Notices
Asia Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, etc.

Osan AB, ROK

Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Osan AB, ROK

Well, I'm going back to Osan in a few weeks. I've been in Germany for 4 years and it's time for another remote tour. My cars will be stored here in while I'm in Asia. How exactly is the 51 FW nowadays? How is the night life? I heard it's changed a lot, especially the fact that there's no curfew, a bunch of kids running around, and less juicy girls I had a blast back in '06, but how is Osan nowadays? Is Songtan Sally still pimpin' it? Is chicken on the stick still available? Can an E-7 select move off-base?!?!?!?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Master select? Congrats!

I'm not sure what turns me off about Korea but I never wanna do a remote there. (don't even think my job goes there.) I'd rather go to war then pretend every so often.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
angelo350z

Originally Posted by sofa king
Master select? Congrats!

I'm not sure what turns me off about Korea but I never wanna do a remote there. (don't even think my job goes there.) I'd rather go to war then pretend every so often.
Don't knock it 'til you try it . Seriously, Osan (or almost anywhere in PACAF) is such a blast. In fact, I don't remember missing my Z when I was there the last time. Being in Osan is like pretending you're going to war every so often? They exercise, like every other base so it's not really a surprise. You should try getting stationed in Asia and Europe, then decide what's best for you. I used to prefer PACAF's party mentality, but USAFE is much more ideal for me at the moment.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on E7. As far as moving offbase... good luck. Hell, you can't own a car unless you have E7 on, unless they changed that in the past couple years. "SELECT" is not a rank.

S.Korea is a beautiful place, although sometimes annoyingly crowded. I have family there, and was in the area a few years ago. I have friends there now in POL, and they're not complaining too much. Drinking is still the primary means of fun. As for exercises... they went to Korea from Kadena, which is slowly turning into a **** exercise base. If you're interested in culture, it'll be a nice experience.

For the record... where you at in Germany? Do you know anyone that came to Manas?

Last edited by Spork; 09-29-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM
BornSlippyZ

Congrats on the E7 Msgt. angelo350z!

A buddy of mine that I use to serve with just sewn on E7.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
InsaneWang

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to Kunsan in June, but I'm only an E-5
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM
angelo350z

Originally Posted by Spork
Congrats on E7. As far as moving offbase... good luck. Hell, you can't own a car unless you have E7 on, unless they changed that in the past couple years. "SELECT" is not a rank.

For the record... where you at in Germany? Do you know anyone that came to Manas?
Indeed, "select" is not a rank. However, I know numerous unaccompanied E-5s and E-6s that reside off base in Korea. I spoke with my sponsor and though a lot of unaccompanied E-5 and E-6s are allowed to reside off base and drive (with an exception to policy letter signed by their respective CCs), my future squadron isn't as generous. I will once again stay at the dorms right next to the Challenger Club .

I'm in Spangdahlem, been here for four years. I don't know anyone who went to Manas recently, just the crew I was with back in '05. My current unit don't follow the normal AEF cycle--we're enablers so we usually go to "different" places at irregular times.

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Congrats on the E7 Msgt. angelo350z!

A buddy of mine that I use to serve with just sewn on E7.
Thanks guys! Did you get out or are you still in?

Originally Posted by InsaneWang
I'm going to Kunsan in June, but I'm only an E-5
Hit me up when you get there! Come to Osan in July for my pin-on, drinks are on me . PM me your details, I need a fellow Z driver to tell me not to sell my car. The last time I was in Osan back in '07, I sold my '04 DB Base when I went on mid-tour I don't recall why, but it had something to do with "STis and Evos are faster" or "I'll get a 335 in Germany when I get there" blah blah blah.

Last edited by angelo350z; 09-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
BornSlippyZ

Originally Posted by angelo350z
I

Thanks guys! Did you get out or are you still in?

I got out of active duty in the late 90's. I still have a few buddies active in the AF that joined up the same time I did.

I do miss wrenching on aircraft though.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 AM
angelo350z

Well, it's been almost 12 months and I'm almost out of here. Anyone else in Osan AB or in South Korea? Hit me up, we'll bbq and talk cars over some adult beverages .
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh those days. I spent 22 years and retired. Had a 260Z in Okinawa. Actually worked at kadena AB when doing the shipouts, etc. Stationed on almost every base in Okinawa except Camp Swab. Wasn't AF though, was USMC. Overseas tours were the best, spent 13 years out of 22 overseas. Enjoy those tours, you will miss them later on.