Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 PM
soldierboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one Installed this Unit on 05 (non retractable cubby door). I want to get mine done. But everything looks too complicated especially Mike's Z.

Antimatter, I like the way you installed your GPS. Do you happen to have a step by step DIY? I never done this before. I need all the help I can get. I want to keep it simple and looks good.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
06blueZ

So how does the 1700 handle day/night screen brightness? Does it use GPS time and automatically adjust the map colors for day and night viewing?

Has anyone used it with a backup camera?

which side is the SD card slot on?

Does it have any media player built in? can it play music or videos loaded on an sd card or from the usb cable?

what is the latest map files date?

guessing the GPS antenna is built in, how is the gps reception there? how fast to the first lock?

is there a built in battery? if so, will it still work if the battery is removed?

Last edited by 06blueZ; 08-06-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
killa.beez33

Will that 06+ dash work in the 03-05 350z?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ The 2006 upper/forward cubby does not fit a 2003-2005 Z.

I'm wondering why do you ask this question? (Not flaming... just wondering).

--Spike
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ The 2006 upper/forward cubby does not fit a 2003-2005 Z.

I'm wondering why do you ask this question? (Not flaming... just wondering).

--Spike
he probably has an 03-05 and wants to upgrade it to the 06 look, it does look a lot cleaner in the 06+ depending on what your taste is. Doesnt seem like a totally unusual thing to ask, id love to install the 370z interior in my 350 but keep my exterior
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

FYI, Walmart has the Magellan 1700 for $188:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magellan-R...Names/12025098
Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
VanDamme22

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
So how does the 1700 handle day/night screen brightness? Does it use GPS time and automatically adjust the map colors for day and night viewing?

Does it have any media player built in? can it play music or videos loaded on an sd card or from the usb cable?

guessing the GPS antenna is built in, how is the gps reception there? how fast to the first lock?

is there a built in battery? if so, will it still work if the battery is removed?
+1 if anyone knows the answers to any of these great questions.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
KBurn

Originally Posted by 06blueZ

The brightness during the day is just fine for me. I used it today and it was clear and easy to see. It has a option for night maps so it changes. Havent used it at night yet.

SD slot is on the top, in the center.

It doesnt have a media player built in the menus but it might play videos from an SD card. I know it has a picture viewer, not sure about other media since i dont have a card to try out.

The manual said that magellan puts out yearly updates for maps so im assuming it would have 2010 maps.

GPS reception is great for me. Locks my signal with a few seconds everytime. First time i set it up it found me within 15 seconds. ANd the startup is really quick. After i start my car the gps is at the map within a few seconds.

It has a battery but it only lasts about 30min - 1 hr. Its pretty weak.

I installed mine in my center cubby using the window mount. The suction cup is attached to the flat plastic disk that i mounted in the back of the cubby. Its really secure. I plan on getting an 03 nav cubby eventually but this works for now. Im looking for a PS2 to buy to hook up to the video input too

The unit is really good though, i bought it for $150 and im very happy with it so far.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
tsz2g4f

here's my question that i dont think has been asked yet, and i've scoured the interwebs to no avail:

We've both seen in this thread that the Magellan 1700 can be modified to fit into either the 06+ style cubby OR 03 style cubby.

My personal preference would be the 03 style cubby as the lid retracts inside the dash and is not a nuisance drive with the lid open while reading the GPS.

Seeing that i have an 06 Z, does the 03 style cubby fit in an 06 Z dash?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM
dcains

Can't answer your question, but I can say the lid in my '08 makes the GPS easier to see when the sun is at certain angles, but it never gets in the way.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM
tsz2g4f

Originally Posted by dcains
Can't answer your question, but I can say the lid in my '08 makes the GPS easier to see when the sun is at certain angles, but it never gets in the way.
when you have time could you upload a photo of your setup please?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by tsz2g4f
when you have time could you upload a photo of your setup please?
Here you go. I didn't use the 7", though, just a 4.3" screen (Garmin 260W), which I can easily pop out and use in my other cars:

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 PM
cpatel529

This was an awesome thread! I am replacing my OEM navigation system. I dont like the control system and the inability for a passenger to be able to change GPS locations while driving. I used to have a Acura TSX and the navigation system was touch-screen and changeable while driving.

Just picked up the Magellan 1700 today along with a cigarette accessory port to connect to switched power and ground. I was going to go with the Magellan 9020 or 9050 (bluetooth) but decided that this was a better bargain for what I was looking for. The HU is going to be the Pioner 3200BT. This will provide my connectivity for IPhone and bluetooth.

I have a 2008 Roadster w/ OEM navigation so going to mount the Navi unit where the stock navigation screen used to be. Will keep the OEM navi controls for looks purposes.

Hopefully will be starting this build this Friday.

Last edited by cpatel529; 03-28-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to give this a try with my garmin. Question, are you guys still using the car plug for power are tapping into the wiring of the car. If so, how are you doing this, thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by marques1
I'm going to give this a try with my garmin. Question, are you guys still using the car plug for power are tapping into the wiring of the car. If so, how are you doing this, thanks!
I bought a cigarette lighter adaptor from Best Buy (costs approx $11.00). It is what the cigarette lighter plugs into and has positive/negative leads on the other end. I connected this to the switchable power line on my wiring harness for my new HU and then the cigarette lighter attachment from the navi will go directly into it. No need to mess with any navi powering connectors. Havent tested or mounted anything yet but in theory it should work.

I dont think that you want to directly connect the navi to a 12V power source. From reading different threads, I think the navi requires less than 12V and the cigarette style light provides this lower output.

Chirag
Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good write up, just saw this in the store and was thinking the same thing
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 AM
marques1

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I bought a cigarette lighter adaptor from Best Buy (costs approx $11.00). It is what the cigarette lighter plugs into and has positive/negative leads on the other end. I connected this to the switchable power line on my wiring harness for my new HU and then the cigarette lighter attachment from the navi will go directly into it. No need to mess with any navi powering connectors. Havent tested or mounted anything yet but in theory it should work.

I dont think that you want to directly connect the navi to a 12V power source. From reading different threads, I think the navi requires less than 12V and the cigarette style light provides this lower output.

Chirag
Is their anyway you can diy this for us when you get to it. I do not want to butcher my z, lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by marques1
Is their anyway you can diy this for us when you get to it. I do not want to butcher my z, lol.
Sure.. I will take some pictures as I go through the install. I am just getting into car audio/video so this is all new to me. However, im an engineer so I find this stuff pretty exciting and it keeps me up at night thinking about what to do next. haha. I know.. lame.. =)

Will probably be working on it slowly this week and then doing the final navi and HU install this weekend.

Chi
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
marques1

Originally Posted by cpatel529
Sure.. I will take some pictures as I go through the install. I am just getting into car audio/video so this is all new to me. However, im an engineer so I find this stuff pretty exciting and it keeps me up at night thinking about what to do next. haha. I know.. lame.. =)

Will probably be working on it slowly this week and then doing the final navi and HU install this weekend.

Chi
awesome
Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Vereku

Great post, I've been dying to try this and have only attempted just placing small monitors in my cubby to see if I could stand having it open (non retracting) I'm inspired to try something new and maybe attempt an install. Thanks to all involved.

Quick Reply: Bought a Magellan 1700 GPS 7 inch screen fits in Cubby