Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

$100 module for head unit and bose amp?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $100 module for head unit and bose amp?

My installer said that I need to buy a $100 module to let my Eclipse avx2404 head unit work with the BOSE amps/speaker because BOSE tend to be very proprietory. DOes this sound right? Did other people need to buy a module to get there aftermarket head unit play with the stock BOSE system?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I looked at hooking up the Bose HU to regular stock speakers and it required a Line Convertor because of the way the Bose system works. I assume the same would be true if you tried to used Bose speakers with a "normal" HU.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes this is correct. Just so you know even with the converter it will not sound like the Bose system you are used to hearing.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
ZlleH

What does that mean? Do you mean with my aftermarket head unit and the module, The sound will be worse? Or do you mean it will be better?

I heard from other people the culprit to the BOSE bad sound is the head unit.

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Yes this is correct. Just so you know even with the converter it will not sound like the Bose system you are used to hearing.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Cbr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hooked up my Pioneer headunit with no problems, i just got a wiring harness adapter for nissan's and plugged everything in, it sounds way better than my stock Blose
Old 10-22-2005, 12:34 AM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by ZlleH
What does that mean? Do you mean with my aftermarket head unit and the module, The sound will be worse? Or do you mean it will be better?

I heard from other people the culprit to the BOSE bad sound is the head unit.
The whole system is the culprit. Those speakers are not meant to handle a high-power signal. Put simply, your audio just won't have the "oomph" factor.

I tried a Scosche converter/ohm modulator ($50; crutchfield) in my Maxima (w/Bose) when I first installed my Pioneer 7500MP HU. Everything worked perfectly, and was well-balanced and crisp. But the Bose speakers just weren't doing it for me (yes, no oomph) so I removed the modulator and just replaced all speakers. Night and day!

Last edited by usmanasif; 10-22-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:05 AM
ZlleH

I'm getting mixed messages here >_<;;

Cbr says you don't need a module but just a harness kit, and some people say you need a module.

On a side note, So the speaker is the problem? It's not the Bose AMP? Are you saying the Eclipse AVX2404 has it's own amp and will just need to plug directly to the BOSE speakers?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Rog1206

I'm in the same boat as Zlleh. I'm in the process of installing a N1 but when I ask the local stereo shops if that module is needed, they say no, just the wiring harness is required. I have a Bose system by the way.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 AM
ZlleH

LOL

Tell me how it went, Rog1206! It would be a great advantage to know how your install turned out. I'd really appreciate it. When do you plan on being done with the install?

Originally Posted by Rog1206
I'm in the same boat as Zlleh. I'm in the process of installing a N1 but when I ask the local stereo shops if that module is needed, they say no, just the wiring harness is required. I have a Bose system by the way.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
usmanasif

I'm getting mixed messages here >_<;;

Cbr says you don't need a module but just a harness kit, and some people say you need a module.

On a side note, So the speaker is the problem? It's not the Bose AMP? Are you saying the Eclipse AVX2404 has it's own amp and will just need to plug directly to the BOSE speakers?
Amp is the problem. Speakers produce whatever sound the amp tells them to. But the amp is set for a different ohm signal than the aftermarket HUs put out (hence the "proprietary technology"). And it has to be modulated before being sent to the Amp. You can bypass the amp and just wire directly to the speakers, but they will blow from all that power. You can also forget about either and just replace the harness, but this is what will happen: The speakers will get REALLY loud with even a small turn of the volume ****. They will be stressed the heck out!

I went through this whole ordeal in my Maxima, hence I got to know Bose wiring intimately. I realized within a few days after replacing the HU (w/modulator) that the crappy stock speakers were wasting all the money I spent on the HU due to their sub-par sound reproduction. A clean, high-powered signal is wasted through those speakers. And these days, they are not too expensive to replace. $70 Pioneers will sound 10x better, and you won't have to waste money on a modulator either.

Last edited by usmanasif; 10-24-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM
ZlleH

If I were to replace the speakers and amp, will I have to replace the wires as well? I don't think I want to put money into installing the wires, that could be a lot of work hours for the installer.

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Amp is the problem. Speakers produce whatever sound the amp tells them to. But the amp is set for a different ohm signal than the aftermarket HUs put out (hence the "proprietary technology"). And it has to be modulated before being sent to the Amp. You can bypass the amp and just wire directly to the speakers, but they will blow from all that power. You can also forget about either and just replace the harness, but this is what will happen: The speakers will get REALLY loud with even a small turn of the volume ****. They will be stressed the heck out!

I went through this whole ordeal in my Maxima, hence I got to know Bose wiring intimately. I realized within a few days after replacing the HU (w/modulator) that the crappy stock speakers were wasting all the money I spent on the HU due to their sub-par sound reproduction. A clean, high-powered signal is wasted through those speakers. And these days, they are not too expensive to replace. $70 Pioneers will sound 10x better, and you won't have to waste money on a modulator either.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Rog1206

Just installed the the audio portion of the N1 (still haven't wired in the VSS wire or the parking brake wire) w/o the module and it sounds much better than the Bose unit! I probably won't complete the full install until the weekend since I haven't pulled the center rear console and I have midterms all week long. Thought I keep you updated Zlleh.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
ZlleH

Sorry, I didn't quite get 100% what you are saying... Are you saying that yo have hooked up your head unit to the stock BOSE wires and speakers without a module and it works? Sorry if I'm a bit dense >_<;;

Just installed the the audio portion of the N1 (still haven't wired in the VSS wire or the parking brake wire) w/o the module and it sounds much better than the Bose unit! I probably won't complete the full install until the weekend since I haven't pulled the center rear console and I have midterms all week long. Thought I keep you updated Zlleh.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Rog1206

Sorry, I didn't quite get 100% what you are saying... Are you saying that yo have hooked up your head unit to the stock BOSE wires and speakers without a module and it works? Sorry if I'm a bit dense >_<;;
Yeah, it worked fine with the stock Bose amp and speakers. I didn't use the module and it sounds better than stock.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 AM
ZlleH

Nice. So, does your aftermarket head unit have it's own amp built in?

Did you wire the head unit to the stock amp or used the head unit's built in amp? Or did you wire the stock speakers directly to the head unit?

Thanks, if I don't need the module, I might try to install this myself.

PS: Do you have stock navigation?

Yeah, it worked fine with the stock Bose amp and speakers. I didn't use the module and it sounds better than stock.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 AM
usmanasif

If I were to replace the speakers and amp, will I have to replace the wires as well? I don't think I want to put money into installing the wires, that could be a lot of work hours for the installer.
New speakers and amp? Well, yeah, you will need to run wires from an aftermarket amp to speakers.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, an aftermarket HU will work without a modulator, but the slightest turn of the volume **** will raise the sound exponentially. Do NOT send an aftermarket HU's ohm signal to puny stock amp, they do NOT match. You can do it, like the other poster did too, but that does not make it right.

A modulator is a lot easier to install than you think. It is a very simple little box with wires on each end. You simply hook up one end to the back of the aftermarket HU's harness, and the other to the harness adapter that leads to stock wiring. To give you a frame of reference, an install without modulator just hooks up the wires of HU with those of the harness adapter. Hope that makes it clear. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:45 PM
ZlleH

usmanasif, thanks for the heads up on the touchy volume control if you don't use the module.

Rog1206, are you seeing what usmanasif is saying after your install? Is your volume very sensitive?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Rog1206

Hey Zlleh,

The only thing I did was wire up the aftermarket HU's wiring harness to a metra harness adapter and plugged it to the stock harness. I just played around with it today and the volume is a bit sensitive. I don't have the factory navi but I will once I get a chance to drive the car again, I'll see if the sound quality is ok. If not, I'm going to get a module.

-Rog
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
ZlleH

Rog1206, any updates on the sensitive volume? Will you get the module?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Rog1206

The volume seems fine. I did have that alternator squeel but fixed it by grounding the HU to the metal frame that the center bezel bolts up to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $100 module for head unit and bose amp?