Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC-D3 Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
ttbbsolid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed d3x with boyo rear view camera together yesterday.
it took me 5hours all together with lots of soldering and shrinking tube.
everything works pefrectly. this DIY helped alot.

connected D3 ground on ground#2 in the picture, and all the other grounds( rear view camera, BT unit, PAC adapter) were tapped with Mute and Ebrake wire and grounded to Grond#1.
Tapped power for BT,Rearview Camera to the HeadUnit "Battery (yellow)".

i have 03 with bose and at first, i didn't get any sound.
after i hooked up the "unit control wire" from the head unit to "amp trigger wire (blue/white)" from PAC adapter, sound came good.

volume is loud enough.
metra dash kit fitted perfectly.
i will post some pics later tonight.
putting all the cables, bluetooth adapter, and PAC adapter behind the unit was PITA really.

My Thanks to OrbitalPunk and ClarkEmtp for making this guide and perfect parts suggestion (PAC Adapter)
Thank you for your perfect guide!

Last edited by ttbbsolid; 03-13-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 AM
sbZenth

For anyone who cares, here is the lowest price i found on the AVIC D3X:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cart....add&item=10618

If you do price matching, reference the al-eds price of 699.00 and they will beat the price by 5%. that puts it at the low 600's. Just wanted to let everyone know
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pics??

Anyone out there i just installed a D3 on my 05 and the dash kit crutchfirld sent me sucks *****....i had to cut the middle peice to fit the double DIN unit. It looks ok but im thinking of buying the metra kit and putting that in. Can anyone who has a D3 chunk me a pic of the unit installed with the metra kit so i can compare. Thanks fellas
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Installed on a 03-05 that is...obviously there is a pic up front of it in a 06+
Old 03-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Project3fiftyZ

....and another successful avicd3 (w/bluetooth)installed following Orbitalpunk's install guide I am definitely glad that I took the time to tear my ride down and do it myself then fork over 300$ for someone else to rush and do a bs job on it.

I will eventually have to go back and install the PAC SWIPS unit I have but I felt strapped for time when I read the instructions they have on their site about soldering resistors. Are there any DIYS about this install? I searched but didn't find anything.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
SolarOrangeZ

I'd appreciate a PAC guide as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 PM
lukep90

any tips on getting the ac unit back in after install??? i am having the hardest time...
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 AM
6894kevin

Can this unit also do HD Radio??
Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM
k1653d

Anyone know what extra items and steps are needed if you have a Bose?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Project3fiftyZ

@ 6894kevin - D3's that Pioneer gives us in the states do not do HD radio.

@ lukep90 - Getting the AC unit in is a b***h! From what I have read from the earlier posts you have the option of removing wires from the harness with all the RCA's in them if you are not going to be using them. In my case I used one hand to clear away wires as I pushed the AC unit back in to place with the other hand. It is a pain but it can be done.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
350zzzgunnar

Anyone who knows if d3x will work in Europe? I'd reall like to get me one.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
lukep90

Finished my install today. it looks CLEAN!!!!

thanks so much to everyone who posted in this thread.

(an idea for orbital punk, maybe you should add what the common questions are to your guide. just a suggestion.)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
baslacker42

May the Lord bless your sweet soul, sir.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Default -----bose System------

Originally Posted by k1653d
Anyone know what extra items and steps are needed if you have a Bose?
Ya the bose system uses a diff car harness (Car's harness to unit-harness) than the non-bose system. READ BACK A FEW PAGES

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 03-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
Anyone who knows if d3x will work in Europe? I'd reall like to get me one.
if you get it from a US dealer, the dvd feature will not work. European dvds use PAL format, and US uses NTSC format. (This is different refresh rates and different resolutions, hence european dvd players do not play american dvds and american dvd players do not play european ones. Therefore, you need to get it from europe.) This is all assuming that the dvd player in the D3 is a standard NTSC player only. Maybe it has a NTSC/PAL player, but i highly doubt it.
I would call pioneer
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by baslacker42
May the Lord bless your sweet soul, sir.
Sweet first post. haha
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Exclamation

Two questions ladies-

1. had d3 pro-installed (mistake) using the 'special' harness for Zs with Bose system from Crutchfield (Prob the same as Metra 7551, right??). Now ive read about this magical Pac-Audio harness that is 'supposed' to be used for those w/the bose system. When and how loud am i supposed to be hearing these "hisses and static"? The only time mine hisses is for a second when i touch one of the touchscreen buttons and the 'DING' sounds. Is this normal even for those w/o bose unit? Other than SQ seems ok. Can we clarify this??

