Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

One Off Front Speaker Pods - Tipped & Inset

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One Off Front Speaker Pods - Tipped & Inset

so I had a little free time this weekend and I thought I'd try and make some new speaker pods. More specifically challenge myself to build something a little more difficult, something I thought I couldn't do (practice if you will) And my front pods were seriously lacking in the looks department.

Im no audiophile so I don't know much about sounds staging but I do know that my old rings were just shooting the sound directly into the floor of the car. So with these I tried to shoot up and out of the floor wells. Also wanted them to be set in there more so people wouldn't kick them as much. Although once I got finished they stuck out just as far as my old rings. o well.

Sorry still not finished yet....... too many steps and gotta repeat it all twice

started with cutting the holes bigger, kinda scary, cut even more than pictured here. then wrapped them in foil and made molds of those holes.

then i cleaned them up a bit and tested the rings to get the angle and position i wanted.
used hot glue and cut pieces off a broken carbon fiber arrow to complete the skeleton.

got a little company while i was working on them.

some more test fitting.

wrapped my skeleton. had to harden them with the speaker rings on, cause the fabric was pushing in, and then they wouldnt have fit.

I forgot to take any pictures while I was laying on glass, so lets jump to my first coat of bondo. in the test fit pics the rings is sitting away from the door panel but i assure you it sits 100% flush, there was just a spot of excess resin

so I've done another coat or 2 of bondo since then, almost flawless now. just need to make a milkshake tonight and smooth it completely, cause i guess im gunna have to paint it instead of vinyl. ohh also need to fix my mounts to the pods. check back in the next couple days for a finished product

Last edited by Jackson0927; 10-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
lgear080

badass
Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

cool effort for sure.
In the future, you want to aim slightly to the center and fairly well up.
What you have here is speaker fired directly at the person sitting next to it.
Pretty much the opposite of what you want to do unfortunately. You will have the closest speaker pathlength also firing right at you.
Bottom line is that if you enjoy it, so beit.

Wicked CAS makes a great pod for pretty cheap, i think i paid like 199 or so.
It just bolts to each door panel from behind.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Jackson0927

Originally Posted by bmccann101
cool effort for sure.
In the future, you want to aim slightly to the center and fairly well up.
What you have here is speaker fired directly at the person sitting next to it.
Pretty much the opposite of what you want to do unfortunately. You will have the closest speaker pathlength also firing right at you.
Bottom line is that if you enjoy it, so beit.

Wicked CAS makes a great pod for pretty cheap, i think i paid like 199 or so.
It just bolts to each door panel from behind.
yeah i understand.... they didn't end up pointing exactly where I anticipated or wanted them to. There were too many angles and test fits i thought i had them pointing where the right way. I wanted the passenger one shooting at the driver and vice versa. They do seem a little better in person. If they end up sounding worse then I'll just ditch em and try again.

I don't really like the wicked cas ones, plus then i'd be just like everyone else. Im all about building stuff on my own
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Done Deal DR

Nice work, interested in the outcome. I liked your 2+dog work too.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Jackson0927

just got them finished up last night, had to wait for the paint to cure up and managed to get them installed before work this morning.

don't sound bad at all, actually pretty damn good, definitely better than my old rings. They're a little in your face, so I'll prolly pull some of the gain out tonight to even it up a lil. Not ideal positioning but I'm thrilled with them and learned a lot. Knowing me I'll prolly re-do them next year.

I'll take pictures of them tonight.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM
freecoffee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a fancy pod, for sure. Nice work.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
aaron.cobb3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome man, seriously awesome. How did you learn to do this and what did you practice on? Even seeing a bit how you did it I would still not have a clue This is obviously not your first time doing this. Once again this looks amazing. One of stuff is the best when it's subtle and so well done like this