Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Step-By- Step Instructions on Replacing OEM Battery With An Optima Yellow Top...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 AM
JokerDev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you purchased with a CC, they may have a policy to double the manufacturers warranty up to 1 additional yr. Don't know if it applies to batteries, but worth a shot
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I took the battery in last week to the 4x4 shop I bought it from... I htink it sat on their shelf for a long time before they sold it to me, and they basically unloaded junk onto me, especially after hearing all the great reviews about this battery here and elsewhere. I really saw no bad reviews... and my bad experience seems to be the only one.

Anyways, the 4x4 shop is trying to get it replaced for me under warranty... so we'll see how great Optima stands behind their products. The battery was sent out for testing late last week, so I should know something soon.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
onecoolee

I just got a call from the 4x4 shop and they told me that the battery checks out fine, according to the local Interstate Batteries testing location. How can that be ? If I charge the battery overnight, myself and allow it to sit for 30+ minutes, the voltage drops below 11V, even without it connected to the car. Its not holding a charge... at least not like they claim.

Furthermore, if I install the same bad battery back into the car, and let the car sit for a week at a time or more without charging it, like it does during the winter months, the car will need jump started everytime. This is BS, and I think whoever tested it just doesn't want to do a claim or deal with Optima about getting me a replacement.

This thing has been weak from day 1, and for something that is supposed to deep cycle, I get about 5 minutes of use without having to crank the car... if I don't start teh car, the battery will be too low and won't even turn the car over.... my OEM battery has more power in it than this so-called upgraded battery does.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by onecoolee
I just got a call from the 4x4 shop and they told me that the battery checks out fine, according to the local Interstate Batteries testing location. How can that be ? If I charge the battery overnight, myself and allow it to sit for 30+ minutes, the voltage drops below 11V, even without it connected to the car. Its not holding a charge... at least not like they claim.

Furthermore, if I install the same bad battery back into the car, and let the car sit for a week at a time or more without charging it, like it does during the winter months, the car will need jump started everytime. This is BS, and I think whoever tested it just doesn't want to do a claim or deal with Optima about getting me a replacement.

This thing has been weak from day 1, and for something that is supposed to deep cycle, I get about 5 minutes of use without having to crank the car... if I don't start teh car, the battery will be too low and won't even turn the car over.... my OEM battery has more power in it than this so-called upgraded battery does.
It sounds like 2 things are happening:

1. Coincidentally you purchased a lemon battery

2. You are recieving poor customer service from incompitent people
Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 AM
onecoolee

Originally Posted by vo7848
It sounds like 2 things are happening:

1. Coincidentally you purchased a lemon battery

2. You are recieving poor customer service from incompitent people
I totally agree... and when I get it back, I will take a DMM with me when I pick it up and see if its at 12-12.4V and holding charge. The shop I bought it from told me that was what the guys who tested it were saying, but I don't believe it. I would never have even bothered to remove it from my car and take it in for testing if I didn't think something was wrong... in fact, the OEM battery last longer without charging it !

The 4x4 shop did tell me that if I continued to have problems with it after I got it back that they would help me fight to get a new one... so the incompetence may be on the part of the peope doing the battery testing, and not actually the shop I bought it from initially. I have also heard (and read online) that Optima is not real good about warranty related issues.

I honestly feel that this was a lemon from the start sicne I never noticed any improvement in power over the OEM battery... my lights dimmed moreso when the stereo was really loud with the Optima, and the OEM battery can sit for longer periods of time between charges still start the car over the so-called, upgraded, Optima yellow (D35).

I guess there will be more to come...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by onecoolee
I guess there will be more to come...
Yeah, really sounds like a lemon unfortunately. I only start my car up once every week or two. It cranks like a champ. I've had the batter for about 4 or 5 months I guess and so far zero problems. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Keep us updated. ....
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
alexykysil230

I would like to also add that a D25 size will work as well i had it previously on a eclipse 3rd gen so i tried sticking it into the nismo and it works great since all yellow tops put out the same it works just as good but i also had to use the bracket and couple of rubber fasteners that will go around the battery that i have made myself. But i put the OEM back in until my warranty expires or i decide to put 2 12" type R's into it.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Jedi007

OP thanks for the thread! Very helpful. Its always nice to have a heads up on any project no matter how minor!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jedi007
OP thanks for the thread! Very helpful. Its always nice to have a heads up on any project no matter how minor!
No prob. I'm glad my thread could help out fellow enthusiast...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

how much heavier is this battery to the stock?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
twotonetrack

Big thanks to vo7848. I just installed the yellow top earlier today and it was much easier than all the pictures and write up make you believe. It took less than half an hour.

Be extra careful removing the battery tie down as I letthe back bolt slip and I had to have my girlfriend and her tiny hands retrieve it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by twotonetrack
Big thanks to vo7848.
Glad I could help bro...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
elcapeo

I'm a novice when it comes to car maintenance so big thanks to vo7848 for posting this guide.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by elcapeo
I'm a novice when it comes to car maintenance so big thanks to vo7848 for posting this guide.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Sablelieger

Awesome writeup; I want to replace my battery with a Yellow Top and now, I know how to do it.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sablelieger
Awesome writeup; I want to replace my battery with a Yellow Top and now, I know how to do it.
Thanks man...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
B5I8

I'm curious to know why you didn't go with a Kinetik or XS Power battery. I had a Yellow Top but I changed it to a Kinetik HC1400. With the Yellow Top I still had dimming problems when playing my system loud, with the Kinetik I have no dimming. Also, doing the Big 3 is a must for anyone putting a system in their car.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by B5I8
I'm curious to know why you didn't go with a Kinetik or XS Power battery.
Strictly a personal choice on my behalf....
Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 AM
B5I8

If anyone's interested, the PowerMaster XS Power battery (D5100R) looks easier to do than the Kinetik as they offer them with reverse tops. When I had my shop do the Kinetik they had to extend the factory wire so that they'd reach the posts as the posts were at the back of the battery, not the front. The XS Power battery looks like it would fit just like your Optima.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 AM
felixdacat76

Excellent write-up, really helped me change the battery before ever getting under the hood! We'll see how this Yellow Top holds up now.

Quick Reply: Step-By- Step Instructions on Replacing OEM Battery With An Optima Yellow Top...