2. After "pro" or "short-bus" -as i should now call it- installed, my 'fresh off the boat' installer messed something up. The bottom part of the dash (over shifter) is flush with the top part of the dash (right under radio) ONLY IN THE MIDDLE where those two clips where bottom dash slides up into top dash are. However on either side the top dash peice hangs over the bottom dash peice like a few MM or so (enough to look janky) HOW CAN THIS BE?? did he not tighten 2 screws at bottom of main dash peice or is the radio sticking out too far on the sides?? (due to flat front radio but curved dash)

Either way BY GOD im fixing this ****!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
nkysmile

How the Sound of this PIONEER AVIC-D3 , I seen in EBAY $720 for full set, only the head unit w/o power amp will have a good sound?

Anyone comment
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Two questions ladies-

1. had d3 pro-installed (mistake) using the 'special' harness for Zs with Bose system from Crutchfield (Prob the same as Metra 7551, right??). Now ive read about this magical Pac-Audio harness that is 'supposed' to be used for those w/the bose system. When and how loud am i supposed to be hearing these "hisses and static"? The only time mine hisses is for a second when i touch one of the touchscreen buttons and the 'DING' sounds. Is this normal even for those w/o bose unit? Other than SQ seems ok. Can we clarify this??
If you're happy with the sound, they probably actually did use the correct harness. It is available through Crutchfield. You can figure it out easily. How much was it through Crutchfield? If it's JUST the "free" harness, then it's probably not the correct Bose line adaptor. If you specified your car had the Bose and you paid extra for the harness, it may well be the correct one. What's the Crutchfield part number? Also, any problems with your overall system volume? Everyone I've helped that used the 7551 Metra harness with a Bose install, besides (or in addition to) problems with hiss/static also complained of low overall system volume.

2. After "pro" or "short-bus" -as i should now call it- installed, my 'fresh off the boat' installer messed something up. The bottom part of the dash (over shifter) is flush with the top part of the dash (right under radio) ONLY IN THE MIDDLE where those two clips where bottom dash slides up into top dash are. However on either side the top dash peice hangs over the bottom dash peice like a few MM or so (enough to look janky) HOW CAN THIS BE?? did he not tighten 2 screws at bottom of main dash peice or is the radio sticking out too far on the sides?? (due to flat front radio but curved dash)

Either way BY GOD im fixing this ****!!!
I just can't quite picture what you're trying to describe. Pictures. That being said, and educated (been down that road) guess would be that your installed didn't take the time/effort (no surprise) to drill out the stock mounting bracket holes and your D3 isn't sitting in the dash exactly like it should.

Every D3 install I've seen in the 350Z has needed to stock mounting bracket holes redrilled to get the face of the D3 aligned flush in the dash. Why? It just does. That is, if you're picky about the unit being centered in the opening and fitting flush top and bottom.

Good Luck,
Clark

Last edited by clarkemtp; 03-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Default Clark...

First off, Clark you da man.

Second...heres the part # for the harness they gave me:

120707550 Nissan Wire Harness receiver, receiver, 1995-up 1 0 0.00 0.00

Ok now i know this looks bad...but I DID specify TWICE over the phone to make SURE they sent me the harness for the Z w/ bose system.
Ya but my volume is fine...its not low at all..it can actually get REALLY loud.

Also...ill take some picks for you of my dash so you can get an idea of what im talking about. I can def tell you this though now that you mention it...the HU sits all the way to the right of the dash kit opening--its not centered. So basically HU face sits flush with the dash kit opening on the right side but theres alittle gap of about 3-4-5 MM on the left side.

Again, thanks for the help clark!!

Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 Install Guide