Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How much of a sound improvement do aftermarket speakers yield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of a sound improvement do aftermarket speakers yield?

So I have an 08 Nismo and have installed the JVC Arsenal KW-NT1 (a great system, BTW) and it replaced the stock non-Bose single CD head unit. I did not replace the stock tweets or the non-Bose stock Clarion speakers (which can handle a surprising amount of bass).

I am considering replacing all four speakers with 6.5" Polk DB651 (which also comes in a shallow mount version which I'm pretty sure I don't need; I know many here just replace the front two and don't bother with the backs but I like the surround effect I get from DVDs so I'm replacing the back speakers as well) and I have NO desire to install an amp (it uses too much power and weighs too much; I want to one day turn the Nismo into a track car).

My question will installing the Polks sans outboard amplifier yield a noticeable sound quality improvement over stock? Also, I was just going to keep the stock tweets because I've heard installing new tweets is a pain because of the drilling required but should I go ahead and do that as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO the single biggest improvement you can make is changing out the speakers for something you have listened to and like. Speakers have the biggest influence on the sound more than everything else, the cabin would be a close second. I'm not personally familiar with the 6.5" Polks but they're likely much better quality than the stock speakers. People have different tastes in music and different speakers sound differently. Grab a CD of your favorite tunes and find a store to listen to your prospective speakers.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
hellsoldiers08

I would go with Bostons or Alpine. I recently got bostons and moved the alpines in the back and boy it made a world of difference. I would recommend getting the same speaker all the way threw. My way was 2 years apart :/(not a good idea) You can get 4 channel amps that dont weigh that much honestly and plus you would get the most sound for buck with a small 4 channel amp. Just my 2cents
Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by paul350z
imho the single biggest improvement you can make is changing out the speakers for something you have listened to and like. speakers have the biggest influence on the sound more than everything else, the cabin would be a close second. I'm not personally familiar with the 6.5" polks but they're likely much better quality than the stock speakers. people have different tastes in music and different speakers sound differently. Grab a cd of your favorite tunes and find a store to listen to your prospective speakers.
+10000000
Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
I would go with Bostons or Alpine. I recently got bostons and moved the alpines in the back and boy it made a world of difference. I would recommend getting the same speaker all the way threw. My way was 2 years apart :/(not a good idea) You can get 4 channel amps that dont weigh that much honestly and plus you would get the most sound for buck with a small 4 channel amp. Just my 2cents
you could have saved money,and had things sound way better by eliminating the rear speakers completely and bridging the amp to just power the fronts
Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not going to install an amp to drive the aftermarket speakers. Don't even bother replacing the speakers imo. The head unit does not give out nearly enough power for aftermarket speakers.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
GalvatronType_R

Thanks for the replies. I've heard the Polks in person and they sounded very good (but they were driven by a Kenwood HU and outboard amp). The problem is there is no way to hear how they sound with my JVC HU unless I buy and install them.

I'm pretty certain that I will pull the trigger and do it. The speakers are $35/pair on Amazon and that ain't bad.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Thanks for the replies. I've heard the Polks in person and they sounded very good (but they were driven by a Kenwood HU and outboard amp). The problem is there is no way to hear how they sound with my JVC HU unless I buy and install them.

I'm pretty certain that I will pull the trigger and do it. The speakers are $35/pair on Amazon and that ain't bad.
For that price, there is no reason NOT to go for it. They WILL sound better than stockers even if only driven by the JVC headunit.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM
NismoZ123

Default JVC Arsenal subs

JVC Arsenal subs are made of... marijuana.

http://mobile.jvc.com/arsenal.jsp
http://mobile.jvc.com/hemp.jsp

FWIW I got a 10" and it's smokin

It rumbles in a really good way.. haha

Last edited by NismoZ123; 12-04-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
For that price, there is no reason NOT to go for it. They WILL sound better than stockers even if only driven by the JVC headunit.
I agree with you completely. Just about any speaker will provide better sound than the junk OEM Clarions. Not everyone wants an expensive setup (high-end speakers and external amp). You can get very good sound by going with a quality H/U and decent coaxial speakers.

The 6.5" Polk DB651 is an inexpensive coaxial speaker that has a quality build, and it will be fine with just the JVC KW-NT1 H/U’s built-in amp. This speaker will sound very good even when driven by a low power amplifier. In fact I doubt you will get much benefit with a more powerful external amp matched to this speaker. This model is designed for less power.

--Spike
Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
GalvatronType_R

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm not a big fan of Boston speakers because just like their home speakers, their car speakers sounded too bright and "trebley" to me. Also, I've heard the Alpine Type-S and Type-R speakers and while they sounded good, they didn't sound measurably better than the Polks to justify the higher price.

So I've ordered the Polk 651 and the component 6501 with 2 tweets, 2 woofers, and 2 crossovers from Amazon (for an absolute steal) and I'll post a review post installation and break in.

Last edited by GalvatronType_R; 12-14-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
StreetOC192

Glad to hear you made your decision. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Looking forward to pics and a review.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
tw8715

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm i got some subs in the car.. but want some better sound aswell!

so i think i want to replace just the front 2 speakers..

all i would need are 2 Polk 651 ? and replace them?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ For sure… If you are replacing the cheap stock Clarion fronts with 6.5" Polk DB651 coaxials.

You will notice a significant improvement, even if you just drive the Polk’s with your H/U’s internal amp.

--Spike
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
MDK

You'll get more improvement by switching out the head unit. The OEM unit is hilariously bad.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 PM
350ZToeRing

sorry OP I'm not trying to thread jack but I have a question relative to speaker quality. I have the BOSE system. I am changing to an aftermarket JVC headunit. I have heard that with the BOSE system that there is no point in changing the component speakers because they are powered by the BOSE amplifier and will not sound any better at all compared to the standard Z system which runs the components off of the Clarion headunit. Is this true? Should I not bother with aftermarket component speakers?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 AM
tw8715

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ For sure… If you are replacing the cheap stock Clarion fronts with 6.5" Polk DB651 coaxials.

You will notice a significant improvement, even if you just drive the Polk’s with your H/U’s internal amp.

--Spike
Are these a direct swap or need some spacers and modding ?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 AM
tw8715

^^^^ bump? anyone?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Stock speakers compared to aftermarket?

Even Sony speakers blow the Z's stock speakers out of the water.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 AM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
I am considering replacing all four speakers with 6.5" Polk DB651 (which also comes in a shallow mount version which I'm pretty sure I don't need; I know many here just replace the front two and don't bother with the backs but I like the surround effect I get from DVDs so I'm replacing the back speakers as well) and I have NO desire to install an amp (it uses too much power and weighs too much; I want to one day turn the Nismo into a track car).

My question will installing the Polks sans outboard amplifier yield a noticeable sound quality improvement over stock? Also, I was just going to keep the stock tweets because I've heard installing new tweets is a pain because of the drilling required but should I go ahead and do that as well? Thanks in advance.
To tw8715: I replaced my factory door speakers and cut off part of their "mount" and attached it to my TMA's and it works great for spacing.

Also, I understand why people wouldn't replace the rears, but they *do* make a difference imo. They're also a PITA to replace and if I'm working alone and my car doesn't want to cooperate they take about 2-3 hours to install. Most of that time is spent bitching at not being able to remove the plastic "hump".

For my tweeters I just replaced them and wedged them in there. There really wasn't much work to it other than making sure the factory tweeter covers didn't come off.

^^Just my 2 cents from my experiences.