Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Subs not working but amps are on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subs not working but amps are on...

Ok, i installed 2 Alpine type r 10s under the strut bar along with 2 monoblock 650w alpine amps. the power and remote are run off a splitter supplying power to the two amps. it worked great for about a month then i noticed on a long ride that my subs werent hitting but the amps were lit up. i turn car off/on (to restart amps) and i can hear them hitting a lil (very clear bass) then i turn up the volume a click by click then they cut out... i can keep doing this and the problem reoccurs... NOW they dont come on at ALL. Both amps took a crap or what?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I vote for tinsel leads on the subs or really bad power to the amps. (Although I would expect them to cycle off and back on if they had a power/ground issue that was starving them)

If you have any kind of speaker available, you could just disconnect one of the subs and connect the "test" speaker to ensure the amps still have output.

Also, if the tinsel leads are gone on the subs, any cheap multimeter will read "open" across the sub's terminals.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 04-15-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Z_enthusiast

i was running the 4ohm set up at the time and the power cable for the amps isnt that big but wouldnt it be messed up from day one if it were a power/ground issue? very well could be the subs but i was thinking since they DID work when i cycled the power and they sounded clear i wasnt thinking it could be subs
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
i was running the 4ohm set up at the time and the power cable for the amps isnt that big but wouldnt it be messed up from day one if it were a power/ground issue? very well could be the subs but i was thinking since they DID work when i cycled the power and they sounded clear i wasnt thinking it could be subs
If the problem is corrosion or a loose connection, it could work and then not work.

Tinsel leads on subs are kind of finicky when they start to fail. Most of the time they are dead at lower volumes than just "switch on" at higher volume.

However, the nature of the failure can sometimes cause the symptoms you had.

A test speaker and/or a multimeter would probably get you a definitive answer in a matter of minutes.

Either can be had at radio shack for ~$15 or less.

If you have the amp for your highs in close proximity to your sub amps you could just connect the 4 ohm load to an output on the amp you use for your highs. Subs don't like full range sound, but they should "play" the high frequencies enough to demonstrate they work.

It is unusual to have two subs fail at once, but sometimes one has problems that aren't noticed until the other starts having problems too.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 04-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Ok, i installed 2 Alpine type r 10s under the strut bar along with 2 monoblock 650w alpine amps. the power and remote are run off a splitter supplying power to the two amps. it worked great for about a month then i noticed on a long ride that my subs werent hitting but the amps were lit up. i turn car off/on (to restart amps) and i can hear them hitting a lil (very clear bass) then i turn up the volume a click by click then they cut out... i can keep doing this and the problem reoccurs... NOW they dont come on at ALL. Both amps took a crap or what?

Thanks
Can you explain further how you are powering them. Where is the power source coming from before it gets into the splitter. You mean you are using the same source for the main amp power and also the remote turn-on?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Z_enthusiast

One wire from battery then splits to two wires for amps. then the remote it coming from the radio power wire, one from radio to amp 1 then from amp 1 to amp 2.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 AM
TURBOROADSTER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At bare minimum , I would run 4 gauge off the battery with an Anl fuse holder within 18" of the battery . You then can then split to each amp with a fused distribution block . Put the Block close to the amps , and run 8 gauge to each amp . Do the same for grounds , 8 gauge out of each amp(short run ) to a non fused distribution block , to 4 gauge , to grounding point . Make sure grounding point is bare metal and not paper thin , you want your screw to be tight .
As far as the remote wire , split off the wire before the amps , and run a separate wire to each amp .

Last edited by TURBOROADSTER; 04-16-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a sub and amp that I haven't put in my Z yet. We'll pinpoint the issue soon.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

What I would do is to go over and make sure nothing came loose from vibration
(RCA wires, power and ground as well as the speaker wires going to the subs.).