Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about tweeter location for components

Old 09-07-2005, 06:36 AM
tmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tweeter location for components

I do NOT have the bose system.

I am not trying to turn my car into a wild sound machine but would simply like to have it sound as decent as the stock one in my GMC Canyon.

To that end, I went by an installer yesterday and told him that I wanted reasonably priced 6.5" components for the front and that I would like the tweeter to go in the spot where the factory one is now..

He said that the area is too small (the one up top across from the mirrors) to fit the tweeter from any of the component speakers that he has access to.

I looked at that area and it seems to me that it should be large enough to hold a tweeter. Either a surface mount or drill out the hole to make it larger.

Has anyone put the tweeter from a compnent speaker in the stock location?

This is on a 2005 Enthusiast model Z

Part of me is tempted to do this install myself because I can get really nice speakers for a lot less than retail but I am worried about that tweeter.
I don't want to drill any holes in the lower door panel and put a tweeter in there.

Thanks for any replies/suggestions.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

I put my tweeters in the stock location. It fit just fine. I had the bose system which already ahd tweeters in there (not sure what the nonbose system has), but i was able to simply take the bracket that held the stock tweeter and bend it to fit the new tweeter. I angled the tweeter so that it points more towards the passenger compartment and it sounds awesome. You should have no problems fitting a standard size tweeter in that spot. The only thing is that the stock grill thats provided in the tweeter location is a little small but i chose to leave it. A lot of people drill out the grill to fit the larger tweeter grills.

Goodluck
Old 09-07-2005, 03:34 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by umzzz
I put my tweeters in the stock location. It fit just fine. I had the bose system which already ahd tweeters in there (not sure what the nonbose system has)

Goodluck
Thanks for answering.

Does your's look like the enclosed picture?
Attached Thumbnails Question about tweeter location for components-tweeter-location.jpg  
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
WhiteZed

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/140811-whitezeds-thread-new-tweeter-pods.html

this is my new thread
Old 09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
tmb

Default Happy!

I am very pleased with how my speaker upgrade went.

I had it professionally installed so I can't get any credit for the install par.

I did not want to spend a fortune on a system but merely wanted a good sounding system.

The car place installed a set of Infinity Reference 6.5" components with an amp and it has many ways of mounting the tweeter.

The tweeter that comes with the speaker would have fit perfectly inside the cutout for the OEM one if the installer used the OEM bracket.
So, don't let anyone tell you that a tweeter can not go in the OEM spot - like I WAS told by another installer.

I opted to go with a surface mount tweeter using the Infinity shiny mounting 'cup' because I did not want to have the sound 'blocked' with by those little holes in the door pod.

The bonus which is really nice is that the tweeter's mount is a perfect color match for the door handles so my install looks like it came from the factory (albeit with a larger extruding tweeter)

The sound with the amp is 1000% better than what came with this car and after I saw what those paper cone Clarion's were, NO WONDER!

So I am very happy to make such a significant sound upgrade that looks OEM for around $900.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the tweeter's mounted in the car so folks can see how they look in case anyone (like me) is in a conundrum as to what to do.
I just got the car back and it's late so I'll take the photos tomorrow and post.

The other interesting thing is the sub location in this car.
We originally were going to mount the amp in there but the hole was not big enough in diameter to even get the amp in unless he cut some metal away but here was the real kicker.
The floor of the sub compartmnent is where the gas tank is mounted and he said that he could not mount the amp in there for obvious reasons.

I bought a 4 channel amp so I could bridge the rears to use to drive a SUB.
I was going to add a sub behind the Z pillar but the sub compartment is suprisingly VERY large so I am going to have them do a sealed sub job in that compartment. They will fill it with dynamat and foam.

The only downside is that the amp is now mounted in the passenger compartment which still leaves me with some useable room in there but I did lose a lot. He had other ideas of where to mount it but I did not want to see the thing so the passenger compartment was my idea.

I am Happy that I finally got the sound that this car should have come with originally.
The sub will be an extra sound bonus because then I can bring the cut off point up higher on the speakers and not make them 'thumpy' with base.

Pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use bass blockers to avoid the "thumpiness" in the speakers, if u like. Many people do that to front speakers when they add a decent sub.

With pics, please also post model info on the amp. Also, did you replace the rear speakers too? Not too clear from your post.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:39 AM
tmb

Originally Posted by usmanasif
You can use bass blockers to avoid the "thumpiness" in the speakers, if u like. Many people do that to front speakers when they add a decent sub.

With pics, please also post model info on the amp. Also, did you replace the rear speakers too? Not too clear from your post.

I am using an MTX 4 channel amp. The rear speakers are NOT connected anymore and I have the rear channels on the amp in bridge mode to feed my 10" JL Audio sealed box sub.

I picked this amp for it's versatility and price cause I am not interested in turning this car into one those thumping kid's cars.
The amp lets me set the low pass cut off to the door speakers so it does the same as bass blockers. Same as the high pass to rear for the sub.

The sub simply fills out the low frequencies for a nice balanced sound and the car is NOT thumpy sounding when turned up load and hearing it from the outside.

Enclosed are some pictures.
The important ones for this discussion are the tweeter pictures.
I think it looks like the car came that way( OEM ) because the trim ring is the same color as the metal trim on the vents and the door handle and the texture of the tweeter cover looks like the texture on the door panel.

The other 2 pictues are the amp in the passenger compartment and the sub which fits nice and snug behind the pillar.

The wire you see is going to the sub. I still have to find a better way to route that to the sub.
Attached Thumbnails Question about tweeter location for components-tweeter.jpg   Question about tweeter location for components-tweeter-2.jpg   Question about tweeter location for components-jl-audio-sub.jpg   Question about tweeter location for components-4-channel-amp.jpg  

Last edited by tmb; 10-08-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does look nice - sort of the missing third part of the vent and door handle set.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:31 AM
tmb

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
That does look nice - sort of the missing third part of the vent and door handle set.
Thanks. That is the way I feel when sitting in the car. The tweets don't stand out visually and the car has a more finished look to it.

I can also see from your sig and your profile that you would not take my comments about 'kids' and the g***o blaster car sound personally.

You are obviously into QUALITY sound.