Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

So confused?! Can I not power new speakers directly from the head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 03:34 AM
D8V3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So confused?! Can I not power new speakers directly from the head unit?

Hi All,

I am very surprised I have never posted here before as I have had my Z for 7 years now and have just been skulking in the background reading all the comments but not contributing and for this I apologise. I have come across a question I cant find an answer for, and if the answer is out there its buried inside another question or thread.

My question is - is it really that hard to swap the head unit from a Bose system and have after market door and rear speakers powered from the head unit itself?

Ultimately that is what I want to achieve. Are the door and rear speakers powered by the bose amp or does the bose amp just do the sub? I want to replace the front and rear speakers but I've read there is a problem with the impendence.... is this just for swapping speakers with the standard Bose HU? or with an after market HU too?

Many many years ago I followed the below awsomely helpful guide and fitted the same exact stereo in the exact same way but now I want to swap out the speakers. The Pioneer SPH-DA120 I have is putting out 4 x 50w, is there no way to utilize this? I'm no stranger to running new speaker wire through doors to amps ect as I did that in my S2000 many moons ago but I dont want to if I dont have to.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106961...inks-to-parts/

If anyone is able to shed any light on powering new door and rear speakers from the HU itself I would be eternally grateful or if its an "amp or nothing" deal then I guess I best just dig deeper in the pockets.

Thanks all.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

simple answer, is rewire the speakers directly to the headunit bypassing all the bose items
Old 10-25-2022, 04:04 AM
D8V3

Heya thanks for the reply.

So short or snipping up the loom/harness out the back of the stereo and running these new wires directly to the speakers its a no? and I am guessing for this fact alone, people are thinking "Well if I have to run new wires anyway I may as well do it from a decent amp and reap the benefits?"
Old 10-25-2022, 04:15 AM
travlee
Master

bose speakers and amps run at a lower ohm than aftermarket, the only way to make is sound right is to bypass everything
Old 10-25-2022, 04:58 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

If you're changing out the head unit to aftermarket and changing all the speakers to aftermarket as well, then it's pretty straightforward. You can use the existing speaker wires as long as you hook up everything correctly to your aftermarket head unit correctly. There is an audio signal from the OEM head unit that runs to the OEM bose amp behind the driver seat, so if you wanted to keep the same setup, you would run RCA cables from your aftermarket head unit to an aftermarket amplifier to an aftermarket subwoofer.

If you previously put in an aftermarket head unit and hooked it up to the OEM bose speakers, then you just need to remove the signal converter that you previously installed to convert the output for the bose speakers.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:13 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

I brought my speakers wires through the center console to the amp in the back and hooked them up to the wires coming out of the factory amp. You could also re-wire them all directly from the HU
Old 10-25-2022, 05:24 AM
D8V3

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I brought my speakers wires through the center console to the amp in the back and hooked them up to the wires coming out of the factory amp. You could also re-wire them all directly from the HU
Ah ok! So just so I understand you correctly - there was an existing speaker cable going from the speaker in the door to the amp behind the seats. You snipped the wire in the door and put a new speaker in and you snipped the wire in the head unit harness and ran a wire to the location where the OEM amp was to effectively reuse that factory wire running from amp to door?
Old 10-25-2022, 05:27 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by D8V3
Ah ok! So just so I understand you correctly - there was an existing speaker cable going from the speaker in the door to the amp behind the seats. You snipped the wire in the door and put a new speaker in and you snipped the wire in the head unit harness and ran a wire to the location where the OEM amp was to effectively reuse that factory wire running from amp to door?
I did not snip any wires in the doors(unless they had different connections from after-market speakers, but actually I ran RCA cables to an amp that sits in the factory subwoofer location and then ran wires to the trunk where the Bose amp is. The only wires you need to cut would be the wires on the plug coming from the Bose AMP, but yes I reused the factory wires going from the Bose amp to the speakers.

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 10-25-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:33 AM
D8V3

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I did not snip any wires in the doors(unless they had different connections from after-market speakers, but actually I ran RCA cables to an amp that sits in the factory subwoofer location and then ran wires to the trunk where the Bose amp is. The only wires you need to cut would be the wires on the plug coming from the Bose HU, but yes I reused the factory wires going from the Bose amp to the speakers.
ah ok that makes more sense because the wires that are going to the speakers are already there. All I need to do is replace the amp in the factory location and reuse the oem speaker wire. Thank you
The following users liked this post:
travlee (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 06:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Or there's this: https://my350z.com/forum/market/627218

Mfgr. Description here: https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ment/roem-nis2
Old 10-25-2022, 11:23 AM
D8V3

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I already have something similar to this installed which is allowing my aftermarket HU to run the BOSE amps. A follow up question - if I simply bought 2 ohm speakers instead of 4 ohm would they work correctly with the stock BOSE 4 ch amp?
Old 10-25-2022, 01:10 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that the speakers actually are 2 ohm? I've seen conflicting reports where it's anywhere from a 1/2 ohm, 1 ohm, or 2 ohms.

I think the OEM bose amp is pretty underpowered based on the bose speakers. The magnets are pretty tiny. I doubt it has any type of decent power output. I would not wire anything that's aftermarket to the bose amp and expect it to sound decent.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:11 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Part of the problem from what I read was Bose sound profile stays with the amp? I removed the trunk amp from the bracket installed my own mini amp and just used all the existing wiring. Pretty seamless, new component speakers in the doors and woofer only for the rear. Then a powered sub in the factory location.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:21 AM
D8V3

When you say "Sound profile" what do you mean? With regards to the amp in the trunk thats something I would be prepared to do but are the speaker wires not all wired into a big plug? and you have to figure out which wires are speaker wires and which are not?
Old 10-26-2022, 03:03 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Like a sound equalizer if that makes sense. Not sure as it's been a while. Yes I did cut the plug and spliced my amps harness into it, there are inputs, outputs, power, ground and signal just like any amp.
One thing to consider is most HU are 50x4 max while the mini amps will be 50x4 RMS.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:40 AM
travlee
Master

this is just me, back when i used to install stereos part time (never took home a check, just equipment.... the real reason i worked there) we would always run new wires for speakers.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by D8V3
When you say "Sound profile" what do you mean? With regards to the amp in the trunk thats something I would be prepared to do but are the speaker wires not all wired into a big plug? and you have to figure out which wires are speaker wires and which are not?
You can find the plug pin-out online.