Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket Radio on BOSE speaker components

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
K-TownGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio on BOSE speaker components

Hey Guys,

I searched and did come across a thread that relates to this...

I was wondering if anyone is currently running an aftermarket radio/CD deck with the OEM BOSE speaker components?

Reason for me asking is that when i used to have a 3rd generation Eclipse and upgraded the stock headunit to an alpine, the sound quality turned to sh***. i had to lower a lot of the settings to make it sound decent.

Do you guys with aftermarket headunits running BOSE components have this issue? I am sick of my '03 OEM BOSE HU skipping and not reading CD's...

all input is much appreciated!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
RileZ33

I have a Clarion HU with all the stock Bose components. The Bose proprietary impedance (and whatever other GARBAGE they have) messes with anything other than the Bose HU. My plan is to rip it all out and replace.

Check out the sub-forum of the Audio-Video Forum Audio Builds https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds-496/

Last edited by RileZ33; 11-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Start out fresh and rip it ALL out. You will be much happier with the sound quality.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Kenwood 7180
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 122554
Kenwood 7180
+3 for ripping everything out and starting phresh, so worth it
Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Z4ToddB

Yep. Took the scenic route to get there, but ripping out (or bypassing) the Bose crap is the only way to go. ALL Bose crap...speakers, amps and the worthless headunit.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
ambushphoto

I have an alpine head unit with bose components. It was a drastic improvement over the bose HU but it still sounds awful. I am going to rip it all out in the spring. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a sub since I dont want to sacrifice any cargo space in the hatch. I already have to play tetris to get my golf bag in the back.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
woodychai

Hey Richard, if you want help let me know ok
or if you want to listen to it

i have an aftermarket radio with the stock bosh setup, sound is great, better than before with the original radio . you have to use the pac I or II to connect you head unit to the bose amp and speaker.....very easy to do. the pac is around 40 either from ebay or amazon. took me about one hour to connect the new head unit power and speaker wires to the pac....again this is my 2 cent

Last edited by woodychai; 11-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You do need a PAC harness/connector to join your existing Bose amps and speakers to a non-Bose H/U. Without the PAC connector you have sound, volume, and basic operation issues.

Unfortunately, the PAC connector cannot make the Z’s lame Bose components sound any better than their poor build quality allows. The tiny SubW amp is a joke, and the cheap speakers won’t provide quality sound.

--Spike
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM
usmcninja

actually, I didn't have to use the PAC, I just use the regular Metra or Scosche wire harness with my Boss H/U and it sound awesome with the Bose. I know, I know, Bose in the Z is shitty...I hate it, sub is useless...that's what I use to think, but when I installed the Boss H/U in, it sounds unbelievable. I can actually hear and feel the Bass of the sub. surprisingly the sub put out a very tight and clean Bass. the Boss H/U is 85w x 4, I think this is why it does make a different. I know the Boss is a cheap H/U, but it has all the option and the power...beside the name I think it's worth spending the money. I'm just throwing this out there. and a cool thing is you can actually play music from your phone over the H/U just by using the Bluetooth option. this is for some one that doesn't have too much money to spend on audio and get a nice sound out of the Bose. DON'T GET THE PAC OEM....my H/U is BV-9560B but if you get the BV-9560bi it will have the ipod control. hope this help.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 AM
K-TownGuy

Originally Posted by woodychai
Hey Richard, if you want help let me know ok
or if you want to listen to it

i have an aftermarket radio with the stock bosh setup, sound is great, better than before with the original radio . you have to use the pac I or II to connect you head unit to the bose amp and speaker.....very easy to do. the pac is around 40 either from ebay or amazon. took me about one hour to connect the new head unit power and speaker wires to the pac....again this is my 2 cent
Woody, i'd be down to meet up and hear how it sounds... i had always ugraded component speakers in previous vehicles i've had before so yeah, understood that there's a limit to how much of an improvement but i'm out of the whole super loud and bump sub phase lol. I'd just like to enjoy it this |--| much more... lol

Originally Posted by Spike100
You do need a PAC harness/connector to join your existing Bose amps and speakers to a non-Bose H/U. Without the PAC connector you have sound, volume, and basic operation issues.

Unfortunately, the PAC connector cannot make the Z’s lame Bose components sound any better than their poor build quality allows. The tiny SubW amp is a joke, and the cheap speakers won’t provide quality sound.

--Spike
Originally Posted by usmcninja
actually, I didn't have to use the PAC, I just use the regular Metra or Scosche wire harness with my Boss H/U and it sound awesome with the Bose. I know, I know, Bose in the Z is shitty...I hate it, sub is useless...that's what I use to think, but when I installed the Boss H/U in, it sounds unbelievable. I can actually hear and feel the Bass of the sub. surprisingly the sub put out a very tight and clean Bass. the Boss H/U is 85w x 4, I think this is why it does make a different. I know the Boss is a cheap H/U, but it has all the option and the power...beside the name I think it's worth spending the money. I'm just throwing this out there. and a cool thing is you can actually play music from your phone over the H/U just by using the Bluetooth option. this is for some one that doesn't have too much money to spend on audio and get a nice sound out of the Bose. DON'T GET THE PAC OEM....my H/U is BV-9560B but if you get the BV-9560bi it will have the ipod control. hope this help.
thanks for the notes! i've taken them down and will be tackling this just after xmas. why do familty member wants such expensive gifts this year? lol
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird, y'all must have the ealier Z's as there's nothing wrong with mine other than no bluetooth for my phone. It sounds excellent with CD or MP3! The radio stations are weak in my area. The front speakers are very good for paper. The rear and sub itself is crap. It actually sounds better with the fade to the front and the sub removed. So replacing the sub with a shallow dual 2ohm would fix the bass. It's not worth the work involved relacing the rear speakers. The secreat is JL Audio Bose Cleansweep. If that's not enough, replace the front speakers as well.

My '08 does not have the subwoofer amp or cd skip issues. Weird, I was searching to decide on wehter to change my setup and end up posting instead of finding what I want.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for bumping an almost 2 year old thread
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM
MLBlackout

Default metra harness

i bought a pioneer avh-x5600bhs h/u and a regular old metra harness with bose amp connect. its what crutchfield recommended. im in the middle of install ran into some other snags not related but im wanting to get some info from yall. the oem h/u has four plugs into the back. this metra connects to two of them. anyone ever done this swap? are those other two plugs neccessary or cani continue without an issue. im not into a lot of bass so the bose sub is perfect for the music i listen too. input please?
MLBlackout
Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed a pioneer avh-x3600bhs in mine with the Bose. Speakers sound better but the sub should be embarrassed to be called one.