Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

steering mounted audio control

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:36 PM
fklentz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering mounted audio control

I have an 04 roadster that I had the bose unit replaced with a pioneer avic z1. I was looking at an 06 roadster and saw that they now have steering mounted audio controls. The question is will the 06 control unit fit in the 04 steering wheel, I'm not concerned with the wiring just the fitment into the wheel.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fklentz
I have an 04 roadster that I had the bose unit replaced with a pioneer avic z1. I was looking at an 06 roadster and saw that they now have steering mounted audio controls. The question is will the 06 control unit fit in the 04 steering wheel, I'm not concerned with the wiring just the fitment into the wheel.
If you are not concern with any wirings, then the fitment should be fine. I have an 06 Touring and the steering wheel looks the same as in previous years. I dont see why it would not work. And, although I love my radio Steering controls I seldom even use them.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:54 PM
drumminguy81

yep it fits perfect there is a great how to on it just search.. i just did that to my 03 love it!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 PM
gt3

Should fit fine, I believe if you want the lighting around the buttons, you will need to get a new steering wheel spiral cable for the extra lighting wires.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
fklentz

I stopped by the Local Nissan dealer after work to check how much the cost would be for the install. It looks like the audio control and cruise control switches come as a single unit, about 80 bucks. As for the steering wheel spiral cable, they could not identify a part number for it. Does anybody here work for a Nissan dealership or have access to identify that part number?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:27 PM
drumminguy81

you dont need the spiral cable all you have to do is get to pinned wires, like out of a car stereo wireing harness and insert the pins into the current spiral harness you have if you find some the right size they will fit right in no problem.. then just use those wires to wire up your controls to the interface box.. if you read teh how to on this it gives good details on how to do it and pictures as well.. just search for steering wheel control.. iwill even do you one better here just click this link: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+wheel+control
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by drumminguy81
you dont need the spiral cable all you have to do is get to pinned wires, like out of a car stereo wireing harness and insert the pins into the current spiral harness you have if you find some the right size they will fit right in no problem.. then just use those wires to wire up your controls to the interface box.. if you read teh how to on this it gives good details on how to do it and pictures as well.. just search for steering wheel control.. iwill even do you one better here just click this link: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+wheel+control
Yes the 06 control units will work without the spiral cable will work as long as you don't care about the lighting. If you want the lighting around the buttons, you may need a new spiral cable.

Here is a quote from another user markoware on the issue from the link above. You may want to PM him to see if he has the spiral cable part number.

Originally Posted by markoware
I ended up using the pins from an old alarm harness I never used, and they worked fine, too.

I installed the 06 Z audio controls in my 05 and used the SWI-X. I was able to get the lighting to work, and the cruise works fine (interestingly, the cancel and on/off buttons are swapped on the 06, but they work as labeled...I never liked how the original controls were layed out).

I used the lighting wires (there are 2, one supplies power and one controls the ground resistance for the dim level) at the VDC off switch. If someone had a base model, then I think the radio would be the easiest secondary place to get to tap the 2 lighting wires.

Now, the one issue I ran into is that the 05 spiral cable has 7 pins, whereas the 06 controls have 8 wires (the plug is the same, it is just short a pin). With the SWI-X, one wire from the steering switch must be grounded, so I grounded it to a screw in the steering wheel. I noticed the steering wheel tested as a really bad ground, so it does not surprise me that my SWI-X is a bit inconsistent in operating right now. I ordered the 2006 spiral cable on Monday ($30 from the dealer), which I assume will have 8 pins instead of the 7 I have now, so I can run the ground through the spiral cable and ground it properly in the dash. I hope that is my issue, at least.

Either way, the 06 controls look nice with the lighting.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM
fklentz

I oredered the switches today, should be here next week. The parts guy said that it "seemed a little cheap for the parts I ordered". What I ordered was the switches for the MY06 audio control / cruise control as per their documentation. What is left in question is what that includes, we could not identify if that includes the trim pieces that cover the switches. He could not give me a part number for the spiral cable. Jeez what a head ache...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Aust350z

Bumping ancient thread.

I've tried my best to locate the part number for the spiral cable to complete this install. I've read all old threads and searched on here, other 350z forums, asked my local (Australian) dealer and googled.

The audio (and cruise) buttons are Product SKU: 25550-CF40A and the recommended air-bag replacement bolts are Product SKU: 87850-89900 (not sure how many I need of these yet).

I have an 03 with Bose. Looking for the 06+ spiral cable part number so I can get the ilumination of the buttons for complete OEM look. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Aust350z; 08-04-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Aust350z

I've continued to look myself as well.

I've read both the 2003 and 2006 service manuals. Looking at the 2006 service manual it referred to the spiral cable as the "combination switch".

I did some checking of part databases and have been able to find this:

BODY-COMBINATION SWITCH
2006 Most Models
2007+ C.(350Z+ENTHUSIA) & C.TOURING.AT & Roadster.(ENTHUSIA+TOURING)
11/2006-01/2007 C.TOURING.MT & C.(TRACK+GT) & Roadster.GT

Product SKU: 25567-Z33003

Can anyone comment if this looks right? or is the correct part for this purpose? From the DIY thread there is the following pic...

The appear the same.

Last edited by Aust350z; 08-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
AreYouAMac

I know that there were 05's with dual steering control...since the 03-05 system is the same...You do not have to buy the 06+ models. However...I WANT to do the same mod, but cannot find the Part # for the 05 dual steering control. Light will be nice...but I personally don't mind not having the lights.

I am not sure if the 05 steering control has the 7-pin or 8-pin. Maybe the later 05's had switched to the newer models already? Not sure.

BTW... where did you find the 03 & 06 service manual? Was it on this website - and can you post the link?

Thanks

Aust350z I posted in that bigger thread that you are on also...

Last edited by AreYouAMac; 08-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Aust350z

Mods can you please lock this thread.

Discussion of this will continue at this thread
Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Aust350z
Mods can you please lock this thread.

Discussion of this will continue at this thread