. Uprev tuned with HFC's and no CEL, full readiness. The garage doing the inspection thought it should have passed.
It didn't fail, but said the inspection couldn't continue and referred it to a MAC center.

Its a real problem, its been happening for a while in Mass with the Evo crowd, running re-flashed roms. If you do end up having to go to a MAC, I hear Medford is the easiest.

Traininvain, PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Traininvain

Yeah, that mirrors what I'd been hearing. Going in tomorrow see what happens - I saw the big evo thread saying medford is the easiest. I guess no matter what I can't show up to the MAC with no cats though, so I'll be pissed if I get referred to one.

However with the ART pipes I didn't throw codes while on the stock ECU. So I might not even have to throw the cats back in. Maybe just get it flashed back to a stock nissan ROM and go in. Thinking about picking up a second ECU off ebay or some such to keep at stock.

Spoke to the guys at DSG today, said they weren't sure but they think the issue might be only on 03-06 and not on the HR's yet. I'd imagine it has to do with a database of valid ROM ID's - maybe they're only matching 03-06 codes and they don't have HR's in the mix yet? Who knows, all speculation.

UpAtSeven - would your car be 07-08 or 03-06?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 AM
UpAtSevenFive

Mine is an 07, so I'm not sure about that theory.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
AgentZ33

is this just happening to uprev or all tuners across different platforms? According to Kaizen, they have had no issues. Uprev is supposedly throwing a fit at DSG for messing with their name. Not sure, a lot of drama going on. I was in the process of doing uprev until I read about this issue over on 370 forum.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Traininvain

Yeah I saw all drama there. To be honest from what I saw it didn't seem like anyone was trying to slander anyone else (originally). Don't see why people can't just blame the state of MA for being lame and look into the situation in a polite manner. Pissing contests and finger pointing never fixed anything as far as I know.

Can't say I blame UPRev for not really diving into it though, I love their product but "some customers" in one Northeast state probably isn't that big of a deal for them. And there's no real technical evidence that I've seen - just some folks that got flagged for MAC. Does seem to be something going on though.

That being said, I'd want to make my customers aware too if I was DSG. They can only get some many people back being failed before it's an issue for them.

I didn't make it in yet for mine, hopefully doing it tomorrow. We'll see - maybe mine won't be an issue.

Love to hear from more people who're UPRev tuned in MA and inspected this year, just to get some more data points. No need to take sides on drama **** just wondering what peoples experiences have been. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
AgentZ33

any updates?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
forza370z

People still going to DSG??? They bolt SPC toe bolts onto my Camber arms! They use other people's map on an e-manager to show my friend that his car boosted 50HP... If I have money, I'd go to Kaizen. Or Ballistic tuning in NH - best price and Scott knows his sh*t.

Anyways, in the past as long as your CEL is not on you should be able to pass the inspection. Guys there are just read from the port and see if there is any error code. That said, I don't know about this year if there are any new rules. You guys should always go to one inspection station and build good relationships. Trust me, that helps a lot.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
shakuya88

This could be an issue with if you have test pipes and do throw a code (P0420 and/or P0430) you can erase those codes through Uprev and the code will never be thrown. However, the readiness monitor for the Catalytic converter will show up as "Not supported" which all cars have to have that one. So that may be raising the red flag on some people. UpAtSevenFive (or anyone else who got sent to the MAC, can you confirm if your catalyst monitor is still there (either ready or not ready) or if your's says not supported?

The area of the ECU that Uprev modifies to provide fuel and timing, etc support is in the Nissan side of the ECU. When Uprev erases a code, it modifies the OBD side of the ecu. The state inspection machine only talks to the OBD side of things. All it can read are trouble codes (No CEL, no problem) and the readiness monitors (cat, evap, misfire, etc) along with pin 16 (battery) voltage, and engine RPM (could also raise a small red flag if the monitors are raising a flag too and RPM is too high)

I'm past due for my inspection since my car is missing a motor right now. I just heard about this from a guy a work with who has a Z. Would like to have this issue resolved before I need my inspection or before any more of us get sent to the MAC.

EDIT: I'm a state inspector and get updates when things change. As far as I know no rules changed. I'll confirm with a few other guys at work tomorrow and update here.

Last edited by shakuya88; 08-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
AgentZ33

dsg seems to be the only one having issues...really odd..
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 AM
shakuya88

Has their been any new updates on this? I need to get a sticker now that my car is back on the road finally. Going to a MAC would suck.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 AM
rich2342

I have been upreved tuned for 2 years and since passed 2 consecutive inspections with exhaust and high flow cats...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Traininvain

So I know I started this thread and didn't follow up - I ended up traveling for work for a few months and just got back.

So I brought the car 3 places - the first two refused to even inspect my car. First one said I had "broken the law" by tampering with my OBDII port. I have a simple extension that runs to my computer in the back, so I can run Touchscan on my carpc and things. As far as I know an OBDII extension is not against the law but this guy was a jackass.

Second place brought the car inside for about 2 minutes, then brought it out. Guy was straight and said basically he can't do it because he can smell the gas, etc. I have MD ART / TDXv2. It's kind of obvious there are no cats.

So I still have my July sticker, no rejection at this point. I'm pretty bummed, I don't know if I really want to do the work to put stock cats on, maybe even reflash. Third place I went inspected and gave me a sticker no questions / no issues - so the Osiris thing was not an issue for me, just have to find the right place I guess.

Anyway I have my sticker so

Last edited by Traininvain; 10-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:38 AM
morphiusrt

Good to know. I was getting nervous reading this thread, as I plan to tune mine next spring. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPRev in MA // Passing inspection