Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Navigation Updates (Co$t, DVD’s,& Downloads). Garmin plays a trump card.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Navigation Updates (Co$t, DVD’s,& Downloads). Garmin plays a trump card.

I believe the information in my posting is accurate. If anyone sees an error, please post the correction. Of course, arguments, debates, and other/differing opinions are always welcome.

My understanding is that Alpine, Eclipse, Garmin, Magellan, and other GPS suppliers all use a database they license from Navteq. The difference you see when using devices from the various suppliers (e.g., Alpine, Eclipse, Garmin, Magellan, and others) of GPS devices is the implementation of the interface (how their application software presents the GPS data they license from Navteq). Of course the physical layer (DVD, HD, or SD slot) in the device itself is also important (more about that later).

Garmin and Megellan were the first players in this market, and they made transportable devices aimed toward the “aviator/explorer/hiker” market. These devices had (by Today’s standards) a small flash ROM chip that held minimal mapping data but were strong on GPS functions that the current market used. The basic operation of these devices was esoteric. Then Navteq was born, and they created an overlay of the GPS positions to road maps, locations, and addresses. Alpine realized an opportunity, moved quickly to mapping the Navteq database to a road map structure, and they got Chrysler and courted GM. While Alpine was busy converting GPS utilization to the auto industry and the everyday and commercial driver, Garmin and Megellan were still focused on the airline industry, mountain climbers, and nautical applications).

So where are we now? Alpine remains an OEM supplier to the auto industry, and also provides units for the consumer market. Alpine’s GPS device uses a DVD drive to run the GPS application software and store Navteq mapping data. Since Alpine has been in the game for awhile, they have many users (especially OEM users). It is logical for Alpine to stay with the DVD based navigation system they have used for a few years. It is simple to update clients by selling the next version of the application software and updated maps on a DVD. This is a nice revenue stream for Alpine, and by remaining with a DVD driven system, they can support (i.e., gain revenue from) users with older to newer Alpine systems.

Pioneer and Eclipse realized an opportunity, and both companies moved into the GPS market. Their approach was the same to each other, but different from Alpine. Pioneer and Eclipse decided to go with double DIN flip-screen units that they would sell as aftermarket products. Pioneer and Eclipse also took another step by offering hard drives in their upper end devices. The hard drives provide better performance. The units still depend upon a DVD drive for updates, and that is their revenue stream coming from current owners. Kenwood initially went with this approach in the GPS marketplace as well.

But the game and the market are changing. Garmin decided to provide a “black box” GPS device to run in just about any environment. Their product will support OEM installs and provide solutions for aftermarket suppliers (i.e., Kenwood and other aftermarket providers). Kenwood is already offering a Garmin based solution that runs with several Kenwood touch screen monitors. The Garmin product uses a ROM flash-memory chip that is lightening fast and uses a SD slot to update the device’s map data and application software. Garmin is going with a digital unit with no moving parts. Instead of purchasing a DVD update, the Garmin user can download new data and software applications from Garmin’s web site. That arrangement could be defined as “techy,” but Garmin users can get the most current Navteq data and application updates much faster and for less money than Alpine, Pioneer, and Eclipse clients can do this. Put a big number on the scoreboard for Garmin (and for Kenwood who decided to market a Garmin product under the Kenwood name).

--Spike
Old 12-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting review.

For me it's all about interface. I played with a friend's 5" Cobra and went back to my Garmin. I had a three year old iQue 3600 and replaced it with a nuvi 660. Garmin's got the interface down and it just works as you'd think it would. I've got a Pioneer AVIC N2 mainly for the nice screen size and the entertainment features but the nuvi is a better navigator. I still like the N2.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree. Most of the navigation manufacturers license the map data from Navteq. It is the interface that differentiates the various products. The navigation unit for my Jeep Commander is an Alpine unit manufactured for Chrysler, and it is very feature-rich. For example when you get down to a close view (300 feet) in 3d, the map displays the buildings’ outlines. It really looks cool. The Alpine is loaded with features to do just about anything you would ever want. But, like you said, the Garmin has all of those features along with a more intuitive interface. And, the Garmin is very fast (redrawing the screen, moving to various functions, etc.) while the DVD driven Alpine is a little slow in comparison. I like the Alpine, but the Garmin is better.

--Spike
Old 12-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 2 different brand navs for Xmas gifts....I guess the Garvin will go to whomever I like More, thanks for the info